Thursday, October 12, 2023

Friday Face OFF Something New

Posting early. Just got home from Salem.
Welcome to Friday Face OFF (FFO) 
This is the place to show off any type of face in any medium. This week I have something new to show you. OK.... so the first photo is a skull but it is still Oct. LOL
I took two skulls and cut one to fit into the other. Once I get done with it you won't see the glue line. I think it's too cool. 
Now for something new. 
This is a makeup training face. The skin is silicon and kind of feels like skin but dosen't react like skin. More on that later.
This was inexpensive and I do like the face but I wish I would have purchase a full head model. Here's why. The face fits into this plastic stand. Haaa fit? It doesn't fit at all the face keeps falling out of the stand. I have to rig up something better.

The other thing is that you must have very clean hands while working because the face picks up what ever. I'm a messy artist so this will be a problem for me. hee hee hee.
The skin picks up everything so it dosen't react like real skin. Also blending on the skin is difficult. I think I will try a very thin layer of mineral oil to see if that helps.
 
Now for some playing around.

I wanted to try some makeup first. Got a few items form the $ store. Applies easy and stays in place.
 

Since I am NOT buying makeup for this I wanted to see what mediums worked and cleaned easily. Red acrylic chalk paint. Dries quickly. No blending at all.


 This is watercolor. As you can see it comes off the skin. Dries slowly and I can see some applications for this.


 Next is gouache. I used it with and without water. Again, I can see some applications with this.



Acrylic paints work. Drying time is the problem.
 

 However, blending is possible.
 

 


 To clean the face use VOO. I only had EVOO. I'm sure any kind of oil will work but this is what was recommended. I don't use it for cooking I don't like the taste of OO


 Next week I will try some oil paints and air brushing but for now here is a clean face.


 Makeup foundation. Did not go on evenly. Wanted to try it thought. Might be the cheap $ store brand.


 Eye shadow in yellow, white and a hint of purple.


Working with makeup is so subtle, again the $ store brand. I don't like it.
 

 I decided to do 1/2 the face. I wiped off some of the foundation to show you the difference.


 

 I started playing around with Mica dust. The colors are much more bold and shows the mica.


 Again, just playing around. No rhyme or reason for the design.


 The eye is very difficult to clean. But a tooth pick gets into the cracks.


 Now what I'm going to do with this face will be beautiful and some creepy stuff. First I need to rig up a better stand. There are times when I want to work with the face in my hands so I don't want to glue the head in. I have some beautiful designs in my brain and some creepy things too. This will be a fun winter project. I will be taking pro photos of each face. So what do you have planned for the winter?

 
Well I hope you found this at least entertaining if not interesting. 
I'm off to Salem today so I need to finish this up.
Featured today is, 
 
I will also be linking up with Gillena.

You know the rules but just in case you are new to FFO.
 This is where you can show any kind of face in any medium. Let your imagination go wild. Then link your blog to this one, link up with MR. Linky and start leaving comments. You will not be disappointed.
Now it's time to show me your face.
 
Nicole 
 

26 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The Makeup Face is very intriguing . . . can't wait to see what you do to transform it!

Rita said...

What's fascinating is that you can clean the face off like that! But it doesn't even seem like a good tool for practicing makeup application. Weird. I liked when you painted colors all over it with the black lines. Cool! I am sure you will think of things much creepier--LOL! :)

Jeanie said...

I've never seen a make-up model like that. What an interesting piece. Pity about it wobbling in the stand.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had to read this three times to understand what you were explaining. Sorry the stand didn't hold up as expected. I loved the last design. I'm amazed you had to clean the face with EVOO. Like you, IL don't care for the taste. I also love mica powders (dust). I think the design is fabulous. Goodness. I was amazed at how difficult it was to clean the eye.

I hope to take a short break before winter sets in. Thanks for hosting this event, Nicole.

Iris Flavia said...

Very, VERY cool double-skulls! Very well done!
The training face looks like an endless fun project, too - I look forward to what you come up with! Happy Friday!

Christine said...

Love the skull piece so creative as is the makeup face. Grannie Annie's faces are so good. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

sirkkis said...

Wonderful project, Nicole. Thanks for the tutorial.
Happy FFO xx

roentare said...

The colour stripes on the face are fascinating!

Rostrose said...

Dear Nicole, your idea with the double skull is brilliant, I'm curious to see what it looks like after your further revision. The training face is a funny thing, I would have liked that as a little girl and would have painted it to death ;-DDD Plastic stands like that are ALWAYS rubbish - try reinforcing it with wire... or maybe a small wooden easel would work? Your experiments look interesting - you'll definitely have plenty to do with them in the winter ;-)
All the best, Traude
🍁🌻🍂 🌻🍁
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/10/auf-dem-schneeberg-und-noch-ein-paar.html

My name is Erika. said...

This face is very interesting. I didn't know they had practice make-up faces, but I can see why they do. I like what you're doing with the curved lines. And I really enjoyed reading about how you tried different media.Does cleaning with olive oil leave a residue or are you able to get it all off? hugs-Erika

Mae Travels said...

I’m always awed by your creativity with materials that wouldn’t be expected for art work! what a neat face to work on — expressionless and plain so you can do whatever you want.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gene Black said...

The conjoined skulls will be interesting. I do wonder just what you will do to/with them.

by EAGHL said...

As always your work is amazing. How you do such spectacular pieces is wonderful. You are kind to feature such an artist as myself. Thank you Nicole.

Granny Annie said...

Love your work! Thanks for featuring by EAGHL

Tom said...

...my plan is to enjoy fall and then winter's quiet beauty.

LA Paylor said...

what a cool new tool for you! there must be ways to clean these easier, can't imagine students of make up are all that careful or patient... so you'll find the right way to use it soon
LeeAnna

Violetta said...

Oh, just stopped by following your nice comment on my side. Interesting posting. If you don´t mind I will link my post - with my face with the make-up for the Dirndl-session.
All the best
Violetta

carol l mckenna said...

Intriguing facial creations ~ you are so creative ! Xo


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Gillena Cox said...

Nicole thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much💛love

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Loving the two faced skull.

kwarkito said...

Once again, an incredible art work

Divers and Sundry said...

I love seeing how you've played with this and look forward to seeing more. Fun!

NatureFootstep said...

wow! Nicole, you seemed to been having a lot of fun with this.

I love the last abstract face patterns. You will have a lot of fun with this one :) Both beautiful and creepy.
I look forward to see it. :)

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde de domingo e bom início de semana minha querida amiga Nicole.

Rain said...

Looks like it's going to be a fun project. I love the skull!

Lowcarb team member said...

I am sure you will enjoy this winter project, and I look forward to seeing more photographs as you progress.

At the moment I am enjoying Autumn and it's glorious colours.
Winter, I'm not so keen on ...

All the best Jan