Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Food Wednesday

 Hi Everyone!
Its mid week and that means 
I have been busy with the garden and not doing much cooking. Last Saturday, while it was storming I did can 7 pints of chicken breast. It could not be easier to can meats. I cut up the chicken in 1" pieces the night before. Make sure everything is clean and sterilized. Ya know, chicken. LOL The next day
get your canning supplies ready to go. Make sure your jars and lids are clean and sterile. I use pint jars. That's enough for Mr. M. and I to make a meal. Pack the meat into the jar and tamp it down. You want 1" head space. But I have filled my jars with a 1/4" head space and it was fine. The meat shrinks quite a bit.  Once the jars are filled add any seasonings. I don't add anything, I do that when I make a meal. Take a paper towel and dampen it with vinegar, then clean the rim and side rim of the jars. This will get rid of any fat or debris from the jar to make a good seal. Place on the lids and finger tighten the ring. Set the pints into your caner, let it steam for 10 minutes and then put on the regulator. I live at sea level so my PSI is 10. Be sure to check your elevation to know what PSI you should use. Keep it at this pressure for 75 minutes. If you use quart jars it's 95 minutes. That's it.
The other day I got a great buy on butter, so I bough extra to make some Ghee.
This is easy too, and really fun.


 4 lbs of butter to melt

 The first stage of small foam

 The foam builds

 Then starts to separate and move to the edge of the pan.

 This is getting towards the end of the process.

 When it is done pour the butter into hot canning jars, wipe the rims, place on the lids and ban and wait for the pop.


Seriously how pretty are these? 
 
 And last but not least, last night I had chicken salad for dinner. I cut up some lemon balm and mint from the garden then put it into a pan with melted butter. I cut some chicken breast, seasoned it and added it to the pan. Once it was cooked I added it to a salad. Yes, I had some radishes from the garden.
Well that's it for now. I hope you enjoy your day.

Nicole

16 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your hands are never idle, Nicole.

Tom said...

...yummy salad.

Iris Flavia said...

Interesting method for the meat. And your food looks very yummy! Much better than the boring bread I just had, LOL. Have a nice day.

My name is Erika. said...

I've never made ghee before. I like how you canned it. And gave us instructions. For some reason I though ghee was seasoned butter, but now I know it's not. Thank you. Happy June Nicole. Hugs-Erika

Gene Black said...

I have made ghee one time. It was easy and very handy to have that jar sitting by the stovetop to use. I need to do it again as I am out of ghee.
I don't have a pressure canner so I have never canned meat.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Mmmmm, your chicken salad looks deelish!

Valerie-Jael said...

Your food always looks wonderful! Valerie

jinxxxygirl said...

Aaahhh Nicole you are always so busy! :) I have never had ghee.. not sure what it is exactly.. But we stay away from butter.. I have never canned anything in my life.. well i lie.. Hubs and i made jelly a couple years from our plum tree years ago.. so that the only brush i have with canning.. It was fun.. I enjoyed passing them out to friends and family.. Happy Food Wednedsay! Hugs! deb

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, awesome tutorials. When we hunted I would can up turkey stock with the meat That was really delicious. home canned meats taste sooo much better. Hoping this year we can swap out this electric stove for a gas one so I can do some canning again.
I like ghee once in awhile so have a jar around but never thought to make it-thanks for how to do that and your salad looks delicious-even better with garden veggies.
thank you so much for sharing with us for Food Wednesdays

Lisca said...

I have never canned but I have made jams.
I do live at 3000 feet so I would have to calculate. Do you put the jars in a pressure cooker? I don't know what a regulator is.
Also I see that there is some liquid in the jars. You didn't mention adding anything....
I'd like to learn more. When you do any canning next time, can you photograph your equipment please?
It was also interesting to learn about the ghee. Thanks.
Happy June,
Lisca

carol l mckenna said...

Oh you make it sound so easy ~ what a delight for you both ~ Xo

Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Christine said...

Yummy chicken salad!

Rain said...

Yum to your salad! Good for you for canning chicken. I've never canned Ghee, how long does it last in the jars?

DVArtist said...

Rain, home canned or even store canned will last 15 to 20 years unopened. Once opened about 12 months.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your salad looks good. I have canning equipment, but t is a huge pan that holds the metal thingies (technical term) that hold the jars in place. I have never used a container with a regulator. Not even sure what it is. Your ghee looks wonderful. I may try that one of these days, because I buy 4 lbs of butter at a time when I visit Sam's.

Jeanie said...

I NEVER thought to put my mint into my chicken salad. That would really amp it up and be so refreshing! What a wonderful idea!