Thursday, September 14, 2023

Friday Face OFF Tutorial 9/15/23

 Welcome to Friday Face OFF, (FFO) 
This week I start with a drawing that is not creepy. This was a warm up piece, but I like her smile.
 
Now for these;
First a note on safety. I figure people know to be safe with tools but using a heat gun needs a bit of a warning. Use as directed for your heat gun. NEVER touch anything but the handle and adjustment switch. 
All photos can be clicked on for closer look.

 I was able to get these skeleton spiders and Bi-Mart but can be purchased on line as well.


 Step one wrap the entire spider, except the head with plastic. Not plastic wrap it is too thin. I use plastic bags. A small drop of hot glue keeps the plastic in place.


 I use my heat gun outside because my smoke alarms are very sensitive. LOL


 Adjust the space between the heat and the wrap. You don't want to burn it, or get too close or the warp comes off the spider frame.


 You want it to look like crinkled skin with a few holes to the bone. There are other tricks to make muscle too but I will show that later.


 Next I applied acrylic paint to this one. I wiped off all of the excess.


This one I used wood stain on it.
 

 I have some fuzzy, hairy looking yarn that I cut the ends off and attached them to the darker spider. It made a great effect.


 This lighter one got a hairy coat from rabbit fur I have. Both were painted with red nails and black beaks. I made the eyes with clay.


 OMG how did these guys sneek in here. Zombie Rats on my counter.


 

The main question I'm asked is do I copy or create. Yes, and No. About a decade ago I took a course on making creatures. Over the years I have used and updated the techniques I learned from that. I also got involed with the product Elimorph and things did morph into what I create today. Like any type of art, once a technique is learned, other techniques grow from that. I have made new types of skin, body parts and other ideas from what I learned years ago. I find interesting items and my first thought is what creepy thing can I make from it. LOL I truly love my art right now. I would wish that for every artist.

This weeks feature is;
By Eaghl  I do love the way she draws.
I also want to pay tribute to 
Deb at She Who Seeks. She has been taking a human portraits course and has simply excelled in the class. 
This is her last portrait, for the course and you have to read what she wrote about it. 

I'm also linking up with Gillena

You know the rules but just in case you are new to FFO.
 This is where you can show any kind of face in any medium. Let your imagination go wild. Then link your blog to this one, link up with MR. Linky and start leaving comments. You will not be disappointed.
Now it's time to show me your face.
 
Nicole

25 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey, thanks for the shout-out, Nicole! You always draw the most evocative faces! And I too like how By Eaghl captures the essence and likeness of her portraits in just a few lines!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'll be back. I'm still on hold with my credit card company.

Rita said...

She has a great smile.
I much prefer your lady to the spiders and rats--LOL! ;)

Iris Flavia said...

A cute smile ideed.
For my post today I checked the Discovery-channel song about why you love your job so much and one sings "I love Arachne"... well, me not so much, but I got a cat like this this week.
Thank you for mentioning you really learned how to wrap up and alter your skeletons. I will not try that with her as first project!
My heating gun does not smoke btw.
Yes, I also loved Deb´s work(s)!
Have a great Friday!

Christine said...

Lovely work from Debra and Eagl! I like your painting and the creepy spiders!

Christine said...

Nice work from Debra and Eagl. I like your art and the spiders are creepy.

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful face, and lots of 'delightful ' spiders! My heat alarms are also very sensitive! Have a great Friday! Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry. After the marathon phone conversation, I was so frazzled I fell asleep. I am sure you can relate to frazzled.

I especially like the spider you made with the fancy fibers. That was my favorite. That is one sophisticated heat tool. I have a friend you bought one to remove the paint from the side of his house. It worked great on that, so I was surprised at how you used yours for those spiders. When you first said heat gun, I thought my heat gun I use to emboss powder. Certainly not the same.

Hope you are feeling better than you did at T time this week, dear. Have a super weekend.

sirkkis said...

Very creepy spiders, Nicole!
Expressive fun face ;)
Happy PPG xx

Cloudia said...

Keep creating Aloha!

NatureFootstep said...

Hi Nicole, nice work. I actually like spiders. At least when they are still small in size. The dark spider is really good looking! I would not mind having it somewhere in my appartment. Not alive of course. But yours. :) :)

Wishing you a fine weekend.

roentare said...

These look like rabid dogs in the making. Really wild.

Tom said...

...copy or create, the same question for Pasco, Andy Warhol and Jeff Koons. Thanks for hosting the party, Nicole.

Gene Black said...

I think the lady's smile is delightful.

I am more enthralled by your use of materials to create creepy effects. I never thought about this being like special effects until I followed the link that you posted.
I would love to audit a course on creating special effects.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm wit you about the smile on your drawing Nicole. She is really beautiful. And boy those spiders are creepy! And I even like spiders. I think it's the hair yarn that looks fantastic but does bring them in the really creepy range. Smile. I hope you have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

Granny Annie said...

I have completed the first 15 days of Ayala Art 29 Faces challenge. This year I am watching my favorite movies and pausing the show to sketch a favorite face. Thank you for featuring my character CHINO VALDEZ played by Charles Bronson.

Fundy Blue said...

Happy Friday, Nicole! Your spiders are amazing! I'm scared of spiders, and these really creeped me out! If I sketched your warmup piece, I would consider it a masterpiece. I'm best at stick figures ~ lol! I enjoyed the art of Eaghl and Debra. Thanks for featuring them. I have followed Debra from my earliest days as a blogger, and over the years I've watched her develop as an artist. The girl is stunning! Have a happy weekend! I need to return later and see how your yard sale went! I hope you can put your feet up this weekend!

Jeanie said...

Your creatures are very creepy -- and very cool! Love your drawing, too! I think there is a face or two in here so happy to join in this week!

carol l mckenna said...

You are so creative and creepy crawlers too ~ Debra's work is awesome too ~ such talent all on one post ~ thanks ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Divers and Sundry said...

I like that sweet smile. Your spiders and zombie rats look great! Perfect for the season (but other times as well).

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

I love your spiders, I can't say I say that very often about spiders.

Gillena Cox said...

Wow!!!very interesting pieces. Happy Friday Nicole.

Much🖤love

peppylady (Dora) said...

Hubby took out a big spider out of the kitchen sink the other day.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

Lowcarb team member said...

I like your drawing, it is a lovely smile.

All the best Jan

Debra said...

I really thought your spiders were real! I'm not fond of the spiders I see here sometimes-but your creations are very interesting. Your drawing is beautiful.