Saturday, January 25, 2014

MAKING CHEESE

Hi Everyone!

Today, while I am trying to stay off my feet, I decided to make some cheese. It is so much fun and easy to do. This is like Ricotta or Farmer's cheese. Depending on how dry you make it. 
I got my ingredients from a gift that came in a kit. The cheese is sooooooo good!!!!! I made two batches. One seasoned with my Italian herbs for manicotti and one plain so I can eat it with fruit or honey or put on toast. 
Here is how,

In a large pot put 8 cups of milk. I use 2% so I get a less creamy cheese.
 Turn the temp to a low medium
 In a 1/2 cup of water add 1tsp of Citric Acid. Stir to dissolve and set aside
 Set cheese cloth in a colander in a clean sink.
 Allow the milk to get to 185 degrees F
 Once it reaches temp pour in the acid water. Stir gently and watch the curds appear.
 It is like magik. Allow to cook about 1 minute.
 With an open slotted spoon transfer the curds from the pot to the cheese cloth. 
Add 1/2 tsp of cheese salt.
 Whhheeellllaaaa you have cheese.
 This batch I added the Italian seasonings, garlic, and red pepper.
It looks like a bowl of popcorn but I a sure you it it cheese.

Nicole/Beadwright 
Honor and integrity in art, in life.

11 comments:

Lori said...

Ohhh YUM- Cheese!!! Looks so good and fun to make too!

Cindy D. said...

Wow, that's cool! That is so impressive that you made cheese. :)

irene said...

I think making cheese is like magic. It is simple and satisfying. Hope you enjoy.

Erika said...

hmmm, yummy, dea Nicole! Love to see your cheese making.
Greetings and have a creative time.
Erika - Das blaue Haus

Lisabella Russo said...

Oh wow! It looks delicious. I didn't even know you could make cheese at home. Very impressive!

Kristin said...

That is SO cool! And it looks wonderful too. I didn't know you could make cheese at home either, very nice! xoxo

Magic Love Crow said...

I could eat that entire bowl! This looks sooooo good!!! I really didn't know you could make cheese at home! Very cool!!! I will be looking for your package ;o) Big Hugs ;o)

stefanie stark said...

Oh this looks really yummy and delicious! Great to see the process of cheese making at home!

Lynn Lindley said...

Nicole, you are my idea of a Renaissance Woman! Is there anything you can't do?
Very impressive!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

That looks really delicious--and there is nothing better than fresh cheese!

Terri Morse said...

Wow, this is really cool! Do you add the seasonings before or after it's cooked? I'd love to try making a fat-free cheese like that!