Wednesday, May 17, 2023

TADD 5/18

 Hi Everyone!

I'm joining TADD with Rain this week. I have been saving photos to share so I'm not sure where this post will go. LOL

As some of you know gardening this year has been somewhat of a friggen mess. Our weather is all mixed up. Freezing and snow in March and April and now our day time highs are only in the mid 60s F. and the very low 40s F at night. Most of all of my seedlings died so my garden is very different this year. 

There is more growing in this now.
 

 I do have peas. 
 

 Buckets of plants.


 Potatoes coming up.


 These are herbs growing nicely now.
 

 I have a tomato plant this year.


 I put permanent sides on my hoop garden.


 Onions, cabbage and carrots in these.
 

 I have to have my dill.


 This hosta, even though it lives in the sun, it comes back every year.


I've had this Rosemary a few years now.

 I have my tomato plant cage wrapped in saran wrap. It keeps the heat in.



 Mr. M. built this for me this year.
 

 


Wanna know what the pipes are in my buckets. I have to tell you it works.

 Make sure there is good drainage.


 Put a bit of soil down. In a clean jug put a Piece of PVC pipe into the hole. I cut the end at an angle first.
 

 Fill the jug with water about 2/3 of the way. The drill or poke holes in the top of the just. I get about 50 holes.
 

 Start filling the bucket with soil.
 

 Fill it with soil.
 

 Then soak the soil .
 

 Let is set.
 

 Fill the bucket with soil about an inch from the top. Wet the soil and plant seeds or starters.
 

What happens is the roots of the plant finds their way into the holes of the jug. Watering is less and the plants really do better. I put fresh water into the pipe about every week or so.

Here are the buckets as of tonight.


 
 

I got so many happy wishes for my birthday and I want to thank all of you for that. This is what my dear Mr. M. got for me. I asked him for new bits.

and he added this. It's 12 volts where my other drill is only 8 volts and I have to keep it plugged in all the time or the battery goes dead. Oh my new drill has two batteries. I am a happy girl.
 
Now for food.

 Pizza of course.

 


 Bread made of pizza dough.

 


 Cinnamon rolls made from pizza dough. They don't look pretty



but OMG soooo good




 Well I think this is long enough and I need to lay down for a bit.

Have a great Thursday.

Nicole

20 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nice drill and drill bits! And man, do I want one of those cinnamon buns!

roentare said...

All these beautiful plants starting to germinate!

ashok said...

Good luck with your garden Nicole. They look very promising 👌

Iris Flavia said...

It´s but 8C/46F here, way too cold for the season (oh, I´ve heard that for ages in the news!)
Tomorrow I´ll get new soil and plant wildflower-seeds - clever idea with your construction (we have but a balcony, though).
When going away I just fill bottles with water and put them upside down into the soil.
(Thieves then see we are on holiday...)

Oh, lucky you. I broke my arm, some things went wrong and hence I always have to ask Ingo for jobs like that...

Pizza!!!

Tom said...

...if you don't like the weather at the moment, wait it will change.

Gene Black said...

I am thinking that those plants stay in the buckets with the jug/pipe for the entire season, right? That is very clever.

The weather here is HOT during the days already. This morning the low is 64. I think the high yesterday was above 80. (the day before 85) And we are having excessive rain. I think we have had about 3 inches in the past week.

So far the only thing I have planted is a pot of green onions. I was going to plant them in the ground but the place I had in mind doesn't get enough sun.

Christine said...

Yummy food and you are a wonderful gardener

Divers and Sundry said...

Your food looks delicious!

Our weather has gone from record lows to record highs, and now our lows are in the 60s. So weird!

Jeanie said...

That's very interesting about the watering and the bucket. I knew about or would have thought of that!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Bits & Batteries!
Great tip. Thank you The tube will work great with the hibiscus planted this year. It is a diva about being kept watered.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Glad you enjoyed the new tools for your birthday. We had frost here overnight and I am sure a few over-zealous gardeners got caught with plants prematurely in the ground. The May 24th weekend is a holiday here and conventional wisdom is not to plant until after then.

carol l mckenna said...

Hubby did great ~ Drill and Bits and longer battery time so you can enjoy the pizza ~ great post ~ Xo


Wishing you good health, laughter and love in your days,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor0

Gillena Cox said...

Hi Nicole. Your garden is florishing. Very Nice.
Thanks for dropping by my blog today

Much💖love

Soma @ InkTorrents.com said...

Your garden is growing quite well. A very happy belated birthday!!

-Soma

Carola Bartz said...

That's a very clever idea with the water jugs. I think your garden looks very promising and I love all the plants you showed here. I haven't been to your blog for quite some time, so I didn't know that it was your birthday - very happy belated birthday wishes to you, Nicole.

My name is Erika. said...

Your hubby got you a couple of wonderful gifts. And very useful. Your garden is looking good, but I know what you mean about this crazy weather. We're having it here too. hugs-Erika

Cathy Kennedy said...

Nicole,

WOW, your garden is looking fantastic! A new drill and bits, what more could a girl want, right? lol That's great!!

Mmm, your food looks wonderful! I love homemade pizza. I made Italian sausage and onion pizza last night. It's our favorite! It was delicious. Your cinnamon rolls do look yummy. I won't show this to DH or he'll be wanting them. :)

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

OMG you are the crazy garden lady ... what a concoction for watering your plants, but I can see how well it works. I am impressed! Now, did I miss your Birthday and if so, how did everyone know it was your BD? I think I must be walking around in a fog. Anyway, Happy Belated Birthday, Nicole. And, once again, I am in the dark ... a drill and bits? They are wonderful, but you use them for what? I apologize ... this has been a long hard week for me, so maybe all of this will come back to me. If not, feel free to fill me in :0
Now Cinnamon rolls made from pizza dough ... I like that because I can buy already made pizza dough at the store and that makes it easy enough to do. They do look delicious :) and I may just have to try them. Be well, Nicole ...

Andrea @ From the Sol

Fundy Blue said...

You are an inspiration, Nicole. I hope your garden is bountiful. Thanks for sharing how you make the buckets! Take care!

NatureFootstep said...

swwing your garden Nichole, I wish I had one too, but I don´t. :(