Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Did you miss me?

Hi Everyone!

Did you miss me? I am gone a few days and my entire blogger is different. Ya know where I do things behind the scenes. Anyway, I hope all of you are doing well. I will catch up on your posts today.  Happy Cinco De Myo. Since I have been collecting and making skull art for most of my life I thought this would be a good day to share some of it. I have a house full of skulls, bones, and art. Some of these you may remember. So what is Cinco De Myo? Cinco de Mayo, or the fifth of May, is a holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army’s May 5, 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War. The day, which falls on Tuesday, May 5 in 2020, is also known as Battle of Puebla Day. While it is a relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States, Cinco de Mayo has evolved into a commemoration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations. Check more out here 
With this history my in-laws and friends also create alters to celebrate their loved ones that have passed over. The celebrations are magnificent full of life and joy. 
I wish all of you a very happy day with good health.



One I drew.
This guy is huge. About 24" tall.


I got these in Mexico.

Also from Mexico, I made the wall hanging

I made these 2 Miss Skully bracelets about 10 years ago.

I made this pyro art on leather for my DIL

Molded leather with leather flowers

Another molded leather.

Molded leather in Grave yard.

My Skully bouquet


From Mexico

This is quite large and was displayed at 2 different art shows.
 
These are just a very small sample of skull art I have through out my home. 
Do you have any skull art? Or an alter for Cinco De Myo?

Be Safe
Nicole/DVArtist 
Honor and integrity in art, in life.

6 comments:

Crafting Queen said...

Must admit that skulls scare me. I do like your drawing. Stay safe.

Barbara said...

No skull art here, but I think your drawing says you missed your calling as a Medical Illustrator. I was interested in that in art school, but didn’t pursue it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your skull art is fantastic! The only skulls I have in my home are the necklace of skulls around the neck of a Kali statue and a small crow skull dangle on a steampunk clock. Happy Cinco de Mayo! That's not a big holiday here in Canada but as more and more Mexicans emigrate here, it will probably become so in the future.

Lowcarb team member said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo …

All the best Jan

dmZapp said...

I have some skull art, but it is at your house because I knew you loved it more than I did. My dad's lesson from his art instructor, circa late 1950's I believe. Could be wrong about the year, sometimes he dated his sketches. I took a class from the same instructor when I was 14, the last year he taught.......he was in his mid 80's and decided to retire.
All our best vibes are heading to April.........and you of course. Donna

Magic Love Crow said...

I love your skull art! Your leather pieces are amazing!! Big Hugs!