Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Food Wednesday

 Greetings!

Well, I'm getting a late start today for this post and Food Wednesday with Cathy. 
One day of glorious sunshine, yesterday, and now back to rain and wind. I had to get up early to cover the garden.
Anyway, as promised the snicker doodle recipe coming up. First though how about Mexican lasagna?
It is so good, easy to make and just as easy to make meatless. I make mine in an instant pot but it can be over baked as well.
You will need ground meat or tofu, (I had left over chili and added it) grated and seasoned cheese, onions, kernel corn, olives, chilies and tortillas.

 Grate and season cheese with Mexican spices. The set aside. 

 


 Chop and saute onions. Remove from pan and set aside.

 


 Brown any kind of ground or shredded mean. Or crumble stiff tofu and brown. Set aside.


 Take a dinner plate and lay out a piece of foil at least double the size. You will be folding this over the lasagna. Get all ingredients ready to assemble.


 I used corn tortillas. Dip the tortilla in hot oil for a few seconds on each side. Set on paper towels and pat off excess oil. Then set on foil and add a layer of cheese.



 Add a layer of meat.

 


 Add onions, olives, and chilies.

 


 Add Corn



 Add Chili



 Top with a bit more cheese. Can never have too much cheese. LOL


 Add a tortilla and layer again. If you layer from the outside in your ingredients will be flat and even.


 Once you have all the layers you want, I make 3, then wrap the foil up around and secure the top and sides. Place in an instant pot with 2 cups of water.


Place on the lid and on manual set 25 minutes. Or place in oven at 375°F for 30 minutes


 Once done carefully open the foil.


 Add some sour cream and serve. It is so darn good.


 For dessert, snicker doodles.


 

Snicker Doodles 
You will need
 3C APF all purpose flour, 2t cream of tartar, 1t backing soda, 1 1/2 t ground cinnamon, 1/2t salt, 1 C butter, 1 1/3C granulated sugar, 1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, 2t vanilla extract. Extra sugar and cinnamon in a bowl to top the cookies.
 Preheat oven to 375°F 190°C and line cookie sheets with parchment. In a bowl make
 Mix together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl and set aside. In a larger bowl cream butter and sugar, then add egg and egg yolk and vanilla. Add flour mixture 1/3 at a time. Using a tablespoon scoop dough then dip top into the cinnamon sugar. Place on cookie sheet. Once this is done wet finger tips and gently flatten the dough. Not too much. Bake and enjoy.

Bonus. The best way to mix seasoning into cheese is to bounce the bowl. 

I hope you enjoyed the post and will try these recipes.

Nicole

16 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

In the snicker doodle recipe, does "t" mean teaspoon or tablespoon?

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning Nicole, Yes I really enjoyed your post today. My husband would love your Mexican lasagna for sure. I would bake it for us. and thank you for the snickerdoodle recipe-both are keeper recipes-thank you
and thank you for sharing with us on Food Wednesdays
we had a beautiful day for gardening yesterday too and big storms for several hours last night-the plants all look ok though

Divers and Sundry said...

I like regular lasagna but have never had Mexican. It looks good. The cookies look good, too, and I like a cookie recipe where you don't have to roll out the dough.

Tom said...

...now I'm hungry, I need to eat lunch.

Christine said...

Looks amazing Nicole, I will save your snickerdoodle recipe thanks.

Rain said...

Bounce that bowl Sis!!! ☺☺ "How about Mexican Lasagna?" Me: YES PLEASE. That looks scrumptious!!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I just researched by Oregon gets so much rain. I was surprised to learn that Oregon is still having severe draught as we are in California. Scientists think that this is climate CHANGE and the current weather is permanent and will only get worse. Elon Musk would do better to try to figure out how to divert rain to draught areas instead of talking about how world population is declining and other topics that he is not so knowledgeable of.

Here's to a little warmer weather for you and more rain for me, lol.
xx, Carol

Serena Lewis said...

Thanks for the recipes and thanks for including the vegetarian options. I could easily veganise both recipes too with vegan cheese for the lasagne and egg replacer in the snickerdoodles. The lasagne looks amazing!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Nicole,

The Mexican Lasagne looks yummy. It makes me think of an item on Taco Bell's menu in the mid-80s called Pizazz. I always referred to it as Mexican Pizza but it was layered like this but the tortilla layers were crisp. It was really good, too. I have never made snicker doodles. I'm going to have to do that. Thanks for sharing your recipes. Have a foodietastic day!

pearshapedcrafting said...

I liked your post very much! Thanks for both recipes!Enjoy your week, hugs, Chrisx

carol l mckenna said...

Mexican lasagna sounds and looks delicious! You are so creative and ambitious ~ Xo

wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
(aks A Creative Harbor)

My name is Erika. said...

Don't you like your instantpot? I don't use mine all the time, but for certain foods it is really handy. Your Mexican Lasagna looks and sounds yummy. I like you used your instantpot to cook it. hugs-Erika

Iris Flavia said...

The lasagna sounds just more than great and now I have an idea what to do with tortillas!
Added to my cooking list, thank you!
And no, you can never have enough cheese! :-)

jinxxxygirl said...

My husband will be thrilled i have a snickerdoodle recipe now.. Thank you!! And the lasagna looks incredible. Happy Food Wednesday! Hugs! deb

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for sharing the recipes :)

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

I'm not sure why I always look at blogs during dinner (or before making it) but I could use a snickerdoodle right now! Thanks for the recipe!