Saturday, July 23, 2022

Garden Saturday

 Hi Everyone!

As all of you know this has been a very different spring and summer. We got record breaking rains right into June. As much as I covered and protected the plants they did get water logged. This made everything slow to grow and the harvest not as good as previous years. For instance my cucumbers are just now coming in. Last year at this time I was already canning pickles. It has also been very cool this summer. We have been holding between 58 and 65° with a cold wind. With all of that I have managed to harvest bush, grey and zucchini squash. A few beets, onions, potatoes, lettuce, spinach and of course lots of herbs.
My first year of gardening I had no bugs at all. I was very thankful. My dear friend Donna Z., a master gardener, giggled when I told her this. She said, "ohh don't worry the bugs will find you". Boy she wasn't kidding. Each year some new pest shows up. This year, and get ready, grubs, cutworm and loopers. OMG!!!!! They are so gross. So, remember the cabbage I picked the other day? See that hole on the side? As I was cleaning the head I noticed this hole in a leaf. I started going through the leaves to clean them noticing there was a lot of munching going on. I finally came to a leave that had a grub in it! I don't know why they freak me out so much. I didn't get a photo I was too busy putting it down the garbage disposal. 
It was friggen creepy.
Now for some garden photos.

 Baby cucumber


 These will be pinto beans


 Peas


 Blooms from potato plant in the ground


 Flowers


 and more flowers.


 Peas in the big garden


 Herbs peas n beans


 Spinach


 Onions, carrots, spinach


 These will be black beans


 A different cucumber plant


 Beans and more cucks


 Winter squash


 3 different types of onion, cabbage, carrots


 The is the pea plant on the deck

 

 This mix of flower seed is by the deck


 It also has a pea plant in the mix.


 I can't remember the name of these. I have had them for 8 years.

 and as I am typing this, the name of this plant just left my brain. Duhhhh....

A quick note on my health. I go in for a scan of my stomach on Tuesday. I have seen 3 medical professionals in the last 3 weeks. I finally saw a guy today that listened to me, and set up the scan. He also prescribe something for the pain in my stomach. Why is this so hard? Hopefully I will get some real answers and relief. The good news is I lost 10lbs in the last month from this. LOL
Hope everyone is well and staying cool.
 
Nicole

26 comments:

Leigh said...

Gardening challenges go from one end of the spectrum to the other! It's nice to see your garden coming in so well now. Everything looks good. I agree with you on grubs! LOL

I hope you get good answers from your scan. Someone who actually listens to you is priceless!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your garden look terrific despite the invaders, quite a contrast to the dry, parched conditions I am seeing over much of the continent.

Tom said...

...having a doctor who listens is key. What a difficult way to lose weight.

kathyinozarks said...

Your garden is doing so well despite the too much rain earlier-I will gladly swap my 100's for your low temps-smile- Everything is really burning up now in my state of missouri the governor is asking for help for the farmers and ranchers now with the draught here
It does take an effort to find a good doctor. I will always remember years ago when I was working for the phone co one of the speeches we had to listen to-was do not be afraid to question your doctors and get second and third opinions always don't settle.
Happy weekend

Mae Travels said...

Your painful stomach does sound of concern, and I am glad you finally found a doc to take it seriously. Meanwhile, your garden looks great despite the bugs. I agree that it's very unpleasant to find one when trying to cook!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Gene Black said...

I have never had much luck gardening. I didn't learn much about it as a child, because I hated being outside. Now, I realize that was due to undiagnosed allergies. Next year I am hoping to grow some chayote squash also known as mirliton and choko. I call it chayote since I first heard of it in Mexico. FYI, it won't grow there as you are too far north.
Grubs, wormy things that eat plants gross me out too. I have been putting sevin dust on Mom's tomatoes to protect them....but if you get it on the blooms they won't pollinate. So it is "tricky."

Christine said...

Lovely garden photos thanks for the update. We really have to advocate
For ourselves.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful post

My name is Erika. said...

I'm not sure 10 pounds is worth the pain but it is something good. Your garden looks great, and I am jealous of those temperatures. I don't like these 90 degrees with high humidity, but the garden sure does. Have a great rest of your weekend Nicole. hugs-Erika

Granny Annie said...

Your garden is amazing. So glad you are getting help for your stomach issues.

Anonymous said...

wow, great garden, you are a very good gardener and are doing great with greens. This year I have several types of drying beans, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, mint. Several spring things have now bolted including broccoli, and cilantro which I have never mastered. Next week, all days are over 100 degrees, glad we got the camo netting up for greenhouse and outside garden and to protect our Prius. Donna Z

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good luck on Tuesday! I sure hope you get some answers and treatment for your stomach pain!

sirkkis said...

Oh, how good you get a good doctor and will at last get help to your stomach pain. Thanks for sharing the beautiful garden photos. Weather has been so different in other parts of the land also here. The climate change sure is the reason. Here it's forecasted thunder and rain for the weekend. Hot days were only two this week.
I wish your weekend is good everyway 💚🌺

Rita said...

I hope they find out what is wrong and you can be rid of this pain.
Your garden looks marvelous. I have to admit I am freaked out by grubs and such, too.
Better days ahead! :)

Divers and Sundry said...

I continue to be impressed by your garden. I'm glad you found a doctor who listened and hope they'll get this figured out.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your garden is incredible. You plant so many things. Just unbelievable how much you planted this year. So glad it is finally taking off.

Nice to have a doctor who will listen to you, Nicole. I just hope they figure out what is wrong.

Iris Flavia said...

Despite the weather your garden grows much, much better than the "stuff" on my balcony!
Good luck with your doc!
I had pain in my ankle. The 11th (!) doc simply put up to simple scales, asked me to stand normal et voilá - my hip is uneven, I have to do a special, easy training and am good.
Fingers and toes crossed your 4th is my 11th!

Anonymous said...

Hoping your scan goes well and they find out what is wrong, thinking of you.
Your garden is doing well.

All the best Jan
https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

Jeanie said...

I know it is frustrating having so much rain (though many would welcome it, I'm sure) but I still think your garden is offering quite a harvest! Bugs will be everywhere, once they find it! But I'm impressed!

Rostrose said...

Dear Nicole,
I would be interested in which region of the USA you live in - in most blogs I read about great heat and drought... everything is different with you... Luckily you can still harvest.
There are also many pests here - bugs, slugs, etc. and it wasn't very warm and dry in our spring, but now it's extremely hot, hardly any rain and the plants don't like that either. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you (and me) that there will still be a few nice harvest successes - and I wish you all the best for your health problems too!!!
Best wishes from Austria!
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2022/07/blackout-teil-1-wie-gro-ist-die-gefahr.html

craftytrog said...

I'm so impressed that you achieve so much in your garden despite the weather Nicole! I'm with you about the grubs and bugs, they creep me out too.
I hope the scan is a success, and you get the treatment you need.

Cathy Kennedy said...

Nicole,

Your garden looks beautiful. You're going to have a lot of good veggies to eat before too long. I can't believe how much cooler it is out there than here. That sounds really nice about now but I know your winters are a lot harder than ours, too. Right? I sure hope you get relief from your tummy pain. The weight loss is that because you just don't feel like eating due to the pain? I hope the scan reveal something helpful but not serious news for your doctor and that there's an easy fix for what ails you. Sending positive energy, prayers, and love your way, dear friend!

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely garden photos and congrats on losing 10 lbs ~

Trying to see the good in each moment, Xo

A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Luiz Gomes said...

Bom dia Nicole. Seu jardim é maravilhoso e muito bem cuidado.

baili said...

Dear Nicole i think the recent rains my homeland and neighbouring countries ate experiencing came from your side as you mentioned record breaking yes wr are having co stant rainfall since more than half month which has made streets flooded and roads specially in small cities turned in streams .i love rain but according to news our area farmers will have great loss because of the spoils of date fruit.
Your harvest despite all is superb my friend!
Heartfelt best wishes for all you do next

peggy gatto said...

Hope you are feeling better!!