Thursday, April 20, 2023

Friday Face OFF 4/21/23 more tutorial

 Hi Everyone!

Welcome to FFO. The place to show of any type of face. Link back to this blog, link up with MR. Linky, then leave comments. Can't wait to see all the faces.

I do have to apologizes for the awful photos this week. We are in perpetual winter and everything is dark and gloomy.

Last week I gave a tutorial on how I make can faces. This week I will show you how I color them with pastels. Of course you can color them with just about anything. However, I would like to go over the eyes a bit more. Last week I just made simple clay eyes. You can check it out here.  This week I want to show you how to use plastic, resin or glass eyes. I do get these very well made plastic eyes from Amazon. Just type in plastic doll eyes. The prices are great too. The big rounds are 2 different sizes.
The process for making clay faces is simply layering clay to make features. 
For these eyes I used the medium big 
rounds and placed them further on the side of the head. I think he is just too cute. LOL

Make even amounts of rolled clay, starting from a ball then roll them out.
 

I tend to go thick but you can make them any size you want. Place the rolls over the tops of the eyes and blend in.


 Then do the same for the bottom part of the eye.


 Wet your fingers to keep the clay moist so blending goes well.


 Keep shaping and blending until you like what  you have.


 Add other features and allow to dry.



OK, now to see how I colored last weeks face.

I used pastels on these faces.
 

With a semi stiff brush rub it over the black pastel.


 Then paint the eyeballs. Blow any excess away.


 

 With a larger brush and any color you like, fill the brush with pastel.


 

 I used a periwinkle color that doesn't show up very well but I did cover the entire face.

 

 Now, to darken the color and add shadows.


 With a blade scrape off a bit of the color you want to use. You don't need much for this so start small.


 Use the small brush. I spritz some water on the back of my hand and dampen, just dampen the brush. Then tap it into the powdered pastel. Start light. Not too much on the brush or you will get a big dark spot that is hard to remove.


 Using the same wet technique paint your face any way you like.


 Mine ended up like this. Remember I am making creatures. You can get as real as you like.


 

 

So far I have 2 for my paint brushes.   
I hope this gives you some ideas and inspiration to work with clay.
 
This weeks artist is;
Iris from 
I'm also linking with Gillena

Now it's your turn to show me your face. 
 
Nicole 

24 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

I like those eyes! Next time I order something, they will likely be in!
Can you make a mobile from them, I wonder? I also have still all glasses my Brother made for me since 2001, could become a fun mobile, don´t you think?
Didn´t know about that use of the pastels, either - thank you!
Have a great day!

Cloudia said...

Your art has a lot of personality!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Those doll eyes are something else -- wow!

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your fun faces! Happy Friday, hugs, Valerie

sirkkis said...

Impressive art work, Nicole. Thank you for sharing your great tutorial.
Wishing you happy, warm weekend xx

NatureFootstep said...

seems to be a öot offun. Love the colors you used on these. :)

Tom said...

...eyes are an expression of our souls. Thanks Nicole for hosting the party, enjoy your spring.

My name is Erika. said...

Those eyes by themselves look a bit spooky, but they look great once placed in the face. And I would never have guessed you use pastels to color your faces. The effect is super Nicole. Hope your weather improves soon. I was working outside the other day and it was so cold we actually had a few snowflakes. Brr. Hugs-Erika

roentare said...

The eye balls are wicked!

Christine said...

Neat eyes from Amazon and very nice faces painted in.

Christine said...

Naet eyes from Amazon and very nice faces painted in. Congrats to Iris on being featured ! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Gene Black said...

My apologies, I have had a busy week and didn't even find a face to post- or have time to write the post. Maybe I can get it in later today.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness, Nicole. I think I forgot to leave a comment on your tin can faces. I am SO sorry. I was so tired and got distracted. I hope you forgive my lack of attention.

Those eyes are SO realistic. I adore how real they look. Om the first can photo, he looks like an alien (grin). I'm impressed with how well you mold that clay around the eye and how nicely you smooth it out.

I like how you used the soft pastels. I've had trouble with pastels. They are either too soft or they are so hard, they break. I'm glad you have better control over yours.

I have to say I don't think I've seen so many brushes in one photo in my life. No wonder you made these two cans. I would love to work with air dry clay, but as long as I have all my poly clay, I can't justify the added cost. However, I might try this with poly clay next month. Thanks for both tutorials and the inspiration.

Rostrose said...

Dear Nicole, those plastic eyes look really funny! I also like your faces with the self-made eyes. Sometimes like this, sometimes like that, that makes it more exciting!
About the faces in my today's post: Of course there are some animals and people again, but I think the two roadside art female faces are particularly well suited for FFO - what do you think?
Happy FFO and happy weekend! 🌸🌿🌸
Hugs, Traude 😘
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/04/rax-und-thenauriegel-zwei-ausfluge-mit.html

carol l mckenna said...

Great eyes and face creation ~ Happy Weekend to you ~

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Gillena Cox said...

Fantastic and fun can faces. Nicole thanks for linking up at AFFF
Have a nice and creative weekend.

Stay warm.

Much💖love

Jeanie said...

I love how you use your brushes and pastels to paint your faces. It must be very painstaking work but the colors and their softness is really lovely with the textures.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful post

peppylady (Dora) said...

Hopefully in feature. As I get more days off. I can join in more.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Your imagination is your superpower ... your art is fantastic and I love these faces. The only clay I have is the bake in the oven type, will that work? It comes in colors so I would have some options. I think I will start with a little can ... and I'll get my granddaughter to join me. This will be so much fun :) Thank you so much for teaching us this technique :) Happy Spring, Nicole ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Divers and Sundry said...

What's with this gray, chilly weather? You got it right with "perpetual winter" :(

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Very nice. I have to read your post over a few times and admire you work.

Lowcarb team member said...

I do like your fun faces, many thanks for the tutorial.

All the best Jan

Rain said...

Those are great Sis!