Sunday, July 26, 2026

Sunday in the Art Room SITAR 7/26/26

 Welcome to 

SITAR is about ANYTHING art. Your art, someone else's art, writing, photography, the art of cooking, the art of sewing and textiles. Sharing historical art, street art, a story about art. Do you have a question or need help with art? Write a blog post and link it up here. We will all try to help with it. My only rule is that if someone asks for critique it must be done with generosity and consideration. 
This is a place of learning, encouragement and inspiration.
 
All of the art that we create today is because of artists in the past. Especially women artists who stood strong against society and their male counterparts.
 Many talented women artists of the 1950s were overlooked by mainstream history, including Lee Krasner, Carmen Herrera and Elain de Kooning. These women worked hard in movements like Abstract Expressionism and Minimalism, but, as we know, male peers and gallery owners often pushed them aside. 
 
Today, I want to focus on Lee Krasner.
 Born Oct. 27, 1908 in Brooklyn, New York. Her birth name was Lena Krassner, and she grew up as the child of Russian-Jewish immigrant parents. 
  She was married to Jackson Pollack so you would think she would have and "in" to mainstream galleries and art functions. Not so. 
Gallery owners and the press frequently reduced Krasner to a supportive spouse or manager rather than viewing her as a serious, independent artist. 
 

  
It's impossible to discuss Lee without addressing her marriage to Pollock. They were married for 11 years and despite Pollock's chronic depression, alcoholism and infidelity, Lee supported him and his art. Their marriage was turbulent to say the least. After yet another affair Lee left for Europe and shortly there after Pollack passed away. Lee returned to make sure Pollack's name and art was remembered as genius. Pollock died in 1956. 
 It was then that Lee was able to focus on her own art. Lee produced new series of art that were/are powerful and emotional. Yet, she struggled against widespread sexism that viewed her primarily as a grieving widow and caretaker of his legacy.

 
 

Lee finally gained major widespread recognition in the late 1970s and early 1980s, highlighted by a major 1983 retrospective at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and a major exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in late 1984 
 
In fact, Lee's art is now permanently held and displayed across at least 20 major international museums and has been featured in dozens of prominent galleries and retrospective venues worldwide. 
Original paintings by Lee generally sell for between $500,000 and $12 million at auction, depending entirely on the era, scale, and historical importance of the piece. While her market historically lagged behind her husband's her value has surged dramatically in recent years. Smaller works on paper and prints typically command much less, ranging anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000. 
Lee's story is vast and if this has peeked your interest check out these links. 
 
Nicole
 
Joining Gillena
 

20 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thank you for introducing me to Lee Krasner, another artist I knew nothing about until now.

I especially like her Seated figure. When she showed her art at MoMA, she had truly made it as a recognized and respected artist. Happy SITAR and Sunday Smiles.

Iris Flavia said...

I wonder how a marriage like that can work. And why she made sure he´s an artist even after he´d passed away. Well my view on Pollock sure has changed, and not for the better - I reckon that wasn´t your goal ;-) But I like Lee´s art and didn´t know her, so: Thank you!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I have heard of Lee Krasner although I haven't seen a lot of her art. Her struggle for recognition and success in the patriarchal art world is an old, old story for women, isn't it. Glad she wasn't ignored forever!

Gene Black said...

Interesting. I didn't know that Pollock was married. She was an interesting artist in her own right.

kwarkito said...

J'adore son travail et c'est heureux que son œuvre n'ait pas été trop occultée par celle de son mari comme c'est souvent le cas pour les épouses et compagnes de peintres célèbres

jabblog said...

I see more meaning in Lee Krasner's work than that of her husband. Does that make me a philistine?

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I plan to peruse the links and soon as I finish my comment . I recognized Lee's picture and have seen her art in my past, though sadly, I don't remember when or where. I love that you give creedence to the work of women artists who, like you say, were passed over in their time. My sister was an artist and used to paint murals in peoples homes and also on the streets of her home town (with permission from the city council). She became well known in her area and was able to support herself with her art. That was in the 1960's and 70's. Sadly she passed at a young age, so we will never know what she would have achieved.
As always, you expand the thoughts and minds of your followers ... Thank you, for that.

Andrea @ From the Sol

Christine said...

Interesting feature on Lee

My name is Erika. said...

I'd heard of Lee Krasner and her story, but I hadn't really seen her art. It's amazing. And do I ever dare say better than Pollack"s? Well at least I like it better. I'm glad she finally got the recognition she deserved. Thanks for lesson Nciole. Have a great Sunday and start to the new week. hugs-Erika

Anvilcloud said...

That’s cool that she did eventually find her place in the sun although it seems that too much of it was posthumously.

Jeanie said...

What a fascinating introduction. I find that I enjoy her work far more than Jackson's!

Lisabella Russo said...

Thank you for the insightful information! Much appreciated.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

This is fascinating, Nicole! Interesting artwork as well.

Mary Kirkland said...

Damn,cher art is selling for quite a large amount.

Michelle said...

Thank you for teaching me about Lee Krasner!

Tom said...

...Lee Krasner is a new name for me, but Jackson Pollack isn't! Goes to show you!!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for introducing me to Lee Krasner.

All the best Jan

Margaret D said...

Interesting paintings, Nicole.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Bravo for Lee Krasner. I am sure you have introduced her to many of us.

Fundy Blue said...

Thanks for sharing Lee's art, Nicole. I particularly like the orange, red, purple, and black one which makes me think of irises.