Wednesday, July 13, 2022

TADD Thursday Art Dinner Date

 Hi Everyone!

Today is the first TADD with Rain. After being asked by Kathy, Rain took over Food Wednesday and combined it with TAD. Why not it's a good marriage. So let's have some fun with this.

First the art.
This is a WIP 
We finally have a date for our art show.
"Art on the yard" will be July 29-30th. 
That is if the weather and health holds. LOL
My friend, Cathy will be selling with me. It should be fun.
I am pricing and taking inventory.

 Spirit dolls, Stickman dolls, leather faces, and sculpture art, and wall hangings.


 All tag and yes bagged so the dust doesn't get to them.


 A few of the clay totems


 And a big case of clay faces and cabochons.


More to price this weekend and I will be making displays to hang art. In my bead art days Mr. M. and I traveled the US as vendors at art shows. It was so much fun back then.
I am hoping for the same here.

Now for some food. My garden is finally taking off. Pretty late in the year, so I am hoping for a long Indian summer to make up for it. I swear I can see the lettuce growing right in front of my eyes. We like salads but really not everyday. There has to be a way to store lettuce to last longer. In the past I have always cleaned and then wrapped it in paper towels. That works pretty well. But I have been experimenting with sealing lettuce and other greens in canning jars. IT WORKS!! This is not my idea. I saw it on one of my garden shows. All you need is lettuce store bought or from the garden. A Food Saver, and the attachments to seal canning jars. 
Of course canning jars and 
hurray reuse your canning lids.

 Tear leaves from stem


 I clean all my veggies in cold water, vinegar, baking soda and 1 drop of clear  Palmolive pure and clear dish soap.


 clean lettuce.


 drain


 rinse thoroughly and drain again.


 put it in a salad spinner to get as much water as possible off the lettuce.



 I then spread it out on paper or T towels. 

 I also pat the lettuce dry. I do reuse the P.Ts.


 Next I fill clean and sterilized mason jars with the lettuce.


 For small mouth jars us 2 lids. The top lid will not seal. For some reason it just works better this way.


 Put the sealer on and connect the hose. Then press the start button.


 When removing the hose, start with the end connected to the jar.  You get a perfect seal.


 My lettuce has been in the fridge 14 days.


 I opened the butter lettuce because it is a fragile green. It is perfectly good and crisp.


 If you don't have a food saver lettuce, celery and other greens will last longer wrapped in foil.


Looking at the photos and instructions seems like it takes a long time. Seriously 20 minutes tops. 
These are the attachments. I swear by these. They are perfect for sealing so many things, especially leftovers. These do not take the place of regular canning.


And OMG good cookies. I make a lot of cookies. Mr. M. loves them at night. I make regular, healthy and made up recipes but I have never made cookies with cornstarch in them. Seriously good cookies.
This is the original recipe but it only make 1 dozen cookies. Of course I double it.
In a bowl mix 1C heaping APF,1/2t baking powder, 1/4t cornstrach, 1/4t salt. Set aside.
In mixing bowl add 1/2C softened butter, 1/2C sugar. Mix until fluffy. Add 1 egg and 2t vanilla extract. Mix until fluffy again. Add flour mixture a little at a time until all is combined. 
Prepare the cooking sheets with parchment or a bit of spray oil then wiped with a paper towel. Spoon dough onto sheets, wet your fingers and press dough down just a bit. At this point you can sprinkle sugar on top, then bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. Then, enjoy!
Be sure to stop by rains to see what she is up to and of course all of the participants in TADD.
Art Date Prompts for 2022
 
Don't forget Friday Face Off here on DVArtist.
Have a great day!
Nicole

 

 

28 comments:

Tom said...

...I hope that the show goes well for you in many ways!

Lowcarb team member said...

Fabulous post Nicole ...
Lovely art, hope 'Art on the yard' goes well.

I like your tips on the lettuce and great pictures to show the stages.
Enjoy the rest of your week.

