Friday, August 26, 2022

Friday Face OFF 8/26/22

 Greetings!

An updated note;
FFO goes live Fridays at 12:00 AM Pacific time in the US.

Welcome to Friday Face OFF! I am kind of excited because I am feeling a lot better, not perfect, but well enough to take on 2 drawing commissions, started a painting, and still create my daily drawings. Hurrraayyy....

First is here my entry for this week. I am finding that drawing the male face is giving me a few problems but I will work it out and get better at it.


I thought for this painting I would show the WIP and how I paint a face. Everyone has their own style and process. This is just one of mine.
I started like this.

I draw in the face and then paint the background. The background will change as I go.
 

 Most of you know I have no rhyme or reason how I create. It just felt right to put in some hair first. Highlights will come later.


 As I mentioned the background will change as did the hair. Using white and burnt umber I block in shadows and outline features. 


 This will change too. LOL


 When the above dried I did a light wash of burnt sienna and cad yellow. 


 This will tone down the skin tone colors I will use.


Let's see how far I get with this over the next week. 
The serious tedious painting starts.

Now for some faces in my home.

 I made this doll so long ago I don't remember when. She sits on my dresser.


 These two faces I got in Mexico. The are quite heavy.


 On another trip to Mexico I got this. It is made from wood.


 I could never find out the story or meaning to this.


 Another face that I have had for so long I don't remember where or when I got it. Oh and you can see my clay sculpt creature too. LOL


 This is a wooden, very shallow box carved and then painted. 



That's it for my faces today, now it's your turn. Show me your face! 
 I invite anyone to join in that features a face of any kind, in any medium on their blog. Simple rules; link back to my FFO on your blog, link up with Mr. Linksy, leave me and the other participants a comment. You really want to see what everyone else has contributed.
Thank you! 

Time for this weeks featured Friday Face OFF artist.
Aaannnndddd it is 
He had lots of faces but I couldn't pass up the cow. 

I am also linking up with Gillena 

Have a great weekend
Nicole 

30 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Lots of nice faces. I always start pantings with the nose and eyes!

sirkkis said...

Hello Nicole!
Your WIP man is handsome and expressive. From the high high lighted I like most the second one. All are great!! Thanks for the tutorials and other wonderful various style of art.
Be well and enjoy the weekend ahead xx

Mae Travels said...

The two heavy faces from Mexico are intriguing -- they look more African than Mexican. Interesting other faces too.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tom said...

...Nicole, I'm glad that you enjoyed the cow, your Mexican faces have such a wonderful folk artsy look. Thanks for hosting, enjoy your day.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Hooray for feeling better, Nicole! I am sure that you are happy to get back to work!

Iris Flavia said...

Hurrraayyy on health!!!!
And thank you for showing your way - reckon you´re my Jamie Oliver of art :-)
Great Mexican faces, too.
And another cow! I´ll join with that - to a great weekend!

Gillena Cox said...

Looking forward to your finished faces next week. That's an amazing cow face from
Tom
Happy Friday Nicole

Much💖love

My name is Erika. said...

The good news is that you are feeling much better. And nice face. I create very randomly also, but I love doing detail work. Funny in a good way how we are all different when we create. Loving the faces in your home. They are really interesting. Have a great FRiday and start to your weekend Nicole. hugs-Erika

Christine said...

Wonderful faces

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How nice to see how you start a face. Step out photos are always nice. I like the male you gave us this week. And I was delighted to read you have received two commissions. That may be just the push you needed to get back in the swing of creating new pieces.

I wish I knew what time you schedule your FFO posts. I finally gave up and watched TV until I fell asleep. There didn't seem to be a set time after I looked at when you posted in the past. I should have kept checking because now I am late again to the party.

My two links are NOT TYPOS. Had you visited Thursday, you would have seen the mannequin I used as a FFO. Then there is today's offering. Two posts for FFO this week, but none next week, since I'm hosting Second on the 2nd that day. Thanks for hosting this event each week, Nicole.

Empire of the Cat said...

Hi Nicole, liked seeing the step by step. Can't wait to see it after the "tedious" painting lol. My male faces always seem to look a bit too female lol. I'm linking up with yesterday's post, hope that's alright. Happy Friday Elle/EOTC xx

Fundy Blue said...

I'm glad that you are feeling better, Nicole! Thanks for sharing the beautiful face you are working on. I enjoyed seeing the faces around your home. The Mexican one is fascinating. It makes me think of totem poles that the NW Indigenous people carve. I posted a face on my blog today. A tiny baby step! Have a great weekend, and I hope you feel better and better!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lots of interesting faces this week!

LA Paylor said...

I find drawing men's faces harder. Makes me really look at people to see why one looks like a man or a woman. LeeAnna

Kim Costello said...

Great to find you, wonderful faces to admire and inspire ♥

Cloudia said...

Wonderful faces come out of your creativity. Thank you for sharing with us all and for hosting this fun meme

craftytrog said...

Wonderful faces as always Nicole. Thanks for sharing your process.
Alison

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde de sexta-feira minha querida amiga Nicole, aproveito para desejar um bom final de semana.

Giorgio said...


Great to hear your are feeling better and love the expression of your faces, Nicole!
Have a nice weekend!

Gillena Cox said...

Happy you dropped by my blog and linked up today. The photo you want to draw; YES you can download it.

much💖love

Carola Bartz said...

I like the male face and can relate to having some difficulties with it. I have big difficulties drawing or painting male faces. It was very interesting to see your progress and how you approach your painting.
I don't have a face today, but I hope to join in again next week. I'm glad that you are feeling so much better and hope that it will go on like this. Have a lovely weekend, Nicole.

Jennifer Rose said...

you are getting better with male portraits :)

Ahmed said...

Thank you so much for updating about your health particularly dear Nicole. Tremendous joy and peace I felt with this news!
May each day ahead bring you treasures of health peace and happiness my friend!

Your male face is intriguing and fantastic.

With all your spontaneous attempts you create art that has power to touch soul and dwell in the heart forever :)

Best wishes for next face. It is looking fascinating already.

Loved all your old faces. Appealing and stunning as always.
Blessings

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful process of creating portraits and what a portrait! Wow! Xo


x]Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days ~ Xo

A ShutterBug Explores ~
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde e um ótimo sábado com muita paz e saúde minha querida amiga Nicole.

Jeanie said...

It's fun to watch the progress of your painting. And your masks and faces at home intrigue me. Very beautiful.

NatureFootstep said...

It will be interesting to see hor your male will turn out when finished :)

ashok said...

Wonderful sketch wip Nicole

sirkkis said...

Hello Nicole!
I hope your week is starting well. I made another deer painting, and linked here.
Have a nice day xx

Lowcarb team member said...

So pleased you are feeling a little better :)
I enjoyed your faces.

All the best Jan