Thursday, December 22, 2022

Friday Face OFF 12/23/22 How to add a face to a bottle

 Hi Everyone!

Since most of the US is in disastrous weather conditions where millions of people are without power, I hope you will be able to read this post. For us it is below 0 and very windy. The rest of the state is in ice, snow, wind and under emergency conditions. Let me know if you are in a storm.

Over the last few weeks I have had several requests on how to add a face to a bottle. There are many ways to accomplish this, I am going to show you 2 of them. The idea is to make the face, or any other object placed on the bottle to look like it is part of the design and not just glued on, the piece has to be and look cohesive. These are the two I created for this post and serves as my FFO. I will give instructions below.

 



 This is my personal bottle and holds patchouli oil.


 

 


I have to tell you that a lot of my photos didn't turn out. However, I think you will still be able to create your own bottles with this information. Click on the photos to see them closer.

I used a resin cabochon for this bottle. But you can use anything to decorate a bottle. If you use a stone or glass you must back them with felt.  Stone and glass will not adhere to a glass bottle. Well it will but then fall off.
 

 I love this bottle with a smooth top and ridges on the bottom. I spray painted it black. As much as I hate using hot glue, it is the best type of glue to adhere with for bottles, and it is much faster. 


 I used air dry clay to make a bezel around the cab. However, you can use just about anything. Such as twine or ribbon. Anything goes. If you do use clay lay a line of white glue to adhere the clay as it dries.


 Once the clay is laid in, make some sort of design on it. Any type of tool will work. Even a tooth pick.


 Once the clay is dry, it's time to make texture. This is the same method for corpsing skulls. See the instructions here. It is simple water and glue and tamp in paper towel, toilet tissue, fabric, netting, or any other material to make texture.


 I used paper towel. Make sure to get a close fit around the clay. Allow the first layer to dry then add another and another until you are happy with the texture.

 



 Here's where the photos didn't turn out. Once everything is dry, you want to paint. I took gold paste paint and with my finger lightly ran it over all the edges on the bottle and texture. Then I used red acrylic and dabbed all the white space and the clay around the cab. One last go over with the gold paste paint and it is done. You can use any kind of paint, colors, pens, what ever you want.

This next method is so easy. 
 
 I am using clay faces I already had made. 
 

 

The backs needed to be flattened to fit better in the bottle. If you make a clay face place it on the bottle to get the proper curve.
 

 I had already started this bottle and changed it up for today. Hot glue the faces onto the bottle.


 Make sure to go under and around the faces with the hot glue.


 

 Make sure there are no gaps. Then continue making random designs with the hot glue all over the bottle. The thicker the better.



Time to paint. I started with bright copper shinny paint on all of the dried glue.

 


 

 Once that is dry tap in a color onto the glass. I used a white acrylic.


 With a very lightly damp paper towel, tap the paint to remove and make it look mottled.


 

When the entire bottle is done and dry go over the paint on the glue. Just to brighten it up.


 Paint and highlight the faces.


 

 

  Once you get started making a bottle you will know just how easy and fun it is.
 
Now it's time for the featured artist. 
The generator came up with #23.

 

I am also linking up with Gillena

I want to wish all of you a very happy holiday how ever you celebrate.

Nicole

Now it's your turn, show me your face.

28 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your bottles are truly magnificent!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was in awe of both bottles and both techniques, but was really surprised and blown away by the second bottle getting hot glue. That is genius, Nicole. LOVE both of these.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful art today, your bottles are fabulous. Happy Christmas to you and yours, hugs, Valerie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Had to share with Friday Smiles because everybody needs to see Ian McNeice. Two visits for a second week in a row.

roentare said...

You are really so talented. The 3D arts on the bottle are just surreal

Iris Flavia said...

Here it warmed up, thankfully and I always read in "fear" how so many of you loose electricity.
That hasn´t happened once here in Germany in my lifetime.
We are a boring, but safe country it seems... I feel with you even if it was but one day the heating died. (we had electricity and Ingo heated up with that when being home, I was too frugal).