All the best Jan

Anonymous said...

Hope my earlier comment came through ok, as blogger is still messing with comments!
Lovely post.

All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

Christine said...

Wonderful art and food,good luck with the show!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope the upcoming art sale goes super well for you!

cats and dogs said...

Hello,
Could you please add link for my blog on your blog.
I've added yours on mine.
Thank you
https://pets876.blogspot.com/

kathyinozarks said...

Good luck with your art show Nicole, sounds like you have a large variety too. Never knew this about storing lettuce-what a cool idea. we love cookies too-I need to bake us up some, I did make brownies last weekend

Iris Flavia said...

Storing lettuce is new to me!
Have fun and sell a lot at the art show!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Lettuce in a jar? Who knew? We'll have to give it a try.

Gene Black said...

I agree with David, "Who knew you could put lettuce in a jar?" How long does it last?

Barbara said...

The art on the yard shows sound wonderful! Wishing I could have been there.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing. I learn everyday. Regine
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Rostrose said...

Hello nicole,
I love your introductory drawing - and also your clay figures - I think your art show will be a success. I keep my fingers crossed. The salad preservation method sounds interesting - but I'm just a little irritated: you wash your vegetables with dish soap (and other ingredients)? I've never heard of that and wouldn't want it on my food like that - normal water is quite enough. Your cookies look delicious.
All the best from Austria, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/07/mallorca-reisebericht-teil-2-tag-4-bis.html

Gillena Cox said...

Good luck with your Yard Art project.
Happy Thursday

Much💚love

Carola Bartz said...

I keep my fingers crossed that the weather will be good for your yard art show and wish you much success with it. I used to sell at art shows and fairs, usually with my daughter, and we both enjoyed it. I haven't done so in a few years and I do'n't think I will go back to it. I like the face that you drew, and the cookies sound easy and tasty.

Divers and Sundry said...

Who knew you could store lettuce that way?! Well, you obviously lol, but I've never heard of that.

Linda Kunsman said...

So many fabulous art pieces to showcase- best of luck with sales! I did not know you could preserve lettuce for so long -great idea.

Cloudia said...

Best wishes on your art sale! It's great to be sharing your creativity with all of us. Thank you

Giorgio said...

I have never heard of lettuce in a jar!
Great post, Nicole!

Mae Travels said...

Preserving lettuce that way seems counterintuitive but you show that it does work. It does look useful for gardeners who grow too much to use up. Very interesting!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

My name is Erika. said...

I hope you get to have your art show. It takes so much work to get organized for it, it would be terrible for it not to happen. And I have never seen canned lettuce. It looks interesting. I have never seen that technique either. hugs-Erika

Magaly Guerrero said...

I hope you have a lot of fun (and many sales) at the art show. I've never thought about preserving lettuce--I eat them too quickly--but this looks very interesting. And the cookies look yummy!

Enjoy your weekend!

carol l mckenna said...

How exciting for you ~ an art show ~ sell lots! Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Rain said...

OMG Sis...I learn so much from you about canning...canning LETTUCE...now that's ingenious. I don't have a food saver, but I will try the foil technique IF, big if, my lettuce decides it wants to grow this year!!! Your face is gorgeous btw...and I wish you much luck for your art sale!!! ♥

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Love your Asian lady ... WIP? What more does she need? Such fun, though a lot of work to sell your art pieces ... so many. You are a prolific artist, Nicole and all beautiful and interesting pieces. Hope the weather and your health hold up so all goes well. I assume we will hear more about it when the time comes :) Be well and stay safe ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Fundy Blue said...

You always have such interesting posts, Nicole. I learn something each time. I hope all goes well with your art show. Have a great weekend!

Jeanie said...

Good luck on your sale! It sounds fun. And those cookies look absolutely to die for!

kathyinozarks said...

thanks I pinned this to my preservation board on pinterest hugs