Sunday, June 21, 2026

Sunday in the Art Room SITAR 6/21/26

 Welcome to


SITAR is about ANYTHING art. Your art, someone else's art, writing, photography, the art of cooking, the art of sewing and textiles. Sharing historical art, street art, a story about art. Do you have a question or need help with art? Write a blog post and link it up here. We will all try to help with it. My only rule is that if someone asks for critique it must be done with generosity and consideration. 
This is a place of learning, encouragement and inspiration.
 
Since last year, I began exploring portraiture to celebrate individuals with unique features, such as scars, birth defects, and skin conditions who are often overlooked or deemed unattractive in today's society. More so underrepresented in art.
I have tried a few times to draw portraits of women with scars.  
I did show these in July of 2025. I don't think they are very successful. 
 
Sometimes, the final piece doesn’t quite match the vision in my mind. Rendering the complex textures of a face, like wrinkles and scars is a challenge for me. As a self taught artist, it takes me a bit longer to grasp these finer details, but I'm practicing. During my search for references, I came across an incredibly inspiring 
British artist, Kelvin Okafor.
His self portrait. 
I had to share this image since his self portrait is very serious. 
 
After reading Kelvin's bio, it is clear his passion extends far beyond simply capturing faces. He specializes in portraiture, finding deep fascination in the human condition. Regardless of a subject's age, background, or identity, every face he draws tells a compelling story. Once you see his art you will know exactly what I mean.
Kelvin is a hyperrealistic artist renowned for his breathtaking photo-like graphite and charcoal portraits. His work goes beyond mere photorealism, capturing the deep character and emotional essence and pure humanity of his subjects.  
 
 

All art is created by Kelvin Okafor  
Catrin Pugh, physiotherapist and motivational speaker, whose burns were due to a coach crash. Image from 10 an art magazine that covers contemporary art along side fashion and beauty.

Nikki Lilly 2024 Arteriovenous malformation. 2024 A British social media personality, charity campaigner, and TV presenter. She is widely known for her resilience and advocacy. Diagnosed with a rare, life-threatening condition called arteriovenous malformation (AVM) at age six, she has undergone over 100 surgeries to date.

 
I have featured Seal in my lupus awareness posts. His facial scars are due to lupus. Kelvin executed this in 2023
 
Katie Piper: 
Prior to her 2008 acid attack, Katie Piper was a model and aspiring television presenter. In March 2008, an ex-boyfriend orchestrated a brutal sulfuric acid attack that left her blind in one eye, permanently scarred, and missing sections of her face. 
Shimbe Avalumun Queen Albinism 2023
The above photos from Hope 93 
A contemporary art gallery, advisory platform, and event space located in London's West End. 

If you would like to view Kelvin creating his art, and I know you do, please click onto his Facebook link.

Throughout my research into Kelvin Okafor, I discovered a deeply sensitive and compassionate man, whose creations are driven by a fierce passion.

Oh and by the way, in watching his videos his voice is deep, luscious and full of soft conviction. It’s almost impossible not to hang onto every single word he says.

 I hope you enjoyed meeting Kelvin Okafor and will continue to seek out is art.

Nicole
I'm linking with Gillena

 

26 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

I am lucky. Only my arm, shoulder and hip are scarred.
But!!!
It helped getting a colleague (now friend) to let go of "shame" of his missing fingers.
Heck. What do scars mean? You survived an accident or an illness! You´re a fighter. No pity, please!
He even wears a ring now next to the missing fingers! Has a girl-friend and I do believe... me showing my scars helped him. (It was not on purpose, it was just a hot day and I didn´t care).
Ingo wanted to take a pic when it was "fresh", I said "no". Now I wish I had that pic to show and say, " "hey, almost good now!".

Angie's Recipes said...

I didn't know Seal's scar was due to the lupus...thought it was an accident. Katie Piper still looks gorgeous!

Tom said...

...there's beauty in imperfection.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Hi Nicole, I'm glad to see your portraits as I had previously missed them, you have done a grand job not an easy task. I have seen Kelvins work fascinated by his attention to detail of every eye lash.. What a gift he gives to us by sharing his talents and bringing those brave souls to us.. beauty comes in many forms.
Sunday Hugs Tracey xx

Anvilcloud said...

That is quite a theme and project.

Gene Black said...

These are quite interesting. I thought most of them were photos until I read the text.
I will have to check out those links.

Dicky Bird said...

I've never heard that word. I'm not sure I can even pronounce it. I had no idea there was art and artists that capture these portrait images in such a beautiful way. The stories on each was good to read too. Thanks.

jabblog said...

Extraordinary work.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

He has undeniable talent. I am pleased to have made his acquaintance. Right now I am vacationing on Vancouver Island so we are in the same time zone. Different politics though!

My name is Erika. said...

I think your portraits are lovely. I like the first one with the scar slightly red in color. And Kelvin is such an amazing artist, You do find some interesting art online Nicole. And I learn a lot stopping by your blog. Happy Sunday, and happy father's day to your husband too. hugs-Erika

Jeanie said...

I love your portraits. Kelvin's work is interesting -- thanks for the intro!

Lowcarb team member said...

What a great post.
I enjoyed seeing your art and also Kelvins.

Have a happy Sunday.

All the best Jan

Lisabella Russo said...

What powerful and moving words and images! Thank you.

Mary Kirkland said...

I had no idea that Seal's scars came from Lupus.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

There is indeed beauty in imperfection. Thank you for sharing, Nicole!

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

His portraits are like photographs only with meaningful expression on their faces. I purused his art and am very impressed as were you. Couldn't find that deep, lucious , full of conviction voice though ... but I would like to :) As for your art ... how much more successful do you need to be ... these are lovely and show that with or without scars people are beautiful. Always a pleasure, Nicole ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

So I am back because I did find the clip where he spoke most elequently about his art and what inspires him. A kind, gentle man ... such a good find, Nicole :)

Andrea

Gillena Cox said...

Your faces are fabulously done
Happy Sunday
Thanks for linking to SundaySmiles

Much love

AN ARTIST REFLECTS said...

Very dynamic portrait work "~ Wow! ~ Hugs ^_^

Mae Travels said...

This is a very disturbing post. You have forced me to deal with what I see here, while in real life I would not look. Not my best honor.

Sakuranko said...

Oh amazing art!

Sakuranko said...

Oh very good draws!
Amazing art

Katerinas Blog said...

Great post, people are often surprised or look at you strangely because they are not used to certain images. The same thing happens with people with disabilities. The more often they come into contact, the more we achieve inclusion. Thank you for this tribute post! This week I also did some art, I created an ATC card that I posted on my fairy tale blog. I will put the link and take part in the challenge my friend Nicole!! Have a wonderful week!

Katerinas Blog said...

In the end I couldn't enter the challenge, something is happening with my computer's security systems. I'm leaving the link here for anyone who wants to take a look! https://peripetiazois.blogspot.com/2026/06/creating-atc-card-peek-into-my-workshop.html?sc=1782103814176#c5515110144439173304

Margaret D said...

The faces with the scar you did are looking like scars, you did well.
The other ones are good, Kelvin seems a good artist.

DVArtist said...

Yes, he had a hard time with lupus. Lost his hair too. I've lost my hair as well. It's a tough disease.