Tuesday, June 16, 2026

T Tuesday

 Hi Everyone!
Today is Tuesday so that means I'm linking up with Elizabeth and Bleubeard.  
 
I wished for a hot day and I got it! Sunday it was, yep, 90°F. It was heaven! 
I can't be in the sun for too long and not without protection due to lupus. But I did go out and raised my face to the sun for just a few minutes. 
Mr. M. thought it would be a good day to check out the river. 
This part of the river is about 1/2 mile from my house. 

Can't see it very well but these are all foxglove growing on the side of the road.
 
After that very short drive we are there. A few years ago the city came in and put in a new, short walking path along the river. 
 
They fixed the road from pot holes from hell, and put in a retaining wall along with a new walking path. It's pretty nice now. 
 
 This is part of the dunes. In fact, Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, is the largest expanse of coastal sand dunes in North America 
This is just a small part of it. 
 
 
This is know as the Siuslaw (S I OOs law) river and it is blue, blue, blue. It is also brine and often whales and sea lions can be seen.  But not today.
 
If one keeps gong up the river you will come to the jetty. 
 
Here is the North Jetty beach.
Not my photo. Internet.
 
The tide pools are amazing.
 
This next photo is mine and it's whats left of the old fishery that used to be here.
 
Large coho salmon runs on the Siuslaw River attracted many early settlers to the area. The Duncan Cannery opened in 1877 and was soon followed by numerous canneries which flourished as the fishing industry grew. In 1894 the William Kyle Cannery was established. Cans were made by hand in preparation for the fish brought to the canneries which were cleaned, cut and processed. It was not uncommon for 500 cases to be canned by a cannery in a single day. Cases of canned fish were then shipped out on schooners, which often carried 3500 cases of salmon and 100 barrels of salt salmon for shipment to San Francisco.


 


  • 1876: The first salmon cannery and fishery opened but closed three years later in 1879 when sand blew into the machinery. 
  • Ya know sand dunes and it's flippen windy here.
  • 1884: William Kyle opened a successful cannery and store in Florence, processing large amounts of fish.
  • 1887: A co-operative cannery was built near the mouth of the North Fork of the Siuslaw.
  • Late 1890s – 1914: Salmon levels dropped too low to maintain profitable commercial operations, leading to successive closures by 1914.
  • 1919: The last cannery in the area officially shut down, shifting the area's economic focus entirely to the logging and timber industries.  
  • This is us coming home. The next street is ours but I wanted to get all of the flags flying. Can't really see them in this photo. Sorry
    The entire town had flags in celebration of flag day. The Kiwanis club takes care of this. It's actually pretty impressive.
     
    I almost forgot to show my drink. I do enjoy and ice cold beer on a hot day.
    Have a great day today.
    Nicole
     

    24 comments:

    David M. Gascoigne, said...

    I was immediately drawn to those tide pools, Nicole. What fascinating little ecosystems they are. I can get lost in them for hours.

    Tom said...

    ...90°F is too hot for this old fellow. Thanks for taking me along to see the sights.

    Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

    It's supposed to hit 100F here today. I HATE the heat. I plan to stay inside cooled by the AC today.

    I always love it when I learn something new at T time. I was impressed by the sand dunes. We have dunes here, but obviously not coastal.

    I loved learning about the jetty and the canneries. What an antique lover wouldn't give for one of those hand made cans. The life cycle of the salmon cannery industry is a lot like many industries today. I can think of ones that have "died" in my lifetime, like VCRs and VCR tapes, computer discs, and rotary telephones.

    How nice your city is patriotic on Flag Day.

    Thanks for also sharing your beer with us for T this Tuesday, dear Nicole.

    Gene Black said...

    It looks like a lovely area. I could see the flags along the sides of the street.

    Anvilcloud said...

    So it is hot there. After sweltering here last week, I slept in hoodie and blanket last night.

    My name is Erika. said...

    What a fun tour Nicole. I enjoyed it. It looks beautiful in your area. My husband's grandfather came from Astoria and his great-grandfather ran a salmon fishing ( I believe salmon) boat or a few boats there. I've only I bet the dunes are cool too. They look great in your photo. Thanks for the tour and happy T day. hugs-Erika

    Halle said...

    Love your photos. Looks like it was a great little outing. Happy T day!

    Margaret D said...

    That is a lovely place to go for a drive. Good to have the sun on your face even if it's just a minute.
    Take care...nice post.

    Dicky Bird said...

    Oh that was a nice history lesson. I enjoyed the photos as well. Yes sand and wind...don't mix.

    an artist reflects said...

    Lovely photos of a beautiful area you live in ~ such history too ~
    Nothing like a cold beer on a hot day ~ enjoy ~ Hugs ^_^

    Giorgio said...

    I was interested in watching there photos of your special corner of the world.

    Bill said...

    Nice tour and history. What a lovely area you live in, I always loved the Oregon coast, it is amazing and beautiful. My daughter lives in Portland and loves it there.

    Luiz Gomes said...

    Boa tarde, minha querida amiga Nicole. Suas fotos ficaram maravilhosas. Cada pessoa, tem a sua cor favorita, no caso, a cor azul é a minha preferida. Uma excelente tarde de terça-feira e um grande abraço do seu amigo carioca. Breve teremos outras publicações diferentes e espero que você goste.

    Angie's Recipes said...

    Such a relaxing and beautiful place to go for a ride or a walk! We have been having lots of rain, so I am jealous of your sunshine!

    Lisca said...

    That was a lovely outing! Thank you for taking me along. I enjoyed seeing the dune landscape. And the information about the cannery is very interesting. I visited a sardine canning museum in southern Portugal and found it fascinating.
    Ninety degrees is quite warm, I will admit. Here, it's hovering around the 83. Warm enough though. I'm going to Madrid tomorrow (big city) and it will be 85 plus.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    Ananka said...

    Wonderful photos. Those foxgloves look super :-D I need to avoid the sun too, covered in moles head to toe! So long sleeves and trousers, a hat and lots of cream! :-D

    Thanks for your kind words Nicole, meant a lot. I am gonna miss him so much, he was my wee boy <3

    Mae Travels said...

    As you imply — The destruction of salmon habitat by the big river dams and extreme overfishing were early-20th century environmental tragedies. It’s good that some recovery has happened. Thanks for all the great photos of the area.
    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    Michelle said...

    90 degrees is hot! We will be at the same temp here soon. You have some beautiful views in your area.

    Mary Kirkland said...

    It's 107 F here today. I have to keep reminding my daughter not to go out in this heat for very long, now that she's feeling a little better.

    The pictures make me want to visit there.

    Lowcarb team member said...

    Phew 90°F is HOT!

    I enjoyed seeing your photographs, so nice to see the river views.

    All the best Jan

    Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

    So enjoyed the beautiful tour, Nicole.
    What a sight it would be to see those wild foxgloves.
    Love tide pools. As a kid, you could always find me exploring them on beach days. Love the orange star…..fish.
    Happy T-Day!

    Jeanie said...

    This looks like a lovely day -- and a really fun one. And finally hot like summer! (Yesterday I don't think we got over 70). It's really beautiful territory and everything you did looked fun and interesting. I like the history parts, too! I learned a lot too -- I knew nothing of the canning industry.

    Gillena Cox said...

    Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous
    Happy Wednesday, Nicole
    Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much love

    CJ Kennedy said...

    90 is my kind of weather. The river and the riverwalk looks like a nice place to spend a day. Happy T Day