Friday, November 11, 2022

Friday Face OFF 11/11/22

 Happy Friday Face OFF!

I'm excited for this post. My shrunken heads have taken a turn and a life if it's own.
I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this type of art. So here is my face for today. I will be showing you how to make the skin,(that's called corpsing). It is easy and so much fun.
Now for the face.
OK, I know some of my blogging friends will be creeped out with this. However, if you look at the artistic value of different parts of the face and skin, you will appreciate it more. 
 
You will need white glue with water mixed in about 60/40. A brush for dabbing, and toilet paper. Of course a surface to apply the skin.

 You will need cheap toilet paper
 

Tear off any straight edges and then tear into pieces and set aside.



Clean and paint the surface you will be using. Mine is a plaster skull I molded many years ago and painted it black
 

 Apply some glue. Work in small sections at a time.


Lay the T.P. onto the glue and tamp in with the brush.

 Allow the brush to make wrinkles. Don't smooth it out.


Cover the entire surface then cover it again while the first layer is wet. You want it a bit thick. Allow to dry.

 Once the skin is completely dry cut a slit in the eyes. Just a straight line across to make eye lids. I use a dental tool to gentely pull the eye lids in place. The same with the mouth to allow the teeth to show. Use acrylic paints and dry brush lightly so the lines show up. Then use a dabbing motion to fill in spaces.

  This is such an easy technique. I hope you give it a try. I was hoping to have a short video for you but somehow it did not save. I will try to make one for next week. I can't WAIT to show you what I made.
 
Now for our featured artist.
 
 
I am also linking up with Gillena
A few rules. Create any type of face in any medium. You must link back to me from your blog, add your link to Mr. Linky, leave a comment and then have fun seeing what other artist have shared. 
Can't get easier than that.
 
Now it's your turn. Show me your face

Nicole 

29 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'll be by later wth a proper comment. Right now I must get some much needed sleep.

roentare said...

These skulls look like peeling its own skins! Great arts as usual

Valerie-Jael said...

Glad you are having fun with your skulls! Valerie

sirkkis said...

Well done, Nicole, I'm shivering.... a truly horrifying skull!
Have a wonderful weekend xx

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, the head looks amazingly real, well done!!!
LOL... OK, the crisis is over, we can use toilet paper for art (sorry, this needed to get out! I´ll never forget how you saw people buying and carrying TP here in panic.... "shitty times ahead!)...

This is really easy (or looks like) - now I don´t have a skull... I made boots of clay once, it was fun work, too.
Looking forward to next Friday!

Giorgio said...

What a particular skull! I've heard of white glue with water and toilet paper. I used it when I made a representation of the nativity scene.

I love your beautiful art work, Nicole!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Well done.
I appreciate the art value even though it does creep me out.

Tom said...

...a life if it's own you say? Thanks for hosting Nicole, have a wonderful weekend.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

If I were married to you, Nicole, I think I would be wary of sleeping next to you! As for my Friday face, please take a moment to look at Karen on my blog. Best wishes - David

Gene Black said...

It is interesting to me and not at all creepy. This technique is similar to something I do for making faux stained glass. I just use a different type of paper and a gel medium and do it over plexiglass (although real glass works also.)
Now I need to find a skull to play with.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You're right. It creeps me out! But glad you're enjoying it!

Christine said...

Beyond scary Nicole!

ashok said...

Scary skull !

Debra said...

Yep it's creepy to me but you're right-how to do this is very interesting and I can see lots of different applications for it. Thank you! I think you are a fine artist.

Mae Travels said...

Your art work is always fascinating and very unusual.
Nice work!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gillena Cox said...

Im not a fun of skulls. But your artistic methods are very talented. Happy weekend Stay Safe. Thanks for linkibg to Art for Fun Friday.

Much💛love

Cloudia said...

Yes, an artist needs to know the structure beneath the appearance as well as the surface!

NatureFootstep said...

cool, this is a way to create structure on paintings as well. Newer thought of using it on a skull. :)

Rita said...

Yes, they do creep me out but I can appreciate the artistry. :)

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Glad you are having fun with it. Fascinating process, Nicole!

-Soma

kwarkito said...

A nice work and a great thanks for all these explanations

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh my Goodness, you can't get more ghoulish than that ... your work is fabulous and thank you for showing us your technique. I don't think I will be using it, but my Granddaughter will love it :) Stay well and safe, Nicole ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Lowcarb team member said...

It's great that you are having fun with your skulls.

Enjoy your weekend.

All the best Jan

Rain said...

I love your heads Sis, thanks for posting how you do them! They look wonderful! ♥

carol l mckenna said...

Great skull creation and tutorial ~ so creative! Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative harbor)

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Ooh, that looks fun and easy to do. I like the texture you get. Definitely going to give it a try, maybe not in a skull. Thanks for the tutorial!

My name is Erika. said...

It is a bit creepy but it looks so much better than the black skull. Any plans to do anything with the skull now that you've corpsed it? Happy new week. Hugs-Erika

Mia said...

The skull is creepy, Nicole, but I really like it. I know the technique with the toilet paper. I use it to make bowls. The steps: I take a bowl, I wrap it with plastic, and then I add the toilet paper exactly like you. When it dries, you have a new bowl. Kisses and thank you so much for featuring my junk journal.

Fundy Blue said...

Yes, your macabre art creeps me out, Nicole, but your techniques are fascinating. I keep thinking my third graders would have loved doing a project like this. I think I've said this before, but you would have been great at adding faces to skulls in a lab.