Sunday, September 6, 2026

SITAR

 Welcome to
SITAR is about ANYTHING art. Your art, someone else's art, writing, photography, the art of cooking, the art of sewing and textiles. Sharing historical art, street art, a story about art. Do you have a question or need help with art? Write a blog post and link it up here. We will all try to help with it. My only rule is that if someone asks for critique it must be done with generosity and consideration. 
This is a place of learning, encouragement and inspiration.
 
I have always found fashion to be an art form. But how did it start. Here is a video that shows just a bit of how things changed. 
 

 
 
It wasn't until 1890 that modern fashion shifted the clothing industry. The rise of the sewing machine is what made this possible, changing from laborious handmade clothes to crafted luxury designs. Before that Mothers and daughters spent a massive portion of their daily lives sewing. Girls were taught precise stitching (like the back stitch and running stitch) from early childhood. To save time, home-sewn clothes used simple, geometric patterns (like rectangles and squares for shifts and shirts) that required less cutting and fitting. Because fabric was so expensive, clothes were constantly mended, patched, resized for younger children, and eventually turned into rags or quilts. People owned very few outfits.
To understand the impact of the 1850s transition: a skilled hand-sewer took about 14 hours to make a man's shirt by hand. With the early sewing machine, that time dropped to 1 hour and 16 minutes. 
Now there are so many directions I can go with this post. From the early "slop" shops located near ports for sailors who didn't have anyone to sew for them, to the second hand trade. Or the sweat shops where women form different countries slaved to make clothes.  However, I don't want to get into all of that. I just want to show how clothes have changed over the decades. 
Here is another video.
 

                           

  

 

 I just thought these were fun to watch.

I will be joining Gillena 


 
Nicole
 

18 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's ironic. I was just reading about how it was unlawful to wear shorts in the 1930s, even during the dust bowl time when temps reached 120 F. Vanity over safety. In 1936, shorts were finally allowed to be worn in public.

One of the reasons disease was so prevalent in the 1600s through the 1800s was because women wore those long dresses that picked up all kinds of diseases and germs and brought them home on their skirts.

I tried to access the videos. but I'm not a member of Pinterest, so was unable to watch them. And they want me to join, but I have enough social media with blogs.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to wish you a happy FFO and AFFF.

Iris Flavia said...

Just the other day I found those videos on FB, too, also how men´s clothes have changed. I found it super-interesting! Have a great Sunday, dear Nicole.

kwarkito said...

c'est amusant cette petite animation sur la mode... elle ne prend malheureusement pas en compte la transformation des corps due à la nourriture industrielle :-)

Christine said...

Fashion is art you are right!

Anvilcloud said...

That video was fab. I have seen another one like thi]at, but tis was so well done. Whoever made it did a great job.

Angie's Recipes said...

Wish I were tall enough to wear those outfits..love them!

Jeanie said...

I agree. A few years ago I went to an exhibit by a woman who made extremely detailed clothing with paper. Someday I'll reshare that one!

Tom said...

...for a second time I only get the descriptions and no images. I like to "read" the pictures.

DVArtist said...

You don't have to be a member of Pintrest to view the videos. If you can't see the image refresh your page.

DVArtist said...

Not sure why you can't see the video. Try refreshing your page.

Gillena Cox said...

I luv the fashion video
Happy Sunday
Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles

Much love

Lisca said...

That was. interesting. Lovely video (the first one, I couldn't see the second one. It showed me a photo on Pinterest but no video)
I was watching the hemline which jumped up in 1920. That must have been very revolutionary!
Lisca

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Fashion is certainly a form of art. I would love to draw and paint dresses like that. Wishing you a quiet week ahead.

-Soma

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

First let me apologise for not commenting earlier, I've had internet issues but I'm here now :)
Great theme, although I love my sewing machine a fabulous time saving tool but I must say there is nothing like the humble hand stitch.
Hope you are keeping well?
Hugs Tracey x

Margaret D said...

The video is very interesting Nicole. How things have changed and I see some items relevant to today's fashion.

My name is Erika. said...

Clothes are definitely an art form, especially when you get to some "high fashion". I've actually gone to a couple of clothing exhibits are art museums, and also seen some at history museums, etc. That was a fun video. I hope you had a super weekend. hugs-Erika

baili said...

dear Nichole big big big thanks for such a wonderful video that shows the transformation of the fashion over the decades ,i loved it 😍
i am too lazy to follow the fashion but i love seeing lovely ladies wearing diverse outfits 🥰👍