Friday, January 28, 2022

Life now and then

 Hi Everyone!

This is for anyone who wants to grow onions inside or out and to let Elizabeth from Altered Book Lover how to finish off the planting. I didn't have photo yesterday. With a good potting soil and a hand full of nitrogen the onions should do well. If you don't have bone meal or other commercial types of nitrogen, then mix the soil with coffee grounds.
 

 This soil is excellent but use what you have. If you are using old soil make sure it's fortified with other nutrients.

 


 If you are not planting into he ground use a container that is at least 10 inches deep. Make sure there is good drainage. Add some drainage rocks too.


 Add the soil a 1/3 at a time moistening it as you go.


 When the pot is full add a hand full of bone meal or coffee grounds and mix.


 Most of the time when you root an onion from and onion there are 2 or 3 greenery shoots. To get more onions by gently cutting the onion around separate shoots.


 Then plan them into the container. I left room for one more onion. Simply place this in a window that gets good sunlight. Use the green part of the onion when they get a bit bigger than this.


Some fun photos taken at the resort we managed.
I had forgotten how thick my hair was.
My black dog, Crookie, was my constant companion
I was then, a crack shot with my bow and arrows. We had many a good meal with my hunting skills.

OK, that's it for now. 
Just a reminder Feb. 1 starts 29 Faces.
Have a great day.

Nicole

23 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

I admire your hunting skills :) My daddy hunted with a bow and arrow.

Mae Travels said...

Your life outdoors looks quite intriguing. Seeing resort visitors must have been a pretty drastic change. Was that a long time ago?

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

DVArtist said...

Mae, I was in my 30's I will be 70 in a few months.

carol l mckenna said...

Love your doggie and archery ~ Wow! Xo

Wishing you lots of laughter in your day,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

craftytrog said...

Great photos Nicole!
We grew some salad onions last year, they were very good.
Hope you have a good weekend.
Alison

Tom said...

`..I'm just a crackpot.

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde Nicole. Já colhi muitos tipos de pimenta e orégano. Bom final de semana com muita saúde e paz.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

An Amazon huntress! *swoon*

Giorgio said...

Coffee grounds mixed with the soil seems a good idea. I'll give it a try!

Christine said...

Is there anything you can't do?

DVArtist said...

Christine, yes there is so much I can't do. However, what I can do, I have fun with.

Magaly Guerrero said...

I grow garlic greens on my window in winter, but I have never tried onion. I shall give it a go. Thanks for sharing!

Leigh said...

I love this idea. Thank you for the tutorial! I'm definitely going to try it.

My name is Erika. said...

Those are great photos of you and your dog. I love your expression in the first one. Happy weekend Nicole.

Rita said...

My dad hunted with a bow, too. Takes skill and patience.
I think your onions will really take off! :)

Pooja Mahimkar said...

Oh I am going to try growing them now, thanks for shaing

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This makes me wish I had more room to grow veg both inside and out, fascinating how you cut around the rooted onion then plant it. I hope you get a real good harvest this year Nicole. Lovely look back on old photo's how happy you are outdoors with your trusty companion. Thank you for the info and shares.
Hugs Tracey xx

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, you really could hunt with that? Respect!
I broke my arm and could never try, Ingo had such a set, too, not a chance for me...
Plus here... all you can kill is points.
I once tried a real revolver - I shot in the ceiling. Boy, I sure would starve...

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for sharing the lovely photographs of you and your dog.
Have a good weekend.

All the best Jan

Serena Lewis said...

Great advice on the onion planting, Nicole. I never thought of adding coffee grounds. Thanks.

Nice dog!

Gillena Cox said...

Oh yes February. Time to improve my face sketching. Happy Sunday Nicole

Much love...

Jennifer Rose said...

always wanted to learn how to use a bow and arrow, prob end up shooting into my foot tho lol

Debra said...

Wow-such cool photos! I am impressed with your skills-so many! I have looked at your posts with the faces too-each one is good. You energy always inspires me. Take good care. Oh P.S.- love the quotes about kindness. It really does seem like that's antiquated here in the US. Very sad.