Monday, March 18, 2024

T Stands for Sunny days

 

 Hi Everyone!

I'm joining the T-Party with
I will tell you what I am doing with these seeds further down the post.
 

I had to drive south to Reedsport. Half way there is a very small town called Gardiner. As most of the Oregon coast the towns for decades have been dying. Gardiner is an unoccupied community with about 284 people. There is a post office and a fire department, but you can't even buy a loaf of bread there. You have to drive either to Florence or Reedsport. The town wasn't always this way. 
Gardiner is named for a Boston merchant whose ship, the Bostonian, shipwrecked at the mouth of the Umpqua on October 1, 1850. Gardiner was seeking to trade along the river, and most of his goods were saved from the ship and moved to the location that came to be the town of Gardiner. In 1851, the site became the headquarters of the Umpqua customs district, and a post office named "Gardiners City" was established the same year. The name of the post office changed to "Gardiner City" and eventually to its current name. 

The Gardiner Historic District, which encompasses nearly all of Gardiner,has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1994. Several steamboats were constructed at Gardiner for trade up the Umpqua River Outside the remnants of the International Paper mill in Gardiner, Oregon.A plywood plant opened in Gardiner in 1954, joining the lumber mill (or sawmill) that had been in the town for many years. Gardiner was formerly the site of the first International Paper mill on the West Coast. The paper mill operated from 1963 until 1999, and was one of the largest employers on the southern Oregon Coast. The mill buildings were demolished in 2006.A railroad, the Longview, Portland & Northern (LP&N), served the IP mill until it closed. The railroad runs from East Gardiner Junction to the old plant site. The old railroad. Yes, that would be my car.

 
Hwy 101 runs through the town and then the Umpqua River. The tide was out when I stopped so it is pretty icky. The dock has been broken for many years.

 


 



 

 


 


 


 

 

Now what the heck am I doing with those seeds? They are carrot seeds. As with most of you who garden,every year is a new learning curve due to the weather changes. Anyway it is for me. I also am always looking for a better way to grow food. I have harvested some good carrot crops over the years but carrots seem difficult to grow. I hate weeding out the carrots. So, I watched a YT that showed me this.

Take any kind of container (no drainage holes) Place 2 layers of toilet tissue down.
 

 Next place a cloth on top of the tissue. I used cheese cloth and doubled it.

 
 Now poor water over it until soaked.

 

.

 Take the carrot seeds and sprinkle them over the cloth.

 

 Cover with plastic wrap and poke small holes in it. Then place in a dark warm place.

 

 I started to use plastic wrap from a roll and then remembered I got these from the $ tree a few years ago.



 They come in 3 sizes and are quite funny looking
 Then pull it open. They aren't very sturdy but it worked perfect for this.
  To see how to finish this, since my seeds are not that far along here is the video. Click here
We have had summer like weather here for the last 4 days. Yes, I have been out in the garden. Last year, because of my foot surgery, I was unable to winterize my garden area. That's what I 've been doing. I amended enough soil to fill 1 25gal grow bag and 10 5gal buckets. I thought I would be sore but it has been the best work out and I have accomplished so much. I have 1 more day of nice weather and then at least 17 days of rain. This is good soil.

Hmmmm Lemon or Molasses cookies? I'll take one of each.  Made by Franz.

I've been drinking ginger tea to help with lupus. I am really enjoying it.
That's it for now.
See ya at the party.
 
Nicole

20 comments:

roentare said...

I love ginger tea for nausea symptoms.

Mae Travels said...

working in the garden must feel great after your long time being shut in and immobile. Good luck with the carrot crop!
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Christine said...

Enjoy your carrot seeds, nice cookies. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

peppylady (Dora) said...

Lot of sawmill towns are going to the wayside. Most of them our automated.

Iris Flavia said...

Very interesting post, Nicole!
You can´t even buy a bread there?! I hope there is a bus running at least...
I certainly like the pic of the old track.
That´s quite some gardening work you are doing! Have a yummy T-Day!

baili said...

thanks for sharing Oregon's town Gardiner history dear Nichole .
i found it interesting and sad both because from images town looks a left behind place ,so lone :(

i wonder why people left this town if it has no serious issues that were hard for survival ?

i am happy you are fine and weather is also allowing you to plant this year , i never saw carrot plantation so it was nice to learn about actually .

your cookies looks tasty :) and ginger tea is so yummy :)))
hugs and blessings

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Good luck with the carrots. When I still had a vegetable garden that’s one item that gave me no trouble. We always had lots to freeze.

Gene Black said...

That is an interesting way to start carrots. I didn’t watch the video but you photos remind me of the seed things that I remember seeing years ago to start a flower bed quickly. They sold those in catalogs years ago.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You are such a dedicated gardener -- good luck with your carrot seeds!

Tom said...

...those plastic bowl cover are neat, we use them.

Rita said...

There's something ghostly about towns that are receding back into nature.
I hope the carrots sprout and you can plant seedlings that will do fantastically well. Seems like a good idea in theory. Let us know how it goes. :)

CJ Kennedy said...

I enjoyed your post about Gardiner. I'll also have to tell Himself about how your started your carrot seeds. A cookie in each hand is a balanced diet. Happy T Day

dmZapp said...

N, nice to see them all, first a pic of your delightful origami car parked in historic Gardiner. I remember you showing me how it all folded up inside….amazing. Yaya carrots from Territorial were the best for me on the coast, extremely reliable, and I drink ginger tea also, but I mix it up with Celestial seasons Bengal Spice, makes me dream of a good curry dinner, and my old standard Celestial’s Peppermint. Other brands are just made out of junk mint. Take care, stay well, hello to Mr. M. Donna

Valerie-Jael said...

What a pits that the historic places have been left to decAY. I think I'll choose a lemon cookie, please. Happy T Day!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Those railroad tracks make good walking and biking trails.

Happy Spring!

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde de terça-feira. Infelizmente muitos lugares históricos são abandonados. Obrigado pela visita e comentário, desejo muita saúde, minha querida amiga Nicole.

Lisca said...

How interesting to read about Gardiner. A real shame that it is nearly a ghost town.
Great that you had such a good day working in your garden. Thanks for teaching me about carrot seeds. I might give this a try.
Happy T-Day,
Lisca

carol l mckenna said...

You are one busy and creative lady ~ Hope the carrots sprout and you are delighted ~ hugs,

Also hope Gardiner will be revived ~ perhaps tourism might help ~ that river is a big attraction ~ you would think??? ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Jeanie said...

Rick usually grows carrots. I'm going to have to mention this method!

Lowcarb team member said...

Good luck with the carrots and keep on enjoying your ginger tea.

All the best Jan