Sunday, August 16, 2026

Sunday in the art room

 Welcome to 

SITAR is about ANYTHING art. Your art, someone else's art, writing, photography, the art of cooking, the art of sewing and textiles. Sharing historical art, street art, a story about art. Do you have a question or need help with art? Write a blog post and link it up here. We will all try to help with it. My only rule is that if someone asks for critique it must be done with generosity and consideration. 
This is a place of learning, encouragement and inspiration.
 
I love art dolls. Some of you may remember my spirit dolls.
 




 
Over my years I have made other types of dolls and always am impressed with dolls I see at shops or on line. 
 


Art Dolls by AKVARELA


Ankie: the dollmaker


 
The doll world is massive and the creations are never ending. 
You know I had to show you some creepy dolls. 
These are from Pintrest.
 


Did you know, The first recorded dolls date back more than 4,000 years ago to ancient civilizations like Egypt, Greece, and Rome. The oldest known examples are wooden "paddle dolls" found in ancient Egyptian tombs from around 2000 BC, made with clay or bead hair.
 
The oldest known complete dolls in history are  Egyptian Paddle dolls, carved from wood and dating back to around 2000 BCE (the Middle Kingdom period). Found buried in ancient tombs, these flat, paddle-shaped figures feature bead or clay-thread hair and geometric body patterns. 
Dolls exist in every human culture. They serve as sacred ritual objects, beloved toys, and powerful historical records that reveal how people lived and what they valued across time.
  
 If you are interested in dolls just google it.
 
 Nicole
 
I'm joining Gillena for 
 
 

28 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It’s interesting that attractive females were often referred to as dolls.

Mia said...

Hi Nicole, I added my link but I do not see it. I do not know what is going on.
I LLLLLLLLOVE your art dolls.
Hugs, my friend.

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting about the dolls. I had two. And a monkey. And books...
Hihi, the creepy ones are way cool!

Gillena Cox said...

Dolls go way back, i didn't know that
Happy Sunday, Nicole. Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles

Much love

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have a couple of friends who also collect art dolls. One collects bizarre ones. This was a fascinating post, Nicole. Other than the ones you made, my favorite was Poe with his raven. Happy SITAR and Sunday Smiles.

Gene Black said...

I have made a few dolls. Most of them were made for children, but I did make one art doll.
https://artbygene.blogspot.com/2010/11/who-says-boys-cant-play-with-dolls.html

kwarkito said...

tes poupées sont absolument saisissantes et celles que tu présentes réalisées par d'autres artistes très curieuses. Je ne me suis jamais aventuré sur ce chemin là. Une fois peut-être avec ça, que je t'ai déjà montré https://kwarkito.blogspot.com/2013/02/je-serai-dedans.html

Anvilcloud said...

Have a dollicious Sunday and week.

My name is Erika. said...

I love your spirit dolls Nicole. They are really interesting, and have a Native American feel to some of them. I like the dolls that looks homemade too. (Rather than machine made) Those homemade dolls have a lot of personality and love in them. I hope you have a super rest of your weekend and start to the new week. hugs-Erika

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My faves are your spirit doll #6, the Edgar Allen Poe doll, and the ancient Egyptian paddle doll!

jabblog said...

Your spirit dolls are delightful.

Tom said...

...I have ALWAYS loved your spirit dolls! Than Nicole for hosting, I wish you a wonderful new week.

Jeanie said...

Your spirit dolls are fantastic. I don't remember seeing those before. I enjoyed the others, too.

Christine said...

Your spirit dolls are so creative!

an artist reflects said...

I remember your Spirit dolls ~ they are awesome ~ wonderful post about art dolls ~ Hugs ^_^

MELODY JACOB said...

Learning about those Egyptian paddle dolls from 2000 BCE always blows my mind. It’s wild to think that four thousand years ago, someone was sitting there carving wood and stringing bead hair, just trying to capture something human, just like artists are doing today. Dolls are such powerful things; they hold so much of our history and our inner worlds.

Angie's Recipes said...

I always find those dolls quite spooky, though beautiful. I have never owned a doll when I was a kid..

Mary Kirkland said...

I love the dolls. They're so unique.

Fundy Blue said...

Your unique dolls make my Raggedy Ann and Andy look so tame, Nicole. I still have them 50 years after I made them in Home Ec. Enjoy the week!

Gillena Cox said...

Happy you linked to SundaySmiles

Much love

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

An amazing collection of dolls! Thank you so much for sharing, dear friend. I hope you have a lovely week ahead, Nicole.

Lowcarb team member said...

An interesting read about dolls and I think your spirit dolls are very creative.

All the best Jan

Michelle said...

Interesting to learn about the paddle dolls. I have always loved dolls and I like your creepy ones!

dmZapp said...

Hey, I recognize one of your spirits! The magician, he resides on my shelf and I see him first thing in the morning every day. I absolutely adore him. Thanks.

Margaret D said...

How interesting are your dolls, they look great and thanks for sharing.

Katerinas Blog said...

Thank you so much for this post, Nicole; I’m really interested in dolls!
But I prefer the romantic style—something that evokes our childhood...
I’ve looked into this hobby, though I haven’t made any myself yet. I might give it a try in the future...
Your dolls are fantastic, and browsing the links feels just like a trip to an amusement park!

Ananka said...

These are great dolls :-D

baili said...

you made some intriguing dolls dear Nichole !

i was not much into dolls as growing girl but i would play with them just to play with my cousins and girl friends back in native town. i saw some really cool and special dolls those days ,all made with cloths and strings ,girls would pre live their future life as house wives through them :)