Thursday, July 6, 2023

FFO Tutorial On Creepy Faces

  Welcome to Friday Face OFF. This is where you can show any kind of face in any medium. Let your imagination go wild. Then link your blog to this one, link up with MR. Linky and start leaving comments. Everyone who joins in shares such wonderful art pieces.

I promised a tutorial and will answer a few questions. Here is what we are looking to create today. 

 


 



  First gather up those ceramic masks that you have packed away or even hanging on your wall. LOL If not head to the thrift store, they always have these masks.

 Wash the faces with soap and water and dry them off. I normally use latex paint but for these I used good old acrylics. The first layer of paint will not cover the face. Let that dry and add another coat. Repeat this until you have a nice thick coating and can't see any of the original paint. Don't worry about any paint lines. They add to the creepiness.

 


 



 Once the paint is dry it's time to add some skin or texture. :) the same technique I use for corpsing is what I use on the faces. You can see how here. 
Normally I work these faces in black or white. I thought it would be good to try a bone color. After painting it I changed my mind. It's the best part of art. We can always change what we are doing. Once you have the texture on and completely dry you can paint it. Remember NOT to have the paint too wet. You don't want to rehydrate the textures. Use acrylics.

This color just didn't work for me.
 

 Repainted it white.




Once you get the basic texture on it's time to add some details. It can be anything and just about any materials. In the corpsing link I show you that tearing the T.P. so the edges are ragged, I save all the scraps to make lumps and bumps on the face. Simply take a small wad of torn T.P. and dip it into the glue/water. Stick it onto the face, then with a brush add more glue/water all over the lump so it will dry hard.

Here is a skull that I added the lumps to.


The face below has empty eyes. I painted black around the sockets. For the texture I used a dry brush with a bit of black paint and lightly went over the texture. You want to do this very lightly so the ridges really show up.
This one has ceramic over they eyes but I also opted to paint them black. I textured the top of the head and side of face. I painted this black, let it dry, then a red brown, let it dry, then a light gray to bring out the ridges. I added the lumps and made them look like sores with pus and blood.
How to make the teeth. There are many ways to make fake teeth. My go to material is Ellimorph. This is a biodegradable, non toxic remouldable plastic. OK, that means you can make your own teeth and wear them without any reactions. LOL Check out the link. This is a plastic material placed in hot water and then form into what ever you like. I have posted about this in the past but here is a link to the company. They are in Sweden. Heat water to about 120°F, drop in the ellimorph beads. When they turn clear you can shape them. 

 


 


 This will be hot.


 Roll out and then pinch the ends off for pointy teeth.


 


 Use the middle of the roll for rounded teeth.


  While the teeth are still pliable place where you like on the mask. Hold it in place while it dries. Not even a minute. Now you have the perfect fit to glue into place. I use superglue gel. The gel takes time to dry so you have time for placement. 

 


 


 
Do NOT USE HOT GLUE.
Any of the Ellimorph can be put back into hot water to reshape or make soft for placement. I love this stuff and use it a lot for different art projects. 
Most of these masks already have holes on the sides to add rope, leather thong or whatever to hang them.  I hope you all enjoyed this and will give you some ideas in your own art.
 
Now for the featured artist.
This week is, 


I'm also linking with Gillena

OK, on more thing before you link up with me. Today I had to go to the dentist. After, Mr. M. and I stopped and JoAnne's Fabric. OMG!!!!!! 2 of the workers were setting out their Halloween merchandise. Ohhh with 40% off. Wanna see what I got?
Hee hee hee heee.....
Gotta wait until next week. But everything is darn. Cool. 

Nicole 

22 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The transformation is stunning!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are a tease at the Halloween fabric. Even the word fabric and my interest is piqued. I look forward to seeing what you purchased.

That was a great tutorial, Nicole. I like how you molded and applied the teeth. I admit these are rather scary, spooky masks, but I really enjoyed seeing you take them from cherub like to spooky in no time at all. Have an awesome Friday, dear.

Iris Flavia said...

They look way cooler than before! Miss Vampire is my fav and the teeth-making is amazing, esp that you can reheat.
I have never seen such faces in any shops here, though.
To a creepy-fun, creative day!

roentare said...

The teeth are incredibly scary! But fascinating too

Carola Bartz said...

While I most probably won't ever create a mask, I truly admire yours. They are way cool and I like your description of the process. Halloween merchandise - already? Oh my!

Valerie-Jael said...

You have been busy! Those teeth give the faces a wonderfully, scary look. And I can imagine you at a Halloween sale with 40% off....Have a great Friday, Nicole! Hugs,Valerie

Tom said...

...thanks Nicole for featuring my creepy face. I hope that you are doing well.

sirkkis said...

Creepy face, indeed!
Thanks for the tutorial.
Enjoy the weekend ahead xx

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Tempting though it is to make gruesome skulls and vampirish faces with blood oozing down, I think I will eschew the pleasure!

Christine said...

Thanks for showing your process! Tom is a fantastic photographer. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

The ellimorph beads sound interesting. I don't know that material. i like how you've made all those teeth though, and how they add to those faces. I hope you've had a nice weekend. hugs-Erika

Gene Black said...

Nice technique! The moldable plastic beads are a new thing for me to learn about. Ha ha. I don't think I should look at those very much, they are too tempting.

LA Paylor said...

halloween! really pushing the season

J C said...

Love them all. Maybe Ill get brave enough to try it. Especially find of the one you posted from Backwoods Traveler. Would not like to meet her in a dark alley. Thanks for sharing your procedure.

Gillena Cox said...

Happy Friday Nicole. Thanks for linking up to Art For Fun Friday

Much💜love

Cloudia said...

Scary faces! Are they supreme court justices?

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful tutorial ~ you are so creative ~ thanks,

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I've not seen any ceramic masks in our cheap stores but I'll keep looking.

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for the tutorial.

Goodness, you are mentioning Halloween and a friend of mine was talking about Christmas!

Have a good weekend.

All the best Jan

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your masks are so unique. Where do you get your ideas? Are they strictly your imagination or does something have to inspire you. I wish I had known these techniques years back when my Granddaughter and I used to create all kinds of crazy stuff. She has outgrown it but maybe my current Granddaughter that is still here would enjoy experimenting with masks. I especially love the Ellimorph. I think there are probably a lot of things you could do with it including the teeth. Now you have my mind racing. I will have to corner my Granddaughter (she's a teenager now and not so prone to doing stuff with her Grandma)and see if we can put together a project ... maybe a mask for Halloween which will be here before we know it. So much fun, Nicole!
Hope you are through with the Dentist ... ugh. But glad you found some fun Halloween stuff on sale ... makes it all worth while, right? See you next week :0

Andrea @ From the Sol

ashok said...

Quite scary! Wow

baili said...

wow !

you are amazing at your skill my dear Nichole !
i am so impressed