Monday, October 16, 2023

Here I go again

 Hi Everyone!
Today I'm joining Bleubeard and Elizabeth for the T-Party. Be sure to visit there.
 I'm so angry at my body that all I can do now is laugh. Lupus has attacted every part of me this year. Now, I have a leak in one of my heart valve. 
Can you believe this crap?
I have already had an echocardiogram and now I have to have a CTA. Then my PC calls to tell me I have giant platelets in my blood and have to see a hematologist. I try not to swear on my blog but M.F. I will be honest and tell you that the other day I completely lost it. Poor Mr. M. he go the brunt of it. He also knows to just leave me alone. I don't want a hug, I don't want positive words, I just want to be pissed off for a day.
Then I come out of it and get busy. Busy to stop thinking of the BS, the pain, and oh yeah the BS. LOL 
So into the kitchen to make some Mexican food. Today will show you how to make easy refried beans that are as good as any you have eaten. 
 Pinto beans make the best refries but use any beans you like. With 1lb of beans remove any rocks and broken beans. Then rinse well with cold water. I'm using this bag of beans to can. The reason for the clothes pin. If you want to soak the beans over night you can, but it is not necessary.


 Pour the beans into your instant pot, add 1T of salt and 8 C of water. Adjust your IP to high and cook for about 25 minutes. DO NOT QUICK RELEASE. Just let it sit for 30 minutes. If you don't have an IP you can make your beans on the stove. They will need to cook longer.


 

 Beans will be perfectly cooked.


 Drain the beans, saving the broth.


 

 Chop up 1/4 of an onion and 1/2 a jalapeno. Of course the jalapeno is optional. 


 Be sure to wear kitchen gloves when working with hot peppers. Oh and remove the seeds unless you like it really hot.


 

 Now here is the secrete to making good beans. Saute the veggies in 2T of rendered bacon fat. While cooking add 1 garlic glove. (you can use lard or oil too)
 

 

 Add the beans to the pan with 1C of the bean broth. Adjust the bean thickness with the amount of broth added. Allow this to come to a simmer. At this time check for salt add more if needed.


 

 Now the fun part. You can mash by hand or use your handy hand mixer. I love mine and use it all the time.


I like some beans to stay whole but you can make them as smooth as you like. Simmer until you have the consistency you like. Add cheese and serve. 


 We had our refried beans with homemade enchiladas.


 

 
It's all about water for me these days. No caffeine until the tests are done.
FSSAI Permits Hotels to Serve Drinking Water in Paper Sealed Glass 
 
Pin on Memes
 
That's it for now. 
Nicole
 
 

25 comments:

Kate Yetter said...

I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling with your health. It certainly does affect our mood when we aren't feeling well. I hope that you can find some relief and Dr.'s that can help. Your Mexican food looks delicious, and the dehydration meme made me laugh. Laughter is good medicine.
Happy tea day,
Kate

Christine said...

Oh Nicole, praying for you. Stay strong. The beans look good. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Iris Flavia said...

Being sick sucks, I´d be angry, too.
Hope drs can help, and soon!
The beans look very yummy! Ohhhh and enchiladas! Sadly Ingo does not like this at all and for but one person that´s a lot of work. Or can you freeze the beans?
LOL to the dehydrated lady... To water and have a nice T-Day!

Amila said...

I'm sorry to hear your body is causing so much trouble. It must be tough dealing with everything. Sending you lots of strength and positive thoughts.

This refried beans dish sounds easy to make and looks delicious too.
Happy T- Tuesday!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Life is a struggle for you right now, so you are certainly entitled to a day of hissing and spitting. Hope the doctors are able to help.

Leigh said...

Well, that's annoying, and I'm sorry to hear it. I think you have enough to struggle with as it is and don't need anything more!

I have to mention that I love the way you do recipes and tutorials. Great photos and so easy to follow. Really helpful.

Tom said...

...yep, dehydration can get ugly.

Gene Black said...

I know how frustrating health issues can be.

Staying busy is a good coping mechanism for me also (otherwise I can sink into depression) Those beans look good. A Mexican friend told me to add lard - but bacon grease sounds even better.

MELODY JACOB said...

Hi dear, stay strong
www.melodyjacob.com

My name is Erika. said...

Oh Nicole, that is really sad to read. I'd be pissed off too. I am the same way, I get mad and just let me be cranky and mad for awhile, and then I get busy and move on. Good luck. Sending good energy your way. And yes, those refried beans look delicious and so do your enchiladas. Take care. hugs-Erika

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, at least you turn your understandable anger into something positive -- those enchiladas and refried beans look delicious!

Mae Travels said...

Bacon fat really looks like the secret ingredient in this recipe! I am sure I would like it. Though the quantity looks huge.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

nwilliams6 said...

Nicole, I am sorry for your heart and blood issues. You deserve to be angry. I actually benefited from your post greatly - especially your description of your anger and how you feel. I got news this week I have an enlarged heart and possibly a valve issue. I had the CTA scan because it was a sale the hospital was running (public service) and now I get to start the round of doctors and more tests...

Your mexican food looks really, really yummy and I am going to try the refried beans recipe for sure. Yum.

Happy Tday and cyber hugz if you want them - lol.

Rita said...

OMG! You're kidding me! I got angry just reading it. You have had enough to deal with! Hang in there...and make your delicious foods. *love and hugs*

Valerie-Jael said...

Poor you, WTF, I just hope that the docs have some solutions for you. Your beans look great, too! Ad I had to laugh at the dehydration funny, I never drink enough and my doc always tells off. But I drink as muc h as I can! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

Empire of the Cat said...

Well that sucks doesn't it, I think swearing at the top of your voice in these situations is definitely cathartic so go for it! The enchiladas look delicious! Thanks for your visit and your comment about my Halloween cards today. Happy T Day! Elle xx

Carola Bartz said...

I'm sorry that you Lupus is acting up again and causing so much pain. No wonder you are angry - I would be as well. I hope your doctors will be able to help you. I'm sending you positive vibes.

Divers and Sundry said...

Lupus sucks :( and I'm sorry you're suffering so much with so many issues. I'm glad your husband knows how best to support you through it.

The refried beans do look good! I admit I've never made them. Happy T Tuesday!

carol l mckenna said...

Do hope you have compassion for your self and will rest ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am so sorry to read about your lupus and your other pain. I can certainly understand and empathize. I just hope things improve for you soon.

Your beans look lovely. I don't have one of those pots, but I make mine basically the same way. Yours look wonderful and they go so well with your enchiladas. Loved that you drink water, too. I can see why you don't want to get dehydrated (grin). Thanks for sharing your pain (we all want to know, HONEST), your refried beans and your water with us for T this Tuesday, dear Nicole.

CJ Kennedy said...

You certainly are entitled to have more than one bad day where you get to say
🤬 Take as many as you need/want. Happy T Day

mvmaithai said...

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Thanks for sharing your refried beans recipe in the instant pot.

kwarkito said...

amazing, as usual

Debra said...

This sure does stink. I hate it that you're going through all this crap. It's too much. I'm still praying for you, and I won't stop.

Lowcarb team member said...

So sorry to read that you are dealing with more medical issues.
Sending positive thoughts to you and lots of good wishes.

All the best Jan