Saturday, September 4, 2021

Garden Saturday and making Ghee Sept 4

Hello Everyone!
I hope your day is going well.  So far mine is. The sun is out but it's cold and very wet. Speaking of how wet it is here, (without rain) I had to bring my pinto and black beans in and hang them so they will dry out. I did open one of each to see how they are doing and I do have beans. YAY!
The outside garden is done and I am cleaning and saving soil for next year. 
 
Hey do you want to see some beautiful flowers? Check out
 
 
 Beans hanging in my back room


 Beans drying


 Black and pinto beans


 Outside garden


 Corner of my deck


 Flowers are still growing.


 Sunflowers are just amazing.


 The top of the tallest sunflower.


 So strange tomatoes in my flower bed.


 These peppers are big and taste so good


 I told these peppers they better hurry up and grow. It is cold at night.


 The Cayennes are doing well but I don't know if it is warm enough for them to turn red. I did try one and they are SPICY HOT!!


Last month I was getting rid of a cucumber plant in the GH. A branch was hung up behind the shelf and when I pulled on it this huge cucumber came flying out. It was one I didn't see and it grew to this. I cut it open and it smelled wonderful but tasted very bitter.


 Just peppers and tomatoes now in the GH


 

 

Yesterday I made something that I have been wanting to make for some time. I made Ghee! 
Ohh so easy and so much fun.
 
 4 lbs of butter to melt


 The first stage of small foam


 The foam builds


 Then starts to separate and move to the edge of the pan.


 This is getting towards the end of the process.


 When it is done pour the butter into hot canning jars, wipe the rims, place on the lids and ban and wait for pop.


and it ends up like this. 4lbs of butter rendered 5 12oz jars of Ghee.
 
If you are interested in making some I follow Pam

 
If you don't think the delta variant or covid 19 can hurt you, 
YOU ARE WRONG! Protect yourself and others. Wear a MASK! 
Nicole/DVArtist 
Honor and integrity in art, in life.

18 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've never cooked with ghee, much less made my own. Interesting!

dmZapp said...

Nicole, tomato seeds get everywhere, even my recycled and sieved dirt has them and they come up in the oddest places. My peppers are just now starting too, hope they can hang on longer, I need rellenos. Tomatoes finally tapering off. Great gardening for you this year. May next year be even better.

Christine said...

How quickly summer has gone by, it seems you were just getting set up in your garden the other day.

Giorgio said...

I have never seen a cucumber so huge! 🥒🥒🥒
Congrats on such fabulous sunflowers, Nicole 🌻

Have a nice Sunday 😎

Tom said...

...my garden is still producing, tomatoes, tomates, tomatoes!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You still have some beautiful veggies growing, Nicole. Your beans are looking great, too. I wish my peppers had done something. Your garden is much more conducive for your area because mine fights heat and drought.

I've never heard of Ghee, but I have made clarified butter before. Sounds like a great way to extend your butter, too.

Valerie-Jael said...

Your garden is wonderful, you have worked really hard. Have a great Sunday, Valerie

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, you DO have some good stuff.
Congratulations. I´m happy for you.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

All this make me wish I still had a vegetable garden. Not the work though!

Debra said...

Your garden is amazing. I always love to see what you are doing. Please show us how you use ghee. I've heard of it, but have never used it.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

How busy you are with your garden. Great your beans and all your fruits and flowers.
The ghee is great, what gives it all.
Have fun with your garden, hugs, Elke

ashok said...

reminds how my mom used to make home made ghee...

Magaly Guerrero said...

Yay, beans! My wee garden is about done, too. I need to wait until things dry a bit (after the flood), and then I will also be cleaning and saving some of the dirt.

Divers and Sundry said...

Your green thumb continues to impress! I've never grown beans, but yours look like they did well. I've heard of ghee but never known anyone make their own. Cool!

betty-NZ said...

Your flowers and veggies look amazing! I love seeing all kinds of gardens :)

And I had no idea what 'ghee' was, but now I know, so thanks for that!

Lowcarb team member said...

Lovely photographs.
Pleased you made some Ghee.

All the best Jan

NatureFootstep said...

you have a nice garden. What do you use the Ghee for?? Just conserved butter? Never heard of this before.

Arun Goyal said...

I love the bounty of harvest from your space . Peppers looks relishing and tasty. I am glad
that you are able to make ghee . We Indians are very fond of ghee and use it in everyday cooking. Thanks for sharing with Garden Affair.