Thursday, June 9, 2022

TAD With Rain

 Hi Everyone!
Today is TAD with Rain and her theme is yellow. Not sure I have any yellow around and was not able to create anything with that color. This week I did to play in the garden and got the heavy work done. Because yesterday I got the steroid injection in my low back. I refused the light anesthetic. It's a melt under the tongue pill and since I hate feeling loopy, drunk, or off balance, I opted out. Besides the doctor shot me up with tons of lidocane type medicine and after the stick and burn of that I didn't feel a thing. This AM I am feeling no pain and very well. 
Oh here is some yellow. The first squash blossom of the year. 
Garden hack I know that works.
Killing weeds, weather in the garden or just around the yard is a pain. I swear by this inexpensive hack. Generously pour onto weeds. Give it a day and the weeds turn brown and die. Then easily remove them or just let them feed the ground.
Last week I harvested some mint and lemon balm from the garden. I wanted to try a cookie with them. I found a recipe and of course change it. LOL I also took photos and for the life of me can't find them. They did however, look like very much these. Google photo
To start finely chop mint and lemon balm. You will need 2T. Then zest about 1T of lemon and squeeze a 1T of lemon juice onto this and with the back of a spoon press and mix it together.
Let is sit while making the dough. This is not part of the original recipe.

 


 


NOTE; I thought this recipe would have more of a punch of lemon, they didn't, so if I make these again I will add 1/2t of lemon extract when adding the egg. 
You will need.
1C butter, softened, 2/3C sugar, 1 egg, 2 1/3 C APF, (all purpose flour) 1t salt, 1/2t cream of tartar, 1t backing soda. Cream of tartar I added and change the amount of salt and BS.
In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg and lemon mixture. Gradually beat in dry ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm. The recipe reads to roll in wax paper and cut 1/8" thick slices. However, this did not work for me so I just scooped out dough placed on cookie sheet and pressed the dough with the bottom of a glass. Bake these at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes. The edges will brown a bit. This is a slightly crunchy cookie on to and bottom but delightfully soft with a short bread texture.
 
With the last 2 days of overcast and a few showers my garden is finally growing. Like I mentioned in previous posts, I was harvesting food this time last year. Every year with the weather change it is a new learning curve in the garden. These photos were taken at 6AM today.

 These onions are doing better in the ground than the ones in the big garden.


 


 Ahhh another squash blossom.


 


This pea plant is doing OK the one that was next to it died out.
 

 


 


 I am very happy with the potatoes this year.

 


 


Look at this beautiful lettuce.
That's it for now. 
A reminder to join me tomorrow for 
Friday Face Off. Create a blog post, feature a face and then link up with me. Any kind of face in any medium.
Have a great Thursday.

Nicole 

19 comments:

Christine said...

The cookies look good, pretty squash flower too.

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Nicole, your garden is growing well, and you have food ready to harvest as well. your cookies sound delicious Happy Thursday

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That squash blossom is a gorgeous yellow!

Tom said...

...I use high potency vinegar!

Gillena Cox said...

Your yellow offering is lovely. I do not remember where but i did see somewhere that squash blossons are edible and there was a recipe for stuffed squash blossoms.

Happy Thursday

Much💛love

sirkkis said...

You are such a great cook and gardener Nicole 🌾🥞
I hope your back treatment goes well 💚🧚

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely yellow florals ~ cookies look and sound yummy ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Iris Flavia said...

Your garden is giving wonderful stuff!
If I liked sweet things I´d give those cookies a try, too.

H.R. Bennett said...

Those actually sound like a really nice spring cookie.

sirkkis said...

Hi again Nicole!
Sorry, about the anonym comment for you. I have Google's announcement for anonym problem, and it's worked in Chrome, which is my browser. I don't know what is yours, but because Chrome demands that all cookies must be accepted, I suppose that your browser must be, too in Chrome pages. I got help from Google, when the problem was in many blogs. I include the link of the Google's instructions. There is also mentioned other browsers:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/61416?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&oco=0
By-by !

Giorgio said...

What a beautiful cookies! I also like yellow colour!
Congrats on your garden. Your lettuce is nice :-)

Barbara said...

Your garden is making up for lost time, it looks great!

My name is Erika. said...

Your garden is looking great Nicole. Your new raised bed holds a lot. I like it. Hope its been a good week so far. hugs-Erika

ashok said...

Love your garden pics always

Fundy Blue said...

Thanks for the recipes, cookies and hack, Nicole. Squash blossoms were important to Native American culture, and they are delicious to eat ~ but, I'll bet that you know that! What glorious yellow squash blossoms you have. Have a great weekend.

Jeanie said...

I love the yellow and the progress in the garden. And the cookie sounds really great!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Love the fuzzy yellow squash blossom ... the perfect Yellow :) As for your cookies, they sound great, but I am no longer a sweet eater, so sadly, I will probably never know. My weeds grow right up next to plants I want to keep, how do I avoid killing both? And does your weed killer stay in the soil so I can't plant other things there at a later date? I have always just pulled the weeds, but that is a lot of back breaking work, as you know. Speaking of backs ... glad you had a treatment that worked. Hope it is all better now.

Andrea @ From the Sol

Lowcarb team member said...

Your garden is growing well.
Cookies sound very good :)

All the best Jan

Rain said...

I love your lettuce box Sis! I'm planning on making one next week for the channel. Your potatoes look fabulous! Thanks so much for the weed killing recipe! I'm going to try that around my burn barrel, there are TOO many weeds and I haven't had a chance to do anything about it. I can't burn anything if there is plant life 6 feet around it.