Monday, August 28, 2023

T Stands for food from the garden

 Hi Everyone!

Today is Tuesday and that means we all gather at Bleubeard and Elizabeth's for a grand party. Be sure to stop by there.

First here is my ticket to get into the T-Party. No more instant for me. LOL

 
Now for some food.

 A few weeks ago we went to the Bandon Farmer's Market. I got 4 amazing Poblano peppers for a few bucks. These I roasted and made Chili Relleno casserole. No I don't have a photo of it. It was so good.


 Also from the F.M. I got some luscious peaches so I made peach jam. We picked blackberries in our yard and so we have BB jam too.

 



 This is a meal that with the exception of mushrooms and egg noodles everything came from the garden. Yummm.


 The Mexican squash, all of a sudden has taken off. It's only been planted since Feb. Oh well, it's here now.


 I learned that if you start onions and garlic in a cold pan, you won't burn them. Onion from the garden.


 

 Garlic from my neighbors garden.



 A pan with my homemade Ghee. I don't waste a bit of it. I put the jar in the micro to melt the very last of it.


 

 Add chopped onions and garlic, cook until tender. Then set aside. 


 

 These potatoes are from my garden too.


 

 Peel, slice and then fry until golden.


 

 While the potatoes are frying cook up some ground meat. Season to taste. When it is cooked add the onions/garlic and fried potatoes. Mix together.


 

 Now, let me tell you where this meal comes from. When I was 21 and my kids were little, I was a cook on a ranch in NV. It was 50 miles from the nearest, anything. Me, my kids and 30 cowboys. I mean real cowboys. The ranch was 10,000 acres and there was cattle, buffalo, horses and we grew alfalfa. The cowboys tested me the first few days but when they saw I wasn't going to give in to them I gained great respect. It was a grand job and place to raise my kids. However, after a few years the owners closed it all down. I would still be there had it stayed open. This was one of the cowboys favorite meals. Mr. Ms too.

 Remember the onions I started from the roots of onions? Well here is one I picked yesterday. It is sweet as can be and huge.



 I want to save these roots for next year. I have an email into the onion guy on how to dry them out.


 

 

This lovely guy will be a tutorial this Friday for Friday Face OFF. It's made differently than some of my other corpses. I do have something pretty that day too. LOL.

Well, I guess that's it for now. See ya at the party.


Nicole
 

22 comments:

Tom said...

...you are getting a nice harvest from your garden.

roentare said...

The thick spring onion is my favorite! Australian spring onions are often very thin here.

Lowcarb team member said...

I always enjoy visiting farmers markets, you got some good buys.

All the best Jan

Gene Black said...

I only drink instant coffee if it is the only coffee I can get.haha
I love that Mexican squash

Rita said...

I would be happy as a cowboy with that meal. ;)

My name is Erika. said...

The new coffee maker is exciting Nicole. And boy all your meals look yummy. I think you've had a successful garden. And I wish I had enough blackberries to make some jam too. I bet that's delicious. Happy T day Nicole. Hugs-Erika

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

That is a great recipe! Adding the fried potatoes makes is a really good meal for winter. The leftovers, if any, will be nice to have.

Your ranch cook job sounds magical. It is a shame the ranch was closed down.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It’s a great time of year with all that fresh produce. We have been enjoying it every day and most of the time eat vegetarian.

Iris Flavia said...

You made me all hungry :-)
Looking forward to the making of of the lovely guy!
Have a great T-Day

Kate Yetter said...

Your food looks delicious! That is amazing that you get so much produce from your garden.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Divers and Sundry said...

Peach jam! I never have enough peaches for that as I buy them 2 at a time at the grocery lol That potato dish looks like something that'd go over well at my place :) Happy T Tuesday

dmZapp said...

Nicole, your meal looked great! Just regular stuff for you and I and about a gazillion other home cooks. Good stuff! Also, chili relleno casserole, one of our faves. I like making real rellenos (learned from the dad who cooked at the Mexican restaurant in Flo. But the casserole works too. I have been finding poblanos at our store, tried roasting some anaheims in my new air fryer, oops, burnt the heck out of them. Ugly lesson. Take care and think healthy thoughts, I sure miss you but not moving back, much healthier for me here.

Debra said...

I loved reading about your cowboy cooking job-that doesn't sound quite right, but you know what I mean! Your garden always amazes me. Awesome!

Mae Travels said...

Your stories about life on a working ranch must be very fascinating. I hope you will tell us more! The skillet meal looks delicious.
best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Valerie-Jael said...

Your food looks great, much better than mine. Okay, I'm lazy.Your new 'corpse' Looks beautifully rotten! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie
Can you pleasye send me your post address, I think you have my email!

Jeanie said...

Look at all those veggies! Yum! I never thought I would say I missed potatoes but since I've been doing low-carb it has been two months without. And yes I miss them!

Giorgio said...

It seems your garden provides a great meal. It's perfect in Summer time ☀️
Love blackberries jam.
Take care❗

CJ Kennedy said...

Love the French ratatouille meets Italian pasta. I made that, too, with things from Himself's garden. Happy T Day

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Congrats on your new coffee maker, Nicole. You will love it, I'm sure.

I LOVE making chili rellenos. Never made a casserole, but I have made a ton of chili rellenos before. Those look like healthy peppers.

Peach and blackberry jams. They look wonderful. I think you have made some great jams for winter.

I have never had Mexican squash, but yours looks great. Nice to know about onions and garlic. I burned some garlic recently, so I could have used that advice. I want the potatoes and onions and I will skip the meat, thank you.

I enjoyed reading about your time with cowboys. What a fun experience. Thanks for sharing your food, your story of the cowboys, and your new coffee maker and coffee with us for T this Tuesday, dear Nicole.

ashok said...

What a meal!

Amila said...

Interesting to see these food photos. I always prefer veggies. and the coffee maker brings a lot of excitement!
Happy T day!

kwarkito said...

I’m really impressed by your work. Amazing ! Estupendo ! Incroyable…