Welcome to
This is the first edition
I didn't learn about Bomb magazine until the late 1990s. It wasn't until 2008 that BOMB Magazine expanded into digital publishing and email marketing shortly after a major website redesign.
Bomb was launched in 1981 by a group of New York City-based artists, including Betsy Sussler, Sarah Charlesworth, Glenn O'Brien, Michael McClard, and Liza Béar,
The name Bomb is a reference to both Wyndham Lewis' Blast and the fact that the magazine's original editors expected the publication to "bomb" after one or two issues. Shortly after its founding, Bomb formed a non-profit organization, New Art Publications, Inc., which publishes the journal.
In 2005, the Bomb offices moved from the SoHo neighborhood of New York City, New York, to Fort Greene, Brooklyn. By December 2019, Bomb had published one hundred fifty issues.
In addition to interviews, it features essays, reviews, and original creative writing (fiction and poetry).
BOMB is also known for initiatives like the Oral History Project, which preserves the stories of distinguished visual artists of the African Diaspora.Check it out here.





19 comments:
Love the art of African Diaspora. Am off to visit an other African concert soon - have a great Sunday (my back is better!).
...Nicole, thanks for the intro to Bomb!
Vey interesting. I had never heard of Bomb. Thanks for the introduction to it.
It's nice to see that Bomb did not bomb.
It was fun to read about Bomb. I haven't heard of it. I remember when zines and other magazines were big, and they were always fascinating to read. Sadly so many of those have gone by the wayside. But I love that this magazine is still around. It's thought o create something and keep it going for so long since people get tired of doing it and since what's popular changes. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the rest of your weekend. hugs-Erika
I was unfamiliar with “Bomb.” Never part of my world, I suppose.
That is most interesting. It's good to have a publication where people can showcase their work.
Interesting. I had never heard of Bomb and am sure glad that it didn't bomb. Thank you for introducing it to us.
Happy Sunday, Nicole
Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles
Much love
In the 1970s many “little” magazines were founded, especially by sisters who were inventing a new women’s movement. I subscribed to several publications back then, but this one came later and I guess by then I was doing other things and reading other news. MS magazine was founded around that time but was far from the most interesting one. So your post today interested me a lot.
best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com
How interesting. I'd never heard of this!
I had no idea BOMB magazine got its name because the creators thought it would literally bomb after a couple of issues, that is such a brilliant piece of trivia! It’s amazing how a project started by artists just wanting to talk freely without critics breathing down their necks is still going strong all these years later, especially with cool additions like that FUSE podcast. Thanks for introducing this during today's SITAR; I’m definitely going to fall down a rabbit hole checking out their archives now.
Happy Sunday, Nicole! Have a great week. :-)
I had never heard of Bomb ... interesting post, thank you.
All the best Jan
In our current timeline where Free Speech is in peril, publications like this are so important.
C’est très intéressant. Je ne connaissais absolument pas cette publication.
How interesting as I've never heard of the magazine until now.
Made me think of an old Indie bookshop here and the type of publications they produce. So different than the usual. Thank you for hosting.
-Soma
First I've heard of it Nicole. :-D
Post a Comment