Thursday, December 9, 2021

TAD Christmas Past

Hi Everyone!
 
This week has gotten away from me. I didn't realize it was Thursday until a few minutes ago. That means it's TAD with Rain. This week her theme is, "Christmas Past".
My folks always made Christmas pretty nice. It was the 1950's and there was 6 of us kids. For some reason though as far back as I can remember I knew there was no Santa. One year, I was about 8 years old. I wanted a horse more than anything in the world. We lived in the country so we had the space for one. My grandparents came to our house that year and brought 2 big wooden crates. There was hay sticking out of the slats and I knew in my heart of hearts that I was going to open the top to find a crate full of hay to take out back to my horse. I just knew it! The next morning 6 kids are taring through gift wrapping paper and shrieks of happiness and laughter filled the house. Grandpa helped me open my crate. I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. I still remember the creaking sound of the nails coming out of the boards. Finally the top came off. I plunged my hands into the hay and hit something hard. At the same time my sister was opening her create. She squealed and laughed and twirled around with joy. I was confused, what was in this box. Certainly not the same gift my (girly) sister got. I moved the hay, (which in reality was cellulose)  to find a huge baby doll. WTH? Who got me this? I don't play with dolls! My heart broke. Big tears rolled down my cheeks. My dad came over to see what was wrong. I looked at him and asked where my horse was. I remember the adults laughing at me. My mom did her very best to show me how nice the doll was and big enough to wear my baby brother's PJs. I remember sitting on the couch with the doll in my arms thinking how terrible it was. I did give the doll to my sister who was thrilled. I was never a girly girl and dolls didn't fit into my tree climbing, tomboy life. 
This isn't me, but it should have been.
P.S. Even at my age I would love to make a home for a horse.
Be sure to stop by Rain's to see what the TAD gang have come up with. While there click on Rain's YT channels. She is amazing on camera.
Have a great day today.

 

27 comments:

baili said...

oh this is absolutely beautiful and heartwarming story dear Nichole !

thank you so much for sharing it with us .

this is nice to learn that we were alike as little girls i mean little tomboys :)
yes i was not a doll girl either and tree climbing was essential part of my day.
oh i wish you could have a horse ,such an innocent wish of tiny cute heart :)
hugs and blessings!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hear ya, sister. My parents gave me a big effin' baby doll when I was a pre-schooler too. The damn thing came with a Christening gown, a bassinette and a stroller. I never ever played with it. They gave it away eventually to one of my girly-girl cousins.

Christine said...

Poor Nicole, I enjoyed reading your memory!

Tom said...

...what a Christmas story!

craftytrog said...

My heart just broke reading that Nicole.

ashok said...

That's an adorable story Nicole.. :)

Divers and Sundry said...

What a sad tale :( I liked dolls, but they were never my favorite gift.

Giorgio said...

Thnaks for sharing that story of the particular dream you had when you were a child.

Actually, I can't understant how can a week pass so quickly. Enjoy the rest of this week, Nicole :-)

Jennifer Rose said...

i played with barbies as a kid, but also would climb trees and rough house with the boys. i wasnt a girly girl when it came to most toys, other than stuffed animals lol
would have loved a horse but way out of the budget lol

My name is Erika. said...

I guess it was the time for girls to get dolls. It is so much better now, isn't it? At least if a child wants dolls, they can get one-hopefully. Sorry you never got your horse. Hope the week is going well though.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

It's quite sad that you have never been able to get your horse, even later in life. I hope you at least took some riding lessons along the way or got to hang around stables somewhere.

Gillena Cox said...

Thanks fof sharing your Christmas past Nicole.
Happy Thursday

Much💜love

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How sad, Nicole. Like you, I never liked or played with dolls, but all I wanted was a boy's bike, not a girly one with pink streamers. I got it, too, because my grandfather wanted a boy when I was born and I was the apple of his eye. No girly stuff for me. Sadly, your parents didn't understand you and your wishes, or that sad story would have had a much happier ending. Sorry I'm so late visiting. Still can't sit for very long at a time.

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, how mean to laugh at you!
I had two dolls. I looked at them once or twice, that was it. Boring.
Maybe I should´ve played cause 30 years later I had no practice to dress my Niece. Or put shoes on her. Now everybody laughed at me!
But my parents got it and I was allowed to visit the next village and learn to ride ponies and horses!
Now the only horses I see are police horses. Very disciplined animals.

Barbara said...

Awwwww, I never wanted a horse, but I felt your feelings anyhow.

Granny Annie said...

We did not have horses but our neighbor did. That picture reminds me of my granddaughter stealing my apples and taking them out to the neighbor's horses. She could stand like that with them all day.

carol l mckenna said...

Glad you shared your Xmas story ~ Santa was a myth that never should have happened ~ too many disappointments ~ you were not alone ~ Yet most of life is a myth of the world's making ~ Sweet photo Xo

Happy Weekend to you,

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A creative Harbor)

Lisca said...

That is such a sad story! Did you ever get your horse? Or a horse at all?
Perhaps they wanted you to be more like a girl. In those days genders were very much defined and if you did boy things, that would have to be corrected (in the 1950) and perhaps that is why they gave you the doll. But it is heartbreaking none the less.
Thanks for your comment on mine. Pork meat is cheap here. I paid 5,45 Euros for a kilo of pork. A nice piece. Beef is more expensive, as is lamb. I don't know why lamb should be so expensive (and hard to find) as there are many herds around here.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Cathy Kennedy said...

Ahhh, I know your little heart was crushed to not get that pony! I guess all kids, excluding myself I was too afraid of horses, had dreams of such things at one point. I hope you can look back at the innocences and wonder of it all so that Christmases past fill your heart with the same magic of yesterday. Thanks for sharing such a sweet story!

Dixie @ Arranged Words said...

Horse are beautiful! I have always been a little afraid of them, but I appreciate their majesty and I certainly understand why you wanted one.
Thank you for sharing your Christmas story.

Vicky Cahyagi said...

Great article and memorable. I followed your blog now. Thx

NatureFootstep said...

I really understand your dissappointment. I prefere horses from dolls any day. Still! That x-mas must have been a nightmare. :(

Hot guys said...

Missed visiting your blog, Nicole! 😉 Interesting to read about you, btw. Gotta agree with you about horses as well. 🤎

Hazel said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog again Nicole. It's so appreciated and today I've had the chance to catch up with your posts. I was also one of six siblings, although there should have been eight as the first born died at 11 months and the eighth, after me, was still born. We would have been 4 boys and 4 girls but ended up as three of each. I had wonderful siblings, they are all gone now but I have wonderful memories - plus my nephew and nieces. We didn't have much money and I couldn't ever imagine anything like getting a horse as a present but did get small gifts that meant the world to me. Your spirit dolls are beautiful, good luck with your sales. Hazel x

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa tarde minha querida amiga Nicole. Obrigado por dividir essa história conosco. Bom final de semana.

Lowcarb team member said...

Thank you for taking time to share this story ...
My good wishes.

All the best Jan

Rain said...

I was a tomboy too, dolls never floated my boat! Sad memory though...and I too would love one day to have a horse or two...I'm still hoping! :)