Thursday, April 4, 2024

Friday Face OFF How I draw

 

 Welcome To Friday Face OFF (FFO)

This is the place to show off your faces or your face. Post any type of face from any medium. You can create it, or find it in nature, or even that face in the design of you woodwork in your house. 
Human, animal, alien, or monster. 
ANY KIND OF FACE!
 
I want to make clear that I have never had any real formal art schooling or classes. Yes, my Nan showed me things but not really classes. I did take on watercolor class and OMG! that just didn't work for me. Everything I have learned, especially, drawing I have done on my own. Some of it is very difficult and some just comes to me like maybe it crossed over from a past life. 
The one thing, you can take classes, watch YT or learn from a family memeber. You MUST create in a way that works for you. There are so many different ways to draw and you just have to find out what you like.
So here is a sample of me drawing a face. Side veiws are more difficult for me so I try to draw them often. Practice....
I have mentioned before that sometimes I scratch in a face, or sketch it out. This one I sketched out and the rought draft is from a photo but I changed it.
Oh and sorry for the photos. It is so dark with stormy weather here that even with lights on the photos are crap. I hope you can see them OK. Click on them for larger view.
Getting started.
 

 Starting to get things in line. Teeth or no teeth?


 Lining out shading points. I got rid of the ear too.


 I love graphite because I can easily change things like the nose and the mouth with a simple line or shading.


The nose is different with errasing a line then shading. I'm starting to like it better. I need to bring down the cheek bone.



This is where I left off for the day. I have a lot of things to work on, and I still don't like the cheek bone. Also I will be giving this face some wrinkles.
For all of you who have mentioned to me that you can't draw a face, I hope you give it a try. It is easier than you think. 
 
This week the featured artist is,
 
Have a great weekend.
Nicole
 

24 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Nicole, I am so with you - just start and find your way. I tried YT, too long. Bought a book on watercolors - don´t have the patience.
And yes - practice - a lack here atm...
Most important: It needs to be FUN! :-) Right?
With that: Have a great Friday!

Christine said...

Lovely face Nicole! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Love the faces, a great variety, tfs. Hope you are keeping well! Hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Hi Nicole,
thanks for showing your tutorials. We all have own styles and methods.
I haven't take any courses of drawing or painting. Actually I first time in my life tried to draw somethin after I retired and started to make ATCs in 2011. And later tried to paint somethin after learned to do something digitally and bought a photoshop - and noticed that can learn:) All was new for me. Of cause when working for all my working life at advertising agencies see lot of art of that kind art styles.
I hope your weekend is full of joy and inspirations xx

NatureFootstep said...

Hi Nicole, nice to see the progress of your drawing. I wish I could draw faces, but it is too hard for me.

We have bad weather over here too. Winter seen never to end this so called, spring. As soon snow melted there ane new ones ciming. Today it is white, AGAIN! :(

sirkkis said...

Hi Nicole, thank you for presenting your drawing tutorials. We all have our own styles and methods. Actually I hadn't tried ever in my life to draw or paint anything before in 2011 retired and started to make ATCs for my blog. I once tried to draw something and noticed that its not impossible. I haven't ever taken any course, but as working all my work life at advertising agencies I had seen a lot of art in advertising style... Actually my motto is the lifetime learning!
I'm wising you a enjoyable, inspiring weekend xx

roentare said...

Seeing your sketches revitalise my day. Raw and original.

Violetta said...

Oh yes, the picture can be seen quite clearly, dear Nicole. You don´t have to had lessons if you have pleasure in painting. I think your drawings are very nice....your own style I think.
Have a good time and all the best
Violetta

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Is it really Friday again? Where do the weeks go?

Tom said...

...Nicole, you have your own special style! Thanks for hosting the party, take care and be well.

Gene Black said...

There have been too many things consuming my time lately. I hope to be back soon.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The most important thing in art is hand-eye coordination.

My name is Erika. said...

You are wise woman when it comes to learning about art Nicole. And I totally agree with you. You have to learn which way is right for you. I think your latest face looks great. I know what you mean about side views. Have a great weekend.hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

Everyone who creates art seems to have developed individual ways to create features and faces, and you way is beautiful.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

LA Paylor said...

you showed what shadow means to faces
LeeAnna

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a spectacular way to create your amazing face. I loved seeing it progress and develop under your clever hand. You definitely have a skill set I don't possess.

Last night, your comments counter didn't appear. I refreshed and nothing. It just didn't exist. Today I refreshed and it is here and I see others have been able to leave comments. Thanks for hosting FFO, Nicole.

Linda said...

Nice work! I really should try drawing faces. It’s been a long, long time.

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Nicole! I enjoyed watching you develop your current face. She looks Hawaiian to me. I have a very short post this week. We have to fly to Florida because Terry's brother is struggling with cancer. I'll do better next week. Have a great week!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I can do animal faces better than humans, I find drawing human faces tricky. perhaps I need more practice.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I can draw animal faces better than human faces. Perhaps I need more practice.

carol l mckenna said...

Your artwork of faces is awesome ~ thanks for the ssries of 'how to' ~ hugs,


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Jeanie said...

I've never had formal art classes either, apart from maybe a day long workshop or something like that. My mom did a lot of art and crafty things with me at home and I just learned. i love your faces -- I think they are hard and it is interesting to see your process.

CAAC said...

You draw such realistic faces. I have so much to learn! Thanks for challenging us all with your weekly art host date, Nicole!

baili said...

you are Brilliant artist Nichole and admire how amazingly you draw various faces with different expressions ,i really love your skills and the way you can use them .it's not the case for so many . i have passion and desire that i could draw but i did not make any effort until now ,i am still wondering what is waiting for me ahead
these are great progressing images and many can learn lot
thanks