Thursday, December 19, 2019

Rain's Thursday Art Date and PPF

Hi Everyone!

I have been waiting all week for Thursday Art Date with Rain. The prompt is Holiday stories, carols and lore. Well this story is true and stays with me. 
I laugh about it now but back then I was heart broke.
I was 10 years old and quite the tom-boy. I have 4 younger brothers that looked up to me to show them how to climb trees, make forts, throw a punch and play all the rough and tumble games. My sister loved to join in but she also would spend hours with her dolls.  Since I was 6 or 7 I wanted a horse. I studied all about them from books from the library and would walk to the neighbor's who had 4 houses to help take care of them.  I had spoken to my parents about it and knew without a doubt  what I was getting for Christmas. We had the property and I made sure they knew I would care for my beautiful new horse. It was Christmas morning, my grandparents had arrived the night before  with two huge crate like boxes. They were not warped in bright Christmas paper like the other, smaller, packages they brought. My excitement grew when I saw hay sticking out between some of the slats of wood. There was no doubt now. I was going to open that wooded crate to find it filled with hay to carry out back to my horse. I couldn't stand it. My little brothers and sister were laughing and tearing the colorful wrapping off their gifts. My dad was standing  by the kitchen entrance with a cup of hot coffee in his hand and a satisfied smile on his face and then he winked at me. That was my cue to open the big wooded crate, just then my sister let out with the biggest and happiest cry ever.We all looked over at her. She had a life size doll that she was hugging. Now it was my turn. I pried open the the top of the crate and with out thinking bent over to grab the hay.  Both of my hands reached in deep so I could get as much hay as I could, when something hard stopped me. I looked down to see some blue printed fabric. I kind of gasped as I tossed excelsior (not hay) out of the crate to find my very own life size doll. I sat there stunned in disbelieve. Who in their right mind would get ME a doll? My parents saw that I was up set but before they could say anything I was running out the back to find my horse. The property was empty and so was my heart. 
I cried and cried all day long and I will say I was quite the brat too. I never did get my horse. 

So the art today is my Christmas dream that never came true.  
Be kind it is the first horse I have ever drawn.


Nicole/DVArtist 
Honor and integrity in art, in life.

19 comments:

Rain said...

Oh Nicole!!! That was a sad and heartwarming story! I can only imagine the disappointment you felt! Awwww.... :( Thanks so much for sharing it though! Did you ever consider getting a horse as an adult? That's something I'm still considering when I move to my property next year. I do love all animals and horses are so majestic. As is your drawing! So well done I love it!!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your horse drawing is magnificent! There's no heartbreak quite like a child's heartbreak at Christmas, is there. Your story touched me very much.

Elkes Lebensglück said...

It must have been a big disappointment that they did not get their desired horse and that the wish is still a dream. The horse is beautifully drawn. Having a horse was also my dream or to be allowed to ride on it but I never did.Thank you for this touching story of you!!!
hugs Elke

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful horse story, and your drawing is fabulous. Have a great day, Valerie

Christine said...

I loved your story, but poor Nicole! Maybe the horse wasn't practical. Love your drawing though.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your drawing is beautiful, but your story is heartbreaking. How very sad for you. I'm glad you were finally able to put it past you, though.

https://linsartyblobs.blogspot.com said...

He/she is a very fine horse.

sirkkis said...

A sad story but sure you have got over it.
Your hors painting is beautiful.
Happy holidays ❤️

carol l mckenna said...

marvelous horse drawing but such a sad story ~ hope you get what you want this Xmas ^_^

Happy Moments to You,
A ShutterBug Explores,
aka (A Creative Harbor)

Linda Kunsman said...

kind of heartbreaking experience for a young girl...
beautifully drawn horse! happy PPF and a Merry Christmas!

Crafting Queen said...

Love your horse drawing. How sad.

Lisabella Russo said...

Your horse drawing is wonderful! I'm so sorry you didn't get your horse, I wanted one too when I was a kid, but it wasn't at all practical for us.

Gillena Cox said...

Your horse is beautiful. May your Christmas wishes come true bring you much happines

Merry Christmas

Much🎅love

BLOGitse said...

Oh, so sad...I can imagine how you felt. We remember this kind of disappointments rest of our lives.
But today you can enjoy making your art - that's gift too!
Happy Holidays!

denthe said...

oh Nicole, that is so sad .... Did you ever get to explain to them what you had expected and why you were disappointed? I guess it's also hard for the parents when they think they got you a nice present and then it turns out they got it all wrong. Sad for all parties involved. The horse you drew is beautiful ♥ Hope you have a lovely Christmas, and I wish you most of all good health for the new year! Hugs xoxo

Lowcarb team member said...

Thanks for sharing your horse story …
I think your drawing is very nice :)

All the best Jan

NatureFootstep said...

such a sad story, even your drawing looks sad. But, soo well drawn.
Wishing you a merry Christmas even without the horse. Maybe in your dreams it will come true, :)

Tammie Dickerson said...

What a sad Christmas tale! I loved horses as a child, too, but never imagined I would get one - as we lived in the suburbs. We did get a wonderful large fox trotter when we had our children, and they helped and took riding lessons. She was docile and sweet as a dog! Love your horse drawing - they are very challenging! Merry Christmas and Happy PPF!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Nicole,

We certainly don't always get what we want but that's okay. We survive and learn from those experiences. That had to be a hard dish served on ya and I know every kid has had disappointments similar to yours but that's part of being human. Our dreams consume us and even blind us to what's practical. I'm sure your parents wanted to get a horse but horses are an expensive upkeep along not mention the cost to buy one. Maybe someday you'll get that horse you dreamed about as a child. ;) Merry Christmas, darlin'!