Monday, June 8, 2020

T stands for Critter Repellent.

Hi Everyone,
I am joining in with Bluebeard and Elizabeth for T stands for Tuesday party link. Mine is T stands for Peppermint tea and repellent. Living on the coast we have a HUGE rat problem. Ohh and not just one kind of rat. There are river rats that are as big as a small child, there are tree rats, rats that have come in from other countries and well you get the idea. So for my garden I wanted an organic critter repellent that really would work. I found one. 
Here is what I do. First I make myself a cup of peppermint tea to drink.


While I am sipping on that I boil two tea bags, then allow that to steep. When it is cool enough, I make the repellent.


Take just over 2 cups of tea water and pour into a bowl. Then add 2 heaping teaspoons each of chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder. Stir it up until it is all dissolved. Then add 1 teaspoon of Neem Oil, or if you don't have that any type of veggie oil will do. Stir this all together, then allow it to stand 3 or 4 hours. The longer you can let is stand the better. When you are ready take a mesh strainer and pour the liquid through to catch all of the granules. Do this several times. Pour the liquid into a spray bottle and spray any area that you want to keep the critters away. I have not seen any rat droppings and the raccoons and opossums are staying away as well. Ohhh and the darn cats are staying away. ( No the cats do not take care of the rats) Apply in the evening. You can spray the leaves of your plants but this repellent will also keep the good things away too. I have a container garden so I spray all of the containers and the grounds around them. I swear by this stuff. Let me know if you try it.

Nicole/DVArtist
Honor and integrity in art, in life.

20 comments:

Lowcarb team member said...

As well as enjoying a cup of peppermint tea, you've found something that will help with your unwelcome visitors!

All the best Jan

My name is Erika. said...

Peppermint tea is nice to drink, but I didn't know you could make rat repellent with it. Sorry you have so many rats in your area. They sound scary. Happy T day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a great way to use your left over peppermint tea. I don't have rats, but I sure like that you have found a way to rid them responsibly. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us for T this almost Tuesday. I was really impressed with your innovative use of tea this week.

Valerie-Jael said...

Enjo your tea, sorry about the rats, that's not so nice. Happy T Day, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

That surely does not sound funny with the rats! Good thing you found a solution!
Happy repellent T-day!

Anne (cornucopia) said...

I love peppermint tea. And thanks for sharing that natural repellent recipe. Happy T-Day!

J said...

Well done finding a rat repellent, they are horrible, we had them once years ago in our underbuild, we had to put poison down in the end, we did warn all the cat owners what we were doing , makes me laugh that there's lots of cats around here but they aren't good rat catchers.
Happy T Day, Jan x

Linda Kunsman said...

Oh I would not like having such rats around:(:( I have used a peppermint oil spray as a repellent but not with the other ingredients you mentioned here. Happy T day!

kathyinozarks said...

Thanks so much for this recipe-I would not like all those rats nearby-ugh. I have also heard that peppermint tea helps keep ants away too-a friend was doing that.
thanks again and Happy T Kathy

Meggymay said...

It was interesting to read about your own made rat repellent, a good solution to the chemical varieties that can be bought and better for the earth.
Happy T day.
Yvonne xx

Divers and Sundry said...

Rats are everywhere! Roof rats is what we get here. I'll have to keep your recipe in mind. Happy T Tuesday :)

Lisca said...

Wow, that sounds like a very good idea. I have a container garden/patio but luckily we have no rats here. A few fieldmice perhaps, but our climate is too hot and dry(rats like water). But thank you for suggesting it. I'm sure some people could use an effective repellent.
Wishing you a happy T-Day,
Lisca

DVArtsit said...

Thanks everyone I appreciate all of your comments.

Eileen Bergen said...

We read that peppermint essential oil would deter squirrels and rats. But it didn't help at all. The addition of chile powder, garlic and onion powder sound like a good idea. Do you spray evey evening or does it last a while?

Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen xx

Karen said...

Peppermint tea is my favorite too. I agree, Rats are nasty ~ I hope your recipe works! Blessings on your week

Let's Art Journal said...

I always enjoy a cup of peppermint tea - wonderful 😀. Happy T Day and wishing you well! Hugs, Jo x

CJ Kennedy said...

Rats as big as a small child? 😱 Even field mice bother me. Good to know about the peppermint tea. Happy T Day

Halle said...

Glad to hear your natural solution is helping with the pest problem. UGH!
I enjoy peppermint.
Happy T day!

Kate Yetter said...

Ugh! Rats the size of small children? I thought they were only a thing of the imagination. I must try this as I have lettuce in containers on my deck. Thanks for the recipe.
Happy Tea Day,
Kate

pearshapedcrafting said...

Ooh! That is a problem that needs sorting - your mixture sound as though it is working though! Here in the UK there is a bit of a rat problem, as with Covid they have been moving around away from shops to look for food elsewhere! Your mint tea looks inviting! Very belated T Day wishes, Chrisx