Thursday, June 15, 2023

Friday Face OFF 6/16/23 Lost skull found

 Welcome to Friday Face OFF. This is where you can show your talents by creating any type of face in any medium. Then, simply link back to this blog, link to MR. Linky and leave comments. It's that easy.

If you are reading this around 9:30 AM PC time then send some good wishes because I am in having the biopsy on my thyroid. It's been an ordeal to get to this point. 

In the meantime I have this wonderful skull that was found in the depths of the catacombs below the city of Paris, France. It was discovered alone in a section of the catacomb where no others have ventured. Encrusted with centuries of quarry dust and moisture, the skull beneath will never share it's secretes. 
 

OK, so that is just my little back story for this piece that I created. LOL


 A foam skull covered in grout.

 Painted black and left to dry.


 A mix of several different colors of acrylic paints makes the quarry color.


 Then placed on a wooden plate and covered in the same grit and colored.


 The back would be smoother as it came away from the catacomb wall.


 I am keeping this piece for my collection.


 
I also found the energy to begin the revamping of this skull.

 


 It's foam so I sawed the top of his head off.  Covered that with clay and latex. I made and attached clay horns.


I also corps small skulls and placed them on top of his head. I still have to paint him.

Someone asked how I got interested in skulls. It has been a lifetime endeavor. My dad and I would watch all of the scary movies and I fell in love with monsters, vampires, werewolves, zombies and bones. I have collected bones all of my life creating art with them. Later my mom and I sold animal bones and furs. Faces and the structure behind the skin always fascinated me.  I have a very large collection of animal skulls and of course shrunken heads and human skulls. I never tire of creating with them. 
Now for the featured artist.
It's Leeanna from Not Afraid of Color
How cool is this.
 
I'm also linking with Gillena

Now it's your turn to show me your face.

Nicole
 

19 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Once again your skulls are fabulously ghastly! When I visit Paris again I hope I don't see them! You really love scary! Happy Friday, hugs, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Fingers and toes crossed you have a good outcome of the biopsy...
Interesting Paris-find!
And I love your skulls and even more so after knowing the story behind.
Hope all goes well, to a happy weekend soon.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Gory. Nicely done. Amazing you found that skull.

Christine said...

Good luck with your biopsy Nicole! You had me going with your skull story haha! -christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Carola Bartz said...

Good luck with the biopsy and all the best to you.
Your work with the skulls is quite fascinating - the revamping looks amazing. Interesting that you liked to watch all the scary movies and that eventually this led to your lifelong interest in skulls.

roentare said...

All the best to your biopsy! The skulls have the texture of sea cucumber

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Certainly not a fascination many people have, Nicole, at least not the ones I have known! Good luck with the thyroid biopsy; I hope everything turns out well.

Tom said...

...Nicole, I hope that all goes well for you on the health front!

My name is Erika. said...

Good luck today Nicole. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. And it's fun to see how your skull was created. I like the bumpy texture. Have a great Friday and weekend ahead. hugs-Erika

Gene Black said...

It is always interesting to find out about your processes. I will not likely use many of them, but I have always been fascinated with -HOW- things are created.

Mae Travels said...

Here’s to a good and useful result from your procedure!

I knew a young man in Paris who belonged to a group that knew back routes into the sewers and catacombs, and did a lot of forbidden exploring. Now I think it’s all commercialized. So you are lucky if you were there early.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gillena Cox said...

Have a nice Day Nicole.
Thanks for linking to AFFF.

There will be a Sunday Smiles linky on Sunday also


Much💚love

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You did a great job of recreating that crusty skull. Good luck with the biopsy -- I hope you get the answers you need.

Rita said...

Good luck with your biopsy!!

Rostrose said...

Dear Nicole,
I really hope that everything went well with your thyroid biopsy!
You came up with a great story in connection with your Parisian catacomb skull 😉😁 - and an exciting making of!
Thank you for explaining how you became interested in skulls and shrunken heads! Fascinating that your parents encouraged you dealing with monsters and therefore you weren't scared - I don't have a problem with anatomical structures but I've been scared of horror movies etc all my life...
Sunny June greetings 🌿🌸☀️🌸🌿
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/06/meine-erlebnisse-und-outfits-im.html

ashok said...

Good work Nicole

peppylady (Dora) said...

Look like you enjoy doing faces.
Coffee is on, and stay safe.

carol l mckenna said...

Awesome artistry here ~ skulls are amazing ~ Xo


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Lowcarb team member said...

Good luck with the biopsy, thinking of you.

All the best Jan