I remember patchouli oil from my teenage years! Now I do feel old! ;-)

Tooth picks we have a lot! Oh, I think I´ll try this next time I find a bottle worth it!

Thank you - this really sounds like a great idea for pressies! USEFUL pressies!

sirkkis said...

Hi Nicole 💖
Your bottle art is absolutely gorgeous🥇
I wish you a merry Christmas and happy new year for 2023 ❤️🌟

Tom said...

...WOW, below 0! This morning it is raining, the temperature will drop and perhaps some snow. Stay warm and safe.

Gene Black said...

Thanks for sharing your method for creating unique bottles. I found it very interesting.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A major storm is on its way here and we will be hunkered down for a day or two. If we retain power we have lots of food in the house so we'll be snug and happy at home. Good luck with your weather - stay safe.

Mae Travels said...

Your methods of creating amazing works of art always fascinate me even though I do not do any such art myself.

Have a great Christmas weekend!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gillena Cox said...

Congratulations to Mia. Featured artist today.
Nicole thanks for hosting us. Best Wishes for a wonderful Christmas weekend
Much💚love

My name is Erika. said...

Your bottle technique is pretty simple but the results are amazing. Who would have thought that it's just some glue, some type of face and an interesting bottle. It looks like so much fun. We have strong winds today but at least it is rain coming down and warm. However the temperature is supposed to drop about 30 degrees later this afternoon. Hoping your and my power stays on. Enjoy the holiday weekend, and I think you said you don't celebrate, but still, happy holiday Nicole. hugs-Erika

Gillena Cox said...

Nicole
Thanks for linking to Art For Fun Friday

Much🌲love

Cloudia said...

Hey those rise above craft to art. I would say. You got a good thing going here, explore it and extend it and have a show at the local gallery. We can't wait to see the pictures! Thanks for hosting. Hope you stay safe Thanks for hosting. Hope you stay safe and warm

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing your process, you are so talented.

Lowcarb team member said...

Your bottles are brilliant!

Here in the UK we have been seeing and hearing about the terrible storms on our TV news.

Wishing you happy holidays.

All the best Jan

Divers and Sundry said...

Power outages while they give you instructions on how to keep your pipes from freezing *sigh*

Love the bottles!

Happy Holidays!

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

Thanks for the instructions for the bottles. Enjoy your holiday, hope it gets warmer for you.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

Wow, who would have thought you could do so much with a bottle and paper towels ... Your cleverness is astounding, Nicole. Right now it is hard to imagine being able to do such a project, but after the first of the year, when it is too cold to go anywhere and there is nobody home but me and my FH ... hmmmm I'm thinking I might have to try this. I have all kinds of art supplies and what I don't have, I am thinking I might be able to get from my granddaughter, who, like me, loves to create. If I do this, I will let you know :) Meanwhile, Nicole ... have a wonderful Christmas and New years :)

Andrea @ From the Sol

peppylady (Dora) said...

Thank you for sharing.
No art this time around hopefully I will have something for next time.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Carola Bartz said...

Your bottles are simply amazing.
Below 0 sounds awful. I hope you can retain power so that you have heat and can cook and thus still have a warm Christmas.
Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Empire of the Cat said...

Happy Christmas Nicole! I just saw your comment on my site today, hope you are doing ok with all that scary weather and have a lovely day.

Luiz Gomes said...

Boa noite. Feliz Natal com muita saúde e paz. Espero que seus sonhos e projetos possam renascer ou serem conquistados.

Debra said...

I hope your new year is healthy and happy. Please stay safe in the weather. We had a bad storm here, but thankfully our power stayed on.

Mia said...

I love your bottles, Nicole. Using hot glue with the faces made of clay is a great idea.
Thank you so much for featuring my creation.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

baili said...

You surprise me always with your outstanding skills my wonderful friend!
Both bottles are done awesomely and look exquisite!
Fascinating job indeed
Sorry for tough weather. Seems like nature is testing all her children equally.
Thinking of you with heart full of prays and best wishes

NatureFootstep said...

they look great all of them. Maybe I should try to create some. If I can find some bottles or cans. :)

Have a Happy Ney Year.
NatureFootstep / Monica