Thursday, February 28, 2019

I Did It!!

Hi Everyone!

Well I did it. I finished the leather sculpts that I had left to do. I am so happy with them I could cry. Ya know tears of joy. Here are the last four piece. The first one started out like this. The leather is just magnificent and I wish I had tons of it.  Now you have to know that in all the venues of art I work in I never have a solid plan. For the leather I make the mold if I don't have one on hand that I like, then mold and sculpt the leather. It takes days to get to the place you see in the first photo. Then it is time to embellish. A note to my work. The leather does not stay on the molds. My leather art is free standing. So yes if you pushed very hard the faces they would collapse.

 Man and Woman Black leather. Faces are just smaller than human size
 Finished "Indigenous" Airbrushed and decorated.
The colors are just amazing.

Then my Skulls. The leather is golden deer hide. I did make the larger skull mold. However when I removed the leather and trimmed them I cut too deep into the larger one and had to make a new mold a bit smaller. It worked though.


This is "Skull Garden" They sit in a cupboard gallery frame that is 36x16" The skulls are airbrushed and in real life look so real. Then Spanish Moss, soft Evergreen and grass clumps surround the skulls.I made cob webs too. This is truly wonderful in real life.


I thought I had a before photo of this but I think it is on my phone. This is a 24x16 gallery frame with lost of textured background. The leather is a light golden deer hide. Really nice to work with. Airbrushed face and golden highlights. They don't show up very well in this photo. 


Last for this group is my small faces. There are three 3" faces mounted on a wood board. They are so cute and really have good detailing.

Now that you have read the info go back and click on the photos to see a better view. 

Thanks to Eva and Kristen for hosting PPF
 
Nicole/DVArtist 
Honor and integrity in art, in life.

38 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

Wow Nicole, I don't know what to say! I am in total AHHHH!!!! Wow girl! You are Brilliant!!! AMAZING! Big Hugs!

DVArtist said...

Awww thank you Sweetie so much. Than means a lot to me.

BrownPaperBunny said...

Oh my gosh you should be over the moon, they are amazing. I can't even begin to imagine how you do it! Happy PPF!

Christine said...

Lovely leather art Nicole.

DVArtist said...

Thank you. I have been doing this a long time but these are some that I love.

DVArtist said...

Thank you Christine

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic leather art, wow! Happy PPF, Valerie

Kokopelli said...

I'm so in LOVE with Skull Garden and the peacock lady. Such beautiful pieces. Good luck on your exhibit and I hope many pieces sell. Happy PPF!

sirkkis said...

Stunning art, Nicole. Leather goes wonderful in your fingers!
Happy PPF 😃

JFM said...

Excellent art creations...stunning Nicole!!!

DVArtist said...

Thank you Valerie-Jael

DVArtist said...

Daggie thank you so much. I so wish you lived closer so we could do leather work together. Hugs.

DVArtist said...

Thank you so much Sirkkis.

DVArtist said...

Thank you. I appreciate your comments so much.

Gillena Cox said...

You dhould be happy. They are gorgeous and worth every minute you put into their creation. Happy PPF

much🌻love

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

These really are magnificent Nicole, you work wonders with that leather. I'd love to take a class or just sit and watch you work your magic. An amazing artist that i'm so glad to have discovered thanks to blogger.
As always thank you for sharing & congratulations again on your exhibitions.
Happy PPF Hugs Tracey xx

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Just gorgeous!

DVArtist said...

Oh thank you so much Gillena.

DVArtist said...

Tracey any time you want to come over you are welcome. We can play art all day. Thank you for your kind words.

DVArtist said...

Thanks Debra.

Sue (this n that) said...

Wow Nicole - your leather art is fantastic. I especially love the Indigenous pieces.
You've a great eye for bringing these to life... well done :D) xx

artbyjune said...

Beautiful. I especially love the native ammerican faces.

DVArtist said...

Thank you Sue

DVArtist said...

Thank you June

carol l mckenna said...

These are awesome ~ what creativity and work! Favorite is the first creation shown ~

Happy Day to you,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

DVArtist said...

Thank you Carol

Gloria j Zucaro said...

You do sculpture so well, and with much diversity!

SLScheibe said...

So wonderful! Nice to see some close up images of the leather art. Gorgeous work!

Jennifer Rose said...

great you got them all finished :) the skulls look like they are trying to escape from the ground :)

DVArtist said...

Jennifer thank you for see that. I was hopping for that effect.

DVArtist said...

Thank you. I wish I could get a better photo of them.

DVArtist said...

Thank you Gloria

Courtney said...

Incredible! These are just so incredible!! I think the photos look great...clicking on each one gives the larger view to see more details.. I think your work is amazing. :) Happy PPF!!

NatureFootstep said...

wow, these are stunning. I really would love to see them for real. :) But, there is a whole world between us. The two faces on top, Gorgeous!

BLOGitse said...

I'm a practical person so I have to ask: isn't leather art really expensive? I've sewn leather and I remember it wasn't cheap material.
How did you find this idea?

DVArtist said...

Thank you so much Courtney.

DVArtist said...

Thanks Monica

DVArtist said...

Yes, leather can be very expensive. I will tell the story of how this all began in my next ppf post.