Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Food Wednesday

 Greetings!

It's been a strange week for me, or maybe I'm just strange. Not sure which. ha ha ha
It has been so cold that I had to make a pot of 16 beans. It was 15 but I added some black beans I grew last year. I start with cut up onions sauteed in butter. Then I add a big ham hock, and some sweet Italian sausage. Next, I add enough home canned veggie broth, water and all of my seasonings. Bring to a boil and add the beans. Bring to another boil then simmer until the beans are done. I never add tomatoes or tomato sauce to these beans. The liquid will turn color and thicken to the right consistency. Make some corn bread and it's done. Oh, after you have to have graham cracker crust, pistachio pudding pie.

 


 


 I didn't have any whipped cream


 But that didn't stop us from eating half of it. I had a small piece Mr. M. ate the rest.

 


Preheat oven to 375°F
Take 1 1/2Cups of graham crackers and blend them until they are a fine crumble. Add 1/3C of sugar, 6T melted butter, and mix until the grahams hold together.  Pat firmly into a pie tin bottom and then up the side. Bake for 6 minutes.
Make instant pudding and place if fridg until set. Cool the pie crust completely. I set mine in the freezer. Pour in pudding and top anyway you like.
That's it for now. I will have more food tomorrow with TAD.
Be sure to stop by Cathy's to see what everyone is cooking up.
 
Nicole

17 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That's a lot of beans, especially considering the effect beans have on some people! ,

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks fantastic! Have a great day, Valerie

Tom said...

...I've been strange for years.

My name is Erika. said...

I love 14 or 15 or even 16 bean soup. It is the best for cold weather. Hope you get some warmth Nicole.

Christine said...

Delicious! Sorry about the weather

kathyinozarks said...

We love a big pot of beans too, and with cornbread-the best. allot of carbs for us but this is a healthy dish too.
Your pie looks delicious too.
Super hot and humid here so not I am stuck in the house again-lol
Thanks os much for sharing with us for Food Wednesdays Hugs Kathy

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I don't think I've ever had pistachio pudding!

Iris Flavia said...

Sounds good for a cold day. Haha, I thought, how big are those beans that 16 make a meal, LOL.
Great you have all the self-made ingredients.

Granny Annie said...

This post reminded me that I have a frozen Key Lime pie in my freezer that was going to be for my daughter for mother's day. Oops...

Giorgio said...

I love red and black beans' soup :-) ... I hope you'll enjoy a sunny Spring soon on the West coast!
Have a nice Wednesday, Nicole!

Divers and Sundry said...

15-bean soup is one of my favorites! And cornbread is the perfect thing to go with it.

craftytrog said...

Yummy! That stew and pie is making my mouth water Nicole!
P.S. We're all a little strange! Hahaha

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I soak my beans overnight. I soak my black beans soerately so I can remove the water for fabric dyeing. I also soak lentils seperately because the don't take as long to cook. Like you, I cook mine in some of the reserved juice. I never add tomatoes, either. I would love a piece of that pistachio pie, though. Happy Wednesday, dear.

Rain said...

Oh the beans look so comforting!!! But that pie!!! That wouldn't have lasted long here either lol! ☺☺

Lowcarb team member said...

Certainly looks very yummy :)

All the best Jan

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa noite Nicole. Deu muita vontade de provar essa delícia. Uma excelente quinta-feira.

Linda Kunsman said...

Sounds very hearty, and gosh I haven't made a pudding pie in years, and pistachio is my fave!