Friday, October 14, 2022

Friday Face OFF 10/14/22

 Hi Everyone!

Well I am excited to show you my face today for Friday Face OFF. As most of you know you Skulls can be found in almost every room in my house. This is NOT a new thing for me. I have been collecting skulls, and harvesting bones most of my life. So drawing skulls is just part of the collection.

My face for today.

Tonight, I was framing this. Got it matted and ready to lock it in when the darn glass broke. I have never had that happen before. So I will go out tomorrow for a new frame.

Here are some skulls I have in my house. I know I have shown some in the past but here are a few more.

These are ceramic bisque I will sand them down and create something with them for sale.
 

 These are glassy ceramic also getting ready to be art pieces for sale


 These are resin and part of my collection. 



 This is actually my favorite. Made of balsa wood. I got this on one of my trips to Mexico with my sister and mom. It's about 2.5 feet tall and the arms and legs bend and move.


 One of my trips to Japan, I found this amazing little shop that had the most interesting gifts. The only place I found this.


Turn it over and the colors are inverted.


 

 

She is 3'x1'. The Japanese have a lot of folklore about, (everything) skeletons. 
Here is one of them

The Hone-Onna is a humanoid Yokai found in Japanese folklore. The Hone-Onna is described as the living corpse of a woman who is entirely skeletal. To most people the Hone-Onna appears as a normal woman but to people with strong religious beliefs and people who are not in love can see through her illusion. It is said the Hone-Onna is a woman who died while deeply in love so she comes back to life and goes to her former lover’s house every night and slowly drains his life force until he becomes weak and dies and joins her in the afterlife. Even if the lover finds out the Hone-Onna still comes to the house every night because most of the time she does not realize that she is dead so her former lover will leave charms out to ward her off. It is said though that the more the Hone-Onna decays the more beautiful she will become. Hone-Onna means 

“Bone Woman”. 
Yokai is a type of ghost.
 
It's time to see who our featured artist is.
Fundy Blue  from, Standing into Danger.
How fun is this?

Before I end this post I want to leave you with something that will make you smile or maybe even giggle out loud.
Jullette my great granddaught.


 
I am linking up with 

Remember to link back to this blog and to Mr. Linksy below, then leave a comment.
You know post any kind of face.
 
Nicole 
 

26 comments:

sirkkis said...

Thanks for a smile, Nicole! A sweet baby, indeed.
You skull art is amazing, and thank you for telling the interesting, quite a creepy tale.
I'm wishing you a very joyful weekend xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful art as always but your little Juliette is the star of the show! Hugs, Valerie

NatureFootstep said...

how sweet Jullette looks, And I see she has the same kind of hair as my daughter had when she was a child. Today she is always straighten it. Easier to handle then the curls. :)

Hope everything is well with you. :)

Gillena Cox said...

Fabulous faces and the story of the bone woman. Your granddaughter is a sweet girl.
Thanks for linling to Art For Fun Friday today.

Much❤love

roentare said...

So you are a collector of anything skulls. How cool! I love that fashion with stick legs. Quite funky too.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Legends about vampire- like creatures draining the blood from living people seems to be a cross- cultural phenomenon.

Iris Flavia said...

Very great sketch!
I had one skull in my room when still living with my parents. They hated it. If they could see boney-Henry in our bedroom (and the other two) they would freak out, LOL

Cute parting pic, this is such a wonderful age (being an Auntie, that is ;-)...)

Rain said...

Hi Sis! ♥ Oh your great grandaughter is cute! What a smile! ☺☺ I LOVE your skull art, especially the trio of skulls. Interesting lore about Yukai! I love hearing stories like that, every culture has their own! ☺

Giorgio said...

Great collection of skull artwors! As I mentioned in my post one year ago, skulls intersect with Naples' tradition od religion, folk tales and pagan rituals.
Thank you for showing them, Nicole!

My name is Erika. said...

This is a fabulous skull drawing Nicole. And I am also totally fascinated with that Japanese story. The Hone-Anna sounds so beautiful as a name, but she is rather evil, isn't she? You have a great skull collection for certain. Happy weekend. hugs-Erika

Tom said...

...Juliette is a dear!

Gene Black said...

I love your skulls, especially the one from Mexico. I am always fascinated by the sugar skulls for Dia de los Muertos. (Day of the Dead)

Christine said...

Wonderful if creepy skull art! Jullette is growing so fast seems she was just born the other day. -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Debra She Who Seeks said...

WOW, that is a fab skull you drew! FAB! And thanks for the images and info about Japanese Bone Woman. And yes, Fundy Blue always takes such interesting photos!

Gillena Cox said...

Nicole, happy you linked to Art For Fun Friday.

Much❤love

Debra said...

Your skull drawing is very well done. Juliette is so cute!

LA Paylor said...

giggling with jullette!! skulls are fascinating. I like your support pics too!

Fundy Blue said...

Hi, Nicole! I was surprised and delighted that you shared my blog post! Thank you! Of course, this morning would be the morning I slept in after staying up late last night to finish this week's post ~ lol! Jullette is precious! How could that happy face not make someone smile or laugh( as I did)! You are truly blessed to have her! I have never seen a Japanese skull before, so your reversible image is fascinating. Your drawing of the skull is excellent. You could have worked in a fossil lab skating fossils and doing scientific illustrations. Your skull art is so good ~ Hopefully, you'll sell lots with Halloween and All Saints Day coming. Enjoy this fun time of year!

Cloudia said...

There are many Obake (Japanese Ghost s) in Hawaii. In addition to the Hawaiian spirits, demigods and forces that still live on the islands. If you Google Hawaii ghost stories be prepared. Much skin crawling! Glen Grant shared many of them.

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome skeleton creation ~ perfect for the season ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Barbara said...

Nicole, you would have made an incredible medical illustrationist! Beautiful work. Juliette is beyond cute!

Michelle said...

I love your skull drawing. It is beautiful and amazing! Interesting skull fairytale too.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I know I'll never catch up, after the trial took up so much of October. but I stopped by to say how much I love that skeleton. All are so wonderful but this latest one was simply stunning.

Noa said...

Me encanta el folclore y a mi pareja las calaveras... Gracias por traer arte. Te empiezo a seguir,

Noa

Divers and Sundry said...

I enjoy Asian horror and enjoyed your explanation of this. I love hearing about the folklore of other countries.

baili said...

i enjoyed looking at skulls ,in 3rd photo the black one is my favorite .
Japanese story sounds fantastic .my grandma used to tell folklores when i was little girl and i think those are among best memories .
your granddaughter stole the show no doubt :)))