Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Answering some questions from you

 Hi Everyone!

I don't post on Wednesdays very often but I wanted to answer some questions that have been posed in the comment section. OK, this isn't a question buttt... Carola bARTz mentioned that she cleans up her garden but also plants a fall crop.  Deb  from Learning2just breath asked, "no chance of a Fall garden? Where do you live??

Okayyy.... I live in the town of Florence, Oregon on the Cold Angry Pacific Coast. I am about 1 mile from the beach and a few blocks from the Siuslaw River. (SY oos law) Let me tell you the wind is constant. Also, I rent where I live and as fantastic as my landlord is, this is still his property and so container gardening works best for both of us. This part of the coast used to be a rain forest. A century of logging and well.... less trees less rain. With that said we still get more rain than most places in the US. This year we had a record breaking rain all the way into June. Today the rains have already started for winter. So a fall garden for me is out of the question. However, I must say that in the short growing season that I have my crops are plentiful. I am thankful for that.



With the cool, wet summers things grow full and lush. There are days I don't even have to water. The salty moisture is certainly good for gardens. I just have to protect everything from the winds.

This is truly what most of my mornings look like. I was corrected when I called it fog. It's a marine layer. LOL All this moisture makes for a pretty lush garden. However, there are things that just don't do well here. Tomatoes, and peppers. It is just too windy and cold.
 

Over the years I have learned that any kind of squash, peas, green beans, hard bean, leafy veggies, onions, carrots, beets, and cabbage grow like crazy. 
This is just one of the cabbages.


The thing that I really love growing here are potatoes. I do grow them in 5 gallon buckets and get enough to last all year.

I did start some in the ground and hope they produce before winter hits.

Lettuce and spinach I dry can and put it in my fridge. They will last 4 or more weeks. The best idea that was ever shared with me.

Ohhh.... sorry I got carried away. I can talk garden all day long. 

Nicole
 

 

12 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

You do wonders with your garden. Now I'm wondering if I have fog outside or a marine layer? Perhaps a river layer here would be more appropriate! Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think most of us would be calling that marine layer fog!

Tom said...

...you enjoy a nice passion.

kathyinozarks said...

You live in an interesting climate-awesome to live so close to the ocean not familiar with lettuce in canning jars-how do you do that?
Kathy

Jeanie said...

I love that you can and do grow so many things in containers. I have bad dirt and a bad back so working in a 'real" (ground) garden is tough for me. This is pretty inspiring! (I'm sure your great climate helps, too!)

My name is Erika. said...

I think your garden is so productive. Mine was only so-so this year. And no second garden for me either. I am jealous that some people can actually do that. I'm hoping you get some great potatoes. You've inspired me for next year. hugs-Erika

Ahmed said...

my mom tried hard to grow peppers, but she could not as pepper plant would dy soon after planting .she grew cabbage ,spinach ,okra ,onion ,garlic tomatoes zucchini but peppers remained task unachieved for unknown reasons

i think you are one of most wise ladies dear Nichole ,but storing potatoes for whole years is breaking news though i know you live in colder part .here potatoes get spoiled within week due to heat probably even in fridge

Divers and Sundry said...

I like that you give so much detail about your garden :) It's as close as I get to that kind of gardening as my plants are all for the pollinators lol

Christine said...

Container gardening works well for you

Debra She Who Seeks said...

"Marine layer" -- I've never heard that term before!

Debra said...

You are so inspiring in so many ways! I'm thankful we are blog friends!

Rita said...

Up north here a fall garden would be buried in snow--lol! ;)
You do wonderfully with your container garden and such a short season! :)