Tuesday, August 18, 2009

GLASS BEYOND

One of the first people I met when I moved to Florence, OR. was James Lais. He was even brave enough to join me at my Waldport, OR. bead meeting. You know a group of women with nothing better to do on a Wednesday night than bead. LOL! James was a hit with everyone. I encouraged him to bring some of his glass beads and that was another hit with all of us. More recently James has been making the most incredible glass and I have to share this amazing artist and his art with you.


James in his own words.

I was born in Illinois, moved to Oregon in 1977. I have always been attracted to nature, mastering motion (cycling, martial arts, advanced Frisbee disc games), and music. I spent my childhood drawing cars and motorcycles and cartoon faces. Drawing with pen and ink before starting a sign career in 1987. I learned allot about color and design from many different sign artists in Portland before moving to Florence, on the beautiful Oregon coast. In my younger years I worked many low-paying jobs from lumber mills to pizza joints. I have two beautiful daughters who live a couple hours away. After working in sign shops and dealing with the public for many years, I am happy to spend my working hours alone with my radio in my glass studio.
I have been a full - time glass blower since September of '04.
I draw inspiration from nature, people and music. Other people's photography is a major inspiration source.
My Faerie wings evolved from butterfly pendants that I had been making. My Muse, PJ Clark, suggested that I omit the body and call them 'Faerie Wings'. They leave a little more to the imagination that way.
Other than etsy.com, my work can be found at jlais.com (my earring site), and some shops around Florence,Oregon. Also, through October at the Florence Oldtown Market, where you can find allot of handmade (American hands that is!) items for sale from the people that make them. I will soon have my Garden Ornaments in nurseries and gift shops in the Willamette Valley as well as up and down the Oregon Coast and beyond....




This is just a sample of James' Fairie Wings PJ Clark setting up at Florence Old Town Market Beautiful Glass By James Lais

Bead with Honor and Integrity
Nicole/Beadwright

No comments: