Thursday, July 15, 2010

CLEANING UP AND OUT

Hi Everyone!
The last few days I have been going through "stuff" in my house to put in a huge garage sale I am planning. With the packing up and cleaning of my siblings homes after they have passed away. I have come to the conclusion that all the things we acquire, in the end are just things that get thrown out. Oh some things go to other family members but in the end the items will still get thrown out. Soooo I am on a mission to lighten up and get rid of things I have not seen or touched in the last year. I went through the millions of beading magazines I have sitting on book shelves and gave them all away. I use to love a nice book shelf with all of my beading books and of course Steven King, however, the books have been read years ago and now they are just dust collectors. I have collected glass pieces, little nik naky things that I have enjoyed but now is time to get rid of. In fact I would never have all of these things. I would love a minimalist