Monday, March 20, 2023

T stands for this n that.

 Hi Everyone!

I always get lovely comments from all of you, however, there is one that stands out this week from Andrea From the Sol. In part she writes; When is your show and how do those of us who don't live in the northwest get to see your art and perhaps purchase something? Every time I come over here, I think to myself, I would like to have that ... hmmm and here I am doing it again. You should have a shop or something, right?
Well, for about 10 years I had a brick n mortar and then went strictly on line for about 30 years.  A year after covid hit my business failed NOT due to me. So to answer her question, "No I do not have a shop." At first it was terrifying not to have an income. Now, I have settled into a different kind of life and doning a show once a year is fine with me. As for purchasing my art all one has to do is email me. She also asked about the story behind Witche's Bells I will tell it all on FFO.
I had a real burst of energy this weekend. Must be the prednisone. LOL
I was so excited last week to find heavy whipping cream on sale, that I neglected to see what the fat content was. I won't do that again. I made about 5 lbs of butter. 
Of course it has to be made in batches. If you don't know, the fat content should be 40% or more.  Most cartons are only 30 to 33% fat if not stated on the front of the carton. Less fat, less butter and more butter milk. It also takes longer to whip.
 
A month or so ago I bought some bare root plants. I have never used them before so I did a bit of research. From everything I have read when you open the package and remove the material there should be a large mass of roots. I opened the Hydrangea to fine hardly any roots at all. How disappointing. I followed the instructions any way and planted it in a pot instead of the ground. I put in a self watering spout and if it makes it, it makes it. Then it started to rain, which I was expecting, so an umbrella for this plant will help control the water.

 

 


The umbrella is not my idea. I saw it on line. They are very inexpensive but very high quality. From Oriental Trading company. I have been ordering from them for decades and shipping is fast.

Next, I bought some new pots n pans a few months ago. I'm so unhappy that the cooking manufactures no long put the heat gard for the handles. How stupid. When looking for a set I found these. Put out by the Pioneer Woman who has a cooking show. I wanted a set that actually gave enough lids and each pot and pan has silicon so you can touch the handles. Now I am NOT a farm girl type at all. The bonus casserole is not to my liking but I will give these an A++++

I made some Almond flour cookies that look so pretty. The first day they were bit gritty. Not my fave but wanted to give Mr. M. a treat. Now that they have sat in a container for a few days they are very soft and not as gritty.
 
 
For dinner one night I made stir fry. I haven't made it in years. It was so good


Now to get  into the T-Party, hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabth, I have to show a drink. Oj with a bit of sparkling water Hmmm sooooo refreshing.

 


Have a lovely day today.
Nicole

 

 

27 comments:

Tom said...

...we are still using pots and pan that were wedding gifts 55 years ago! I'm not sure if we are cheap or frugal.

Mae Travels said...

I hope your hydrangea will be healthy and happy! They can be beautiful plants if they want to!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Nice cookware! I watch the Pioneer Woman's cooking show all the time.

My name is Erika. said...

I love the umbrella idea for your plants. I've never bought hydrangea root plants but I did get some lily of the valleys last year. Each packet had 10 root plants. All 10 plants in the one packet made it and all 10 plants in the other did not. I hope they come back this year, but until my snow melts and things grow I won't know. And your kitchen art looks yummy-especially tat stir fry. Have a great T day and happy spring too. hugs-Erika

Rita said...

Love the red cookware!!
I hope the hydrangea makes it okay. They are such pretty plants.
I am starting another round of prednisone tomorrow and expect to have that burst of artificial energy and be endlessly hungry again--lol! But I am glad of it. I hope it helps me turn things around finally. Fingers crossed.
Have a great evening. :)

peppylady (Dora) said...

Income change of any kind can be scary.
Coffee is on and stay safe.

kathyinozarks said...

Sounds like you have been pretty busy. I am hoping too your new hydrangea plant makes it ok-great idea with the umbrella.
Years ago when we pretty much raised and preserved almost all of our own foods-I really enjoyed making butter too. so delicious. enjoy your new cookware
Happy Spring and Happy T
Hugs Kathy

ashok said...

You seem to be very busy.
Good idea the umbrella
We have exactly same red cookware at home 😀
Good day Nicole

Christine said...

Hope the hydrangea does well. The cookies and stir fry look good. Happy T

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, be careful with that brolly, better tie it somewhere.
Ours once was taken way up by a gush of wind...
Yes, Ingo got a pot that has no silicone for the lid, how dumb.
I have a fresh orange waiting in the fridge for me, too :-)
Have a great and happy T-day!

Valerie-Jael said...

Fun post, you are really busy, all day and every day, it seems. These days I get next to nothing done, which is sad. Hope your new plants root well and grow sturdily. The new pots look great, have fun using them! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

nwilliams6 said...

Wow, you have been busy! I get that way with Steriods too and can't sleep. Hubby is taking them now and he was up all night. Kind of cool to get a lot more done though!

Love the plant umbrella.

You are so creative and I see that it splills into your baking and cooking. YUM!

Happy Spring and Happy T-day, Nicole. Hugz

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The umbrella is a great idea. I suspect that many of us will be getting them.

Gene Black said...

There was a hydrangea at the corner of Mom’s house for years. It seemed nothing could kill it. It was at least 40 years old when it finally died.
I am curious about the recipe for the almond flour cookies. I can’t eat grains, so I cook with almond flour frequently. Did you use the finely ground almond flour? I use it for cakes, but I like the coarse ground if I am making cornbread.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

LOVE the idea of the umbrella for the plant. I hope your hydrangea make it. Good you took a photo in case you need to contact them.

I know what you mean about the silicon handles. My new cop[[er that is supposedly scratch proof has metal handles that scare me. I have to use a towle over the handles when I move them. I'm not a fan of red, but I like that set idea.

Your stir fry meal looks great and I am truly impressed that you made stir fry. I gave my wok away, so no longer make it the traditional way.

Love your orange juice. I need to put that on my grocery list. Thanks for sharing your plants, new cookware, meals, and orange juice for T this Tuesday, dear Nicole. Losing an income is devastating and I remember when it happened to you. Looks like you have settled into a new and thriving business, regardless.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

You have been busy.
Pans are a thrift store assortment. I will check out your recommendation.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention that was Bleubeard on the ATCs, not a bunny.

Divers and Sundry said...

It's never occurred to me to check the fat content of heavy whipping cream, but I will from now on. Thanks! My one hydrangea survived the winter -I see growth coming up from the root. It was a gift, already potted and growing. I've never bought plants online. I hope your shows growth soon.

I used to love Oriental Trading Company when the kids were little but haven't ordered from them in ages. I should look at their catalog online...

Those are pretty pots/pans. Your stir fry looks tasty. The oj looks tempting :) I don't often drink juice.

I'm looking forward to the swap. Happy T Tuesday!

jinxxxygirl said...

Great idea Nicole with the umbrella! I used to order alot from the Oriental Trading Company .. love them! I don't have any witch's bells but i do plan to make some.. Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

Carola Bartz said...

I hope that your hydrangea will make it. How odd that you couldn't find any roots when it is sold as a bare root plant - you would expect a few roots. I once planted a bare root rose and it is doing beautifully after several years now. I sometimes use an umbrella for a few plants, but not because of the rain, but to give them a bit of shade during the hottest hours of the day, especially when they're still young. Since I mostly have plants that are doing well in this climate, I don't need it often.
Your stir fry looks delicious. I make stir fry pretty often, it is so easy and you can be quite creative with it.
I have an Etsy store where I sell my knitted items and a bit of my photography. I used to do holiday fairs but not anymore.

Sharon Madson said...

You made butter?! So impressed! Your stir fry looks good. Happy t day.

Jeanie said...

What a juicy post! And I'm with you on the heat handles -- they are rare indeed.

Good luck with the hydrangea. The umbrellas are a brilliant idea and remind me I haven't been to Oriental Trading Company's site for a very long while! A visit must be in store!

I understand what you mean about limiting your sales. Back when I was working as a writer editor, I started doing freelance writing. And I learned that it became more of a slog than the joy of writing. The same with doing more art shows. And, I would guess, the same with an online site. Now I do one show a year and will fill online or personal orders/special orders on request, but most of the time paint or felt for the joy of it, to please me or to learn new techniques. And I love that. When I get a commission or someone buys something, I love it too -- but it is no longer a quest, but a treat.

Debra said...

Hello my friend...I hope you are doing well. Thinking about you! I love the umbrella over the plant! I have been thinking of making butter again. I didn't know about the percentage of fat-thank you.

Cathy Kennedy said...

It seems I tried making homemade butter once. I believe it set up ok but the flavor wasn't as good as what I get from the store. Perhaps the fat content wasn't high enough. The containers of high fat heavy whipping cream you get, do they actually read "high fat"? I'm curious to know in case I try this again. :)

I have silicon handle sleeves for my Lodge cast iron. If you need something like that you might want to check at Amazon. Almond Flour cookies sound good. I have never used it before but am willing to give it a try. :)

Have a doodletastic day!

The Happy Whisk said...

Hey Nicole! I love using almond flour and also almond meal in bakes. So fun. Love that you owned your own shoppe. Sorry that you had to close it. Very cool that you still sell through email.

Cheers to you!

baili said...

i am always so impressed by you as you are such a wonderful multitalented lady always full of positive energy and always knowing how to invest it on right direction ,a thing that we all should learn :)

congratulations for making as much butter !
homemade things are "priceless" always and healthier :)
reminds me of my grandma and aunts who would make butter in huge clay pots that was covered by wooden cap among which was wooden stick tied with robe and robe was pulled and by both hands ,what a rhythmic voice it would make by doing so :)
always great to buy new kitchen pots ,look amazing

happy that despite of odd your hydrangea survived :)
your almond cookies are really nice !!!
drink is delightful too
hugs and blessings!

Fundy Blue said...

Wow, Nicole! Your burst of energy radiates throughout your post! I had to laugh when I heard about your heavy whipping cream sale. The only times I've made butter is with my school kiddos. I hope your hydrangea makes it. They're such beautiful plants. Your pots look great. I love the built in heat guards. They make so much sense. I ended up buying one that I can put on my pots. Have a wonderful week, my friend! Big hugs to you.