Monday, January 4, 2021

T Stands for Winter Sowing

Greetings!
Today is Tuesday and that means a day with the T-gang
Before I get to my drink for the day I wanted to share
with all of you how I am starting my winter sowing.
Some of you already know about WS and I have mentioned
it in previous posts. It is simply getting your gardens seeds
an early start. I tried a few things last year and it works!
In a clean milk, juice or other clear jug punch drainage holes
in the bottom and on all 4 sides an inch or so from the bottom.  Then cut around the jug leaving and inch of 
the jug attached.

 


 


 

Place a few rocks in the bottom of the jug.

 

I use a good potting soil. Wet is thoroughly then place in jug. You want about 3" of soil
 
Be sure to mark what the plant is on the inside. I cut an end of an onion from the store for this one. I did this last year and still have onions from the garden.

 

Once the seeds or roots are in place spray the dirt quite a bit.
 
Close the top and duct tape it closed. More tape is better.

 

You do not need the top and be sure to mark on the outside all over the contain of what is inside.

 
Then take it outside and wait.

 This can be done in the snow, rain or warm weather. If you are in warm weather you may have to water. Otherwise just leave it and be patient. Once the seeds have become seedlings they are ready to plant. There is no need for hardening the seedling. By the time I am done I will have about 40 jugs made up. If you want to see a video on this go here. This can be done with flowers as well. 

 


 Now for my entry to the T Party. The other day I baked a Pear Spice Streusel. 


 


OMG! Sooo Good with my cuppa

 
Have a great day
Be Safe Out There And Where A Mask
 
Nicole/DVArtist 
Honor and integrity in art, in life. 
beadwright.com

24 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope there's a cuppa and a slice of pear spice streusel for me!

Iris Flavia said...

My T would love this - he is from former GDR where they learned gardening from a very early age on, at kindy/school.
Streusel sounds like from here? Or Austria, Switzerland, who cares, a happy, yummy T-day to you!

Barbara said...

This looks so easy! I’d like to try it just because growing things is fun for me. But I have to be happy with house plants because we live in the woods with no sun. Best wishes for a hugely successful garden this year!

Granny Annie said...

I do not have any kind of green thumb but I do have lots of plastic water jugs. What to do, what to do?

by EAGHL said...

I do not have any kind of green thumb but I do have lots of plastic water jugs. What to do, what to do?

Linda Kunsman said...

It'll be nice to see your plantings grow and produce. Something I cannot do no matter how many times and ways I tried. Good thing for neighbors who garden;)
Your cake sounds perfect with a cuppa for this time of year. Happy New Year and happy T day!

Tom said...

...it's much too cold to do this here!

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never done this kind of early sowing but have known folks who did. Your streusel looks tasty. Happy T Tuesday!

A Cuban In London said...

That's so creative. Thanks. :-)

Greetings from London.

kathyinozarks said...

I agree with you-this is the absolute best way to start seeds-I found out about it several years ago and have always gotten healthy plants.
Happy T

Kate Yetter said...

Pear spiced streusel??! That sounds amazing! I need the recipe. What a great idea for growing sweet onions. I may have to give this a try.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

Karen said...

Good for you on getting a head start! Streusel looks like a winner to me ~ Happy New Year!

Debra said...

It's good to see you busy growing things already. You are a wonderful gardener.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My friend and former fellow T Tuesday participant Carol does the same. She has snow and it seems to work for her. Here is her blog: https://silverspringacres.blogspot.com/ and here is just one example of how she creates hers. she goes into more detail in other posts, but I didn't have time to search. You might find more by checking her blog for WINTER SOWN.

Your pear spice streusel sounds SO good. Just perfect for T time, too. Thanks for sharing your seed starting plans and your streusel and coffee with us for T this Tuesday, dear Nicole.

Let's Art Journal said...

Wow, so great to wow seeds this time of year and I love how you recycled the plastic jug 😁. The pear spice streusel looks so yummy, I'd love a slice with my cuppa. Happy T Day and wishing you all the best for the New Year! Hugs, Jo x

My name is Erika. said...

Glad you got planting done. It is always exciting. Still a few more months before I can start plants, but I am going to try it when the time is here. I did find the video very interesting you sent me awhile back. Your crumble looks delicious. It is also perfect for T. Happy new year Nicole.

Dianne said...

What an ingenious little cold frame for planting, and excellent recycling too! Wow, the pear streusel looks divine! Happy New Year!

CJ Kennedy said...

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to show that to Himself. Mmm, pear streusel. Happy T Day

Magic Love Crow said...

Good for you with your seeds Nicole! Pear spice streusel?? Yummy! Big Hugs!

Lisabella Russo said...

What a clever idea and the crumble looks delicious!

Lowcarb team member said...

Well done on the winter sowing.

Like the look and sound of the Pear Spice Streusel :)

Happy mid-week wishes.

All the best Jan

Eileen Bergen said...

Very interesting, Nicole. It sounds like there are a lot of advantages to starting your seedlings this way. It will be interesting to see how they all do. Please keep us up to date.

Your Pear Spice Streusel looks yummy.

Wishing you the best in 2021 and a Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oooh! Your are going to ready for that warm Spring(I hope it will be warm!) Pera Spice Streusel looks to be a perfect accompaniment to your cuppa! Belated Happy T Day and Happy New Year! Chrisx

Hot guys said...

Nic, you're always so creative, it's awesome to watch that. 🙂

And your Pear Spice Streusel... Yes, please! 😛