Wednesday, December 14, 2011

OOHHH EYE ART

Hi Everyone!

If you have been with me awhile or have looked at older posts, then you know I love "eye art". While looking around etsy the other day I came across a woman who creates some amazing pieces. I contacted her and come to find out she is also from Oregon. One of my readers mentioned that there are a lot of very good artists here on the coast. Hmmm .... I must agree.
So I would like to introduce to you, Jill from Twisted Sister Arts.

In her own words,

My name is Jill Lawrence, I'm the owner and artist of Twisted Sister Arts, in Oregon City, Oregon. Long story short...I was born and raised in Milwaukee, about 10 miles from here. After a life of working in the Floral industry, I found my self with two flower shops and widowed at Christmas 1996. I remarried 10 months later, to a customer of mine, but he lived in Philadelphia. I sold my stores, and moved, and a year and a half later, a dream job was offered in Chicago, so I took them up on it. I started my wire work, making scarf rings, to go along with my scarves I sold at a local farmers market. The wire work evolved into higher quality work, as I taught myself technique and style, and I joined etsy 3 1/2 years ago. I found weaving eyes 2 years ago, and they sold well. So well, that this last March, when I came home to visit my mother, she offered me the family home, and her in it! We went back to Chicago to crunch numbers, and said it was time to move back home. I gave my bosses 7 weeks notice, worked like crazy, my husband was sweet, and packed the house. Come the first week of June, we packed the car in 95' and 95% humidity, and left Illinois. We have been home now 6 months, my etsy store continues to be my source of income and I love working on orders daily.

My routine is to get up around 6:30, and stumble out for breakfast. I pack orders with my shipping department (hubby), and then work on listings and fresh work. Commissions and one of a kind pieces take most of the day, with many emails and photographs that buzz around the world. I have customers in England, New Zealand and Hong Kong, and they want the unusual and custom eyes and colors. I have learned that customs in other countries have their limits of 5 items per box, and a small priority mail box can usually arrive for $13.75. I take the time to write each and every customer, to have them know that they are dealing with a real person, an artist that creates wild and beautiful art.


It begins like this

 and then this

to create beauty

Visit Jill and tell her Nicole sent you.

Honor and Integrity in Life in Art
Nicole/Beadwright

6 comments:

Karen said...

That is one amazing piece!

beadologist said...

I got to meet Jill at the Portland Bead Society Bead Bazaar in Nov. and admire a few of her pieces in person. They were awesome! She is awesome!
Good find, Nicole!
Kelly/Beadologie

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Wow, very intricate wirework on those eyes! Thanks for introducing this amazing artist.

Ann said...

love,love,love!!
thanks for sharing!!
xo

Manouschas Perlerreien said...

What a great idea,it looks as if it have a look at me. Very nice!
Greetings Manouscha

Sarah Sequins said...

Gorgeous work! Just amazing. :)

I love eye jewelry, too. I saw Sam Kramer's art at the MFA in Boston this year, and I fell in love with it.