Thursday, April 13, 2023

Friday Face Off 4/14/23 Step by Step

 Hi Everyone!

Today is FFO. Here you can show off any type of face. Then, link back to my blog, link up with Mr. Linky, and leave comments. It's that easy!

This week I am showing how I put my can faces together. Next week I will show how I color them. These are fantasy, character faces.



 Wash a veggi can. Paint it any color you like.

 Prepare your clay. Brush some white glue onto the can where the face will go.


  Roll out clay

 


 Place on can seal down the sides.


Mark out where you want facial features.


 Make 2 even sized balls of clay



 Brush eye area with a bit of water and place in the clay.


 Using the tool of your choice smooth in the eyes.


 Roll out a piece of clay


 That looks something like this.



 Place between the eyes.


 Adjust by pushing up to where you want the nose to end. Smooth the sides.


Roll out a thick piece of clay and place it for the brow.

 With your fingers blend it in.

  
 


Go All the way to the top of the head.


 Make 2 small clay snakes for the eyes.




 wrap them around the eyes and blend in.



 Make a ball of clay and cut in half.



 


 Place on sides of nose and blend and shape.


 Using the end of anything, make nose holes. As you push in also push out to form the sides better.


 For the bottom lip and chin. Roll a ball of clay  then mash down half of it.


 Start to shape the bottom lip.



 Apply it to where the bottom lip will be on your face. Blend and shape.


 Make a clay snake for the top lip shape and blend.


 


 

 

 

 

While working with Das air dry clay, if you see any cracks or drying simply went your fingers and rub that area. Spritz with water during the working process. The best thing is, you can stop at any time and come back to the piece. You can allow it to dry completely and start up again. Just add a bit of water to the area you are working on.
You can do this with polymer too. Bake your piece right on the can.
Part 2 next week. Won't be as long.

Now for the featured artist. This week is;

I'm also linking up with Gillena
Now it's your turn to show me your face.
Nicole

 

28 comments:

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing your process Nicole -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Fascinating process!

kwarkito said...

A very interesting work in progress. Thanks a lot for publishing my drawing. I wish you a happy weekend.

Valerie-Jael said...

Thanks for sharing how you make your strange faces!Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You make it look SO easy, Nicole. Thanks for the tutorial.

sirkkis said...

Hi Nicole,
and thank you for your super tutorial how you create your great art.
I never would learn to do.
I hope you enjoy the upcoming weekend and the weather is sunny there.
Here it's forecasted sunny and warm days.

Iris Flavia said...

We had huge veggie cans and Ingo once repaired the exhaust in the middle of nowhere in Australia with it - oh, if it had had a face that would´ve been too funny for the repair guys!
I once made a shoe from clay. It was fun! But is was too big to "bake" and I gave up. Your clay sounds easier to use.
Have a nice day!

My name is Erika. said...

I really enjoyed seeing how you made this Nicole. Now I get it; and it's not that difficult is it? I need to try this as I have some paper clay. These face cans you are making are fun-I know I said that last week too. Have a great weekend. hugs-Erika

roentare said...

The face you are working on is artistic

David M. Gascoigne, said...

And to think I've been putting empty cans in the recycling bin! I wash the first though!

Mae Travels said...

Interesting idea for a small piece of art work. Looks like a fun project. I think you have some key skills that make it work.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gene Black said...

Great tutorial, Nicole. Would I be right in guessing that the ribs on the veggie can help to secure the clay? Or could you do this on a smooth surface also?

Jeanie said...

I really appreciate the complete tutorial and the individual step-out photos. Well done! And, the tip on the water and air clay is a good one! Happy Weekend.

Giorgio said...

Interesting info and images about the process. Thank you for sharing 😊

Tom said...

...I like seeing the steps that you take in making it.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the tutorial, I'd like to have a go at that.

Rostrose said...

Dear Nicole,
it was very interesting to watch your working process. I like your can face very much and I'm curious about part 2! In my post today you can choose whether you prefer our human faces, dog-, cat- or bird-faces or the faces of the painted people and animals. Unfortunately the dolphins didn't show us their faces...
Have a good weekend 🌷☘️🌷!
All the best from Austria, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/04/costa-rica-10-kapitel-samara-delfine.html

Gillena Cox said...

Nicole
Thanks for linking to AFFF

Much💖love

LA Paylor said...

how cool is that, and your tutorial, not that I feel I can do that!
LeeAnna

Lowcarb team member said...

Very interesting to see the work in progress.
Have a good weekend.

All the best Jan

Cloudia said...

Thank you

ashok said...

Wishing you A very happy world art day Nicole..

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful clay tutorial ~ such fun and creative ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

peppylady (Dora) said...

Wow! What talent. Less days of work means more time for creativity.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

Granny Annie said...

I value all your art and wish I had the energy to create something anymore.

Magaly Guerrero said...

Love seeing your process. And I really like the piece of your chosen artist.

NatureFootstep said...

your clay work seems like a lot of fun. Makes me like to try but I don´t have the space to do it. I am overloded as it is. :)

Dawn said...

Wow these clay faces are amazing, it's our first visit for Friday Face Off and look forward to seeing your future posts.I love knitting, making cards and painting really bad watercolours as I've only just started learning to paint,
Dawn x