Wednesday, August 31, 2022

TADD with Rain

 Hi Everyone!

Today is TADD with Rain. Her theme today is mazes but I do have the option not to follow the theme. Hurrayy... I'm not. LOL

Today I have lots of food today, but a quick piece of art to show first. I was going through some old art pieces that got started and then....well we all have those pieces. I started this in 2009 and for some reason set it aside. It is a Huichol style beading on a beautiful piece of Japanese fabric. I think this is going to be a project for this winter.

Yes, I will have to iron this LOL
 

 Close up of how it will look.


I had a weekend of canning and cooking. I had so much fun. My energy level is back and I am feeling well, with a few aches and pains, but hey who doesn't? 
First my glory grow. 

I am so happy with this cabbage.
 

 I should have weighed this. But it is huge.



This is a very small amount of squashes and string beans I have harvested this year.


 Getting ready to can.

 


 7 more pints of string beans.


 How darn pretty are these?


I love this little gadget M. Mr. got for me awhile back. Core tomatoes, apples and more.

 I was able to get 10 organic tomatoes at a good price.


I got 4 pints of tomatoes and onions.
 

 What's in this bag?


So many cucumbers from the garden that I didn't have a bowl big enough. Hee hee hee.


 

 It's sweet pickle time.
 

 

 12 pints of goodness.


 Check the video at the end on how to make these. They really are the best ever.


 A cake right out of the oven. I would give you the recipe but I just threw ingredients in a bowl and baked.


 I did make this with some of my canned sweet potatoes.


 Now here is what I did with some of the cabbage. Mix of meat, rice onions and spices.


 Look how big this cabbage leaf is.  Place in simmering water just until it's limp.


 I use an ice cream scoop to measure out the meat mixture. These leaves got 2 scoops.


 Fold over one end.


Then the other end.
 

 Then overlap the sides. Ya know like a burrito.


In a baking dish place in some chopped up cabbage.
 

 Place the cabbage rolls seem side down. Add some water and bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes or until the meat is cooked through.


 We don't like tomato sauce on our cabbage rolls. I make a brown gravy instead. Ohhh so good.


Always make enough to freeze.
 

I soaked mixed beans in my 2 largest bowls for 24 hours. Then cooked them for 30 minutes.


 90 minutes in the pressure caner and I have more 7 quarts of beans.



I had some beans left over so they went back into the pot to cook. Then I added some of my caned pork, some rice noodles, and made some corn bread. Yuummm...

 I also canned 4 more quarts of beef stew. Mr. M is going to have to make me another shelf.



Now if you want to water bath can the best sweet pickles follow this recipe.

That's it for now. Be sure to stop by Rain's to see what everyone is doing.

Nicole
 

21 comments:

Tom said...

...yummy to say the least. The beading is a"maze"ing!

My name is Erika. said...

That stuffed cabbage looks delicious Nicole. I haven't had that in ages. I'm finally starting to get some produce from my garden, and it's a nice feeling to harvest, isn't it? That beading project looks wonderful. Happy September- or it's just about there if you read this soon. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Lovely art and your food looks wonderful!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Everything looks delicious! Even the beading, LOL!

Elderberry-Rob said...

beading looks like something that requires a lot of patience but how beautiful what you have made so far is - I hope you have time to finish it this Winter. You have been so busy - envious of all your preserves.

Valerie-Jael said...

How on earth do you manage to get so much done? Wow, love all the lovely food and canned veggies etc. Have a happyy day, hugs, Valerie

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Both you art and your food are impressive, Nicole. I haven't had stuffed cabbage in ages, and have never made it. Our local Polish deli sells amazing cabbage rolls for $2.50 each and sometimes I buy them there.

Gene Black said...

Tom used my comment about the beading. Ha ha.

I am a-MAZEd that you are so productive. I made 3 jars of sweet pickles using a sugar substitute since I sugar causes me problems. Then I used the leftover liquid in one jar to pickle some onions. (leftover after I ate the pickles) I just reheated the liquid and poured it over the onions. I let them cool then straight to the fridge. They are delicious.

Gillena Cox said...

The cake looks yummy. Have a nice Thursday Nicole.

Much💖love

Cloudia said...

Every so-called unfinished piece is a stepping stone with value of its own. Thank you for sharing!

dmZapp said...

I “nuke” my cabbage after a minor coring, same components inside, same “burrito” wrap method, but then I use my Instantpot for cooking them. And no tomato in mine either, we eat them “bare” with a side of horseradish. Anyway, good going on your garden produce. I’m proud of your gardening AND happy for the return of your energy and feeling better. Our heat wave stunted my garden but it is coming back, but will it beat the snow? Maybe,

Iris Flavia said...

Two years ago, or maybe three - I would´ve thought "what a pain". Now I love cooking, baking and all that!!!
You know what you have and it´s all so yummy! And looks so good!

baili said...

Wow your food is incredibly healthy appealing and mouth watering dear Nicole :)

Loved each but most favorite is stuffed cabage. Thank you so much for sharing.

I am impressed by your canning food though here we are unable to eat frozen foods due to severe stomach issues we have been through in past.

This is always fun joy and lots of learning to join you my wonderful talented friend.
Blessings and hugs

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Oh my Goodness, Nicole, you are back ... feeling well and full of energy. I was tired after reading your post. Your garden success is amazing and that you could can everything in a day makes me weary. I love the video on the pickles ... the spices in there are a little overwhelming, but I am guessing delicious. Your cabbage rolls look yum too ... so what spices do you add to the meat rice and onions? I could make those and I know my FH would enjoy them too.
As for your art piece ... magnificent!!! and I would like to know about Huichol style beading, if you have time some time in the future. So glad you are feeling energetic and well again :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

Debra said...

Love the art! Look forward to seeing it finished. Your food is amazing....

Lowcarb team member said...

Goodness, you have been busy :)

I do like the beading and your food looks so good.

All the best Jan

Carola Bartz said...

I wonder how big your garden is that you get so much out of it. It is simply amazing. Your energy must be fully big judging from the amount you are canning. For me this is totally fascinating and I am in awe. The bead art looks beautiful, but looks like a lot of work.

carol l mckenna said...

Such dynamic beaded work and Wow! lots of healthy canning ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~

A ShutterBug Explores,
ala (A Creative Harbor)

Mae Travels said...

That sounds pretty close to the way my mother made stuffed cabbage or stuffed green peppers. I always loved the way it tasted. She did use tomato sauce,though. Thanks for reminding me!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

NatureFootstep said...

Hi Nicole, Loved to see your unfinished beading. I really hopeyou will work on it the coming winter, It will be a great piece of art. :)

Divers and Sundry said...

I love those trees!

I'm glad you're feeling better. You've gotten so much canning done! The cake looks tasty, as do the cabbage rolls. I'm much lazier in the kitchen than you are ;)