Wednesday, July 20, 2022

TADD with Rain

 Hi Everyone!
Welcome to TADD with Rain. Her theme this weeks is, a poem. You have the option of following that or not. I have one thing I can contribute to the theme.
Eons ago hee hee hee. I used to make spiritual cards and sell them. They had my drawings and beadwork on the front and a poem inside. I had 3 different cards but this is the only one I could find. Each beaded piece was different.


 

 



 

 Where there is truth, there is joy
Where there is joy, there is hope
Where there is hope, there is light
Where there is light, there is revelation
Where there is revelation, 
there is understanding
Where there is understanding
there is NO fear, 
Where there is NO fear, there is love
Where there is love
There is truth


 
Do you store potatoes long term?
Do you have a root cellar?
I don't so potatoes from the garden have to be stored inside the house. I have 2 different ways to accomplish this. For delicate potatoes like golds and reds I store in boxes. Hardy skinned potatoes I store in mesh bags that hang in a dark container. Today I will show you the golds and reds.

 


 



 

 


 


 


 


Before storing potatoes brush off any excess dirt. Do NOT wash them. Check for any damaged or holes in the potatoes. Do not store those. Start with a good solid box. Drill air holes for circulation. Take shredded paper and layer the bottom. Place potatoes so they are not touching each other. Another layer of shred with another layer of potatoes. Fill the box seal and date. Store in a cool dark place. I have had potatoes last 10 months. Probably longer but we ate them

 
Most of you know I make my own Ghee. I have had a few questions about it. What is Ghee? It's butter that is simmered to remove any water and caramelized milk solids. What is left is the ghee. A clarified butter with a higher fat content.  Ghee can be used anywhere that you use better, except baking. Ghee has a higher smoke point about 465°F where butter is 350°F. Ghee has a rich, clean taste, like a more buttery butter with an earthy nutty taste. That is the best I can explain it. I really like it on toast and if any of you eat your sweet rolls hot try some ghee on them. Also pancakes and waffles. I use ghee on all of my veggies and I cook with it most of the time. Here is the you tub I learned to make it from.
 
I have made some simple but really good meals this week, except I forgot to take photos. Here are a few that I remembered.

 Zucchini from my garden


 Yes cooked in Ghee with salt, pepper and dill.


 Another thing about Ghee is I don't use as much compared to butter or oil.



 Homegrown potatoes went into the pan of Ghee.


 Pared with peppered sausage, home canned corn and those amazing potatoes. Mr. M. likes toast with this.


 I made some simple stroganoff with the zucchini and some garlic bread.

 I had a huge bag of carrots in the fridg along with a 2 containers of squash. So lets bake some breads.

 Carrot, squash and a mix of both in the cake pan.


 I can't tell you how moist and good this is. You can tell this is the cake with the mixture of carrot and squash.



I will leave you with these pretty roses.
 
Enjoy your day and be sure to visit Rain and all the other participants. 
 

Nicole

23 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good evening Nicole, I really loved your art with the bead work and the poem. and your food always looks so good. My farmgirl grandma had wooded boxes that she would fill with potatoes and stack the boxes to the ceiling in her basement. thanks for the tips on how you store yours. I remember years ago we always wanted a root cellar but never got one made-always something else going on. I didn't realize ghee has a higher smoke point. I usually have a jar around to use. I have been thinking of baking a pumpkin bread hugs from the lake

Tom said...

...that's an interesting way to store potatoes.

Christine said...

Lovely beadwork. I didn't know you could store potatoes for such a long time.

Christine said...

Lovely beadwork. I didn't know you could store potatoes for such a long time.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What gorgeous artwork, beadwork and poem!

Angie's Recipes said...

Ghee is one of my favourite fat sources. The quick bread looks soft and very moist. I really love that beaded piece...truly a work of art.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Ghee, a staple in south Asian cooking for centuries has now become commonly used everywhere. I noticed it in Costco recently.

Gene Black said...

I have been making my own ghee for the last few months. It is so much less expensive to make it yourself. O will be watching that video to see if I find any helpful tips. Thanks.

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful work - and all the food (to be) you have!
I cannot store much here, we have but 80m²...

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I enjoyed seeing how you store your potatoes. I buy mine, but I think it would work for those, too.

When the woman said vacuum packed, I thought she meant using a pressure cooker. Imagine my surprise when I saw how she made hers. I am going to make a batch of this the next time I buy in bulk at Sam's.

Your potatoes, zucchini, and bread all sound so good together. Love the look of the cake and bread, too.

Have super TADD, Nicole.

Divers and Sundry said...

I've never used ghee. Your zucchini and breads look tasty. I store potatoes in bags in the pantry. I never have many at a time on hand.

Carola Bartz said...

The card is very beautiful, I think that a lot of work went in there. The poem is beautiful as well. I neither grow nor store potatoes - we don't really have any spot that I would classify as "cool" except in the winter. So I buy potatoes when I know I will use them for a meal. A root cellar would be nice though... Trader Joe's sells ghee, so I once tried it. Since I found that I still prefered EVOO most of the time, the opened jar of ghee was kept forever and I threw it out in the end since I wasn't sure whether it was still good to use. Maybe I should try it again?

Debra said...

Your beading is lovely. I so admire that art form. I will use your idea to store potatoes since I don't have any other way to store them. You have such a lot of produce!

Cloudia said...

How interesting

Cloudia said...

see your face tomorrow

Gillena Cox said...

Luv the poem you chose to share. Indeed where there is live there is truth.
I luv potatoes but i buy them. I am one of those people who do not have a green thumb.
The flowers i plant any one can grow them☺
Happy Thursday

Much💚love

My name is Erika. said...

I do like your spiritual card and the beading that goes with it. It's beautiful. And that is really interesting about storing potatoes. I've never grown them, but I am tempted to do so after seeing everyone else doing that. And I should try making some ghee too. Thanks for sharing Nicole. Hugs-Erika

NatureFootstep said...

hi Nicole, I love the beautiful feather with the drawn eagle (?) head. It is a lovely card.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I love your Spiritual Card and the Poem that brings us back to truth is the best and it is the truth :) I use Ghee all of the time. I buy mine at Trader Joe's and I agree it is wonderful on toast or sweet rolls. I use it because it is salt free and I have blood pressure issues. The diet is an important part of controlling it :) Love your carrot and squash bread ... it looks moist and delicious in the picture . I am eating fresh and I sauté my veggies in ghee as well. It gives them a wonderful taste. I use lemon pepper in place of salt to perk things up. Fun time and you made me hungry so I might just have to go fix something to eat :P Stay cool, Nicole ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

Jeanie said...

Your cards are really beautiful. And thanks for the potato info. We usually go through them fast enough that they don't need to be stored long but it's good to know how!

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely beadwork and quote ~

Trying to see the good in each moment, Xo

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Rain said...

Sis, that is a wonderful poem, I LOVE it!! And your beadwork! So pretty! Let's talk taters...no I don't have a root cellar and I'm freaking out about how I will store my potatoes this winter since I have about 100 plants that are flourishing! I love that your method keeps them for 10 months! How cool are we talking about btw? Your meals look delicious! And those quick breads!!! I love how moist they look! I need to bake some!

baili said...

Oh dear Nichole you are such an amazing person: ) you remind me my mom who would spending her time in preserving home grown stuff or cook special dishes for agging and health .
I liked learning how you store potatoes. Your food made my mouth water lol.
Thank you for for ghee explanation. Yes i grew up watching my grandmother and mother making ghee out of butter. No cooking oil was used then in cooking. It was tasty ineed .
Lots of love to you friend and yes your poetry aboyt connection between love and truth worth an award !