Saturday, June 6, 2026

Dentist woes

 Hi Everyone!
 
I'm just ranting. 
As most of you know I went to the dentist yesterday. Am I just living in the twilight zone for prices on EVERYTHING?
 
I had a comprehensive exam a few months ago and everything was fine. That doctor retired. I stayed with the people that took over the practice. 
Today I had to go in because my upper partial was too tight and making my back tooth hurt. I fixed the partial myself. But wanted to make sure the back tooth was OK.
I'm scheduled to get new partials in 2 weeks. I have saved for that. 
 
Today's visit cost me $358.00 for them to take 2 exrays and look at my back teeth. He said the back tooth is fine and I most likely upset the tendon. However, the tooth next to it has a small cavity right at the cap line. He showed me the exray. Fortunately I do read exrays, and sure enough there was a problem. He said he would have to remove the cap fix the problem and put a new cap on. Are you ready for this?
$3,000.00 Yes, 3 grand.
Then the partials are another 2 grand. 
Lord have mercy. There is no way I can do this. Mr. M. says, just bite the bullet put it on the credit card and we will deal with that as we can. 
It just seems ridiculous that everything costs so much.  
OK, I'm done ranting. 
I hope all of you have a really wonderful Saturday.
Nicole.
 

34 comments:

jabblog said...

You have to wonder where all the money is going, and who is making a very good living. The cost of living is rising everywhere. It's frightening for those on a low income.

Anvilcloud said...

Sometimes I am fortunate to have a level of income that causes healthcare to offer me a lot of support for dental work.

Iris Flavia said...

Woah. I ... what?! Ingo wanted something steady and had to pay 1.000,-€ - all other our system pays for.
OK, that´s monthly we pay in, too.
Oh, heck, no idea what is better. I think I go brush my teeth very, very good (so far I have my own still).

Tom said...

...dental fees are sky high.

Sherry said...

It is scary how expensive medical and dental care is, especially when you are on a tight budget...like me, lol!

Bill said...

Wow, that is incredible. Over here and if you are 66 and older, you qualify for a free medical card. It does cover dental work, not all but a good chunk of it. I got partial dentures 5 years ago for free and you can get replacement every five years.

Ananka said...

Jeez oh that is pricy!

Christine said...

So sorry, ouch! Our government introduced a Canadian Dental Care Plan to help residents.

DVArtist said...

It's ridiculous.

DVArtist said...

You are so lucky.

DVArtist said...

They get you coming and going.

DVArtist said...

I think beyond the sky around here.

DVArtist said...

I might move over your way.

DVArtist said...

Indeed.

DVArtist said...

Canada is so much better.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Nicole, I suggest calling around and asking for a second opinion. Staying with a dental clinic out of loyalty may be costing you in more ways than one!

Gene Black said...

Prices can be quite absurd. Years ago, I went with a friend to Mexico on a "medical excursion" - He needed a bridge and the cost was outrageous even with his insurance. We had contacts in Mexico and found a dentist that could do it for LESS than his co-pay. (and yes the dentist was excellent and US trained. He even spoke English.)
So we went for (I think) eight days for a vacation. He got his bridge and his share of the trip (including dental) was less than the co-pay here.
The dentist did a thorough examination and sent him for X-rays to be sure everything was okay. Good thing - there was a problem so he had to have a cantilevered bridge. ( no extra charge - but in the US it would have been.)

Lowcarb team member said...

Goodness! That price is high!!!

All the best Jan

Fundy Blue said...

OMG, Nicole! Teeth! I'm so sorry. One day at a time, and hope for your future. Your Mr. M. is a prince! Hang in there.

My name is Erika. said...

I'm am totally with you. That's crazy. And aren't you glad you can read xrays. I can too which is always good to double check what they say. Hope everything works out Nicole. hugs-Erika

DVArtist said...

Yes, I'm calling Monday to another dentist.

DVArtist said...

My brother Tom did the same thing and it was so inexpensive. The work was excellent too.

DVArtist said...

Too high for me.

DVArtist said...

He is but I can't justify that kind of money for one tooth.

DVArtist said...

Yes, being able to read xrays is a plus for sure.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

That is crazy. Did you think about another dentist ?

Modrina Neba - Blue sky said...

Terrible what prices, but we have no choice but to pay, being without teeth is even more terrible.
Hug for a nice Sunday!

Margaret D said...

Oh Lord that is very expensive, it's ridiculous really. Dentists are expensive down here too.

Christine said...

Thanks so much for featuring me Nicole!

Christine said...

Somehow your post today got merged with yesterday's

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The cost of dental work verges on obscene.

Christine said...

Blame my iphone for seeming to merge your posts, so weird, it looks ok on my windows laptop sorry.

Michelle said...

Dental work is terrible in price. Always has been, and in this economy is hardly affordable!

Jeanie said...

I hear you on the dentist. I'm living dangerously and holding off on something because it's just so darned pricey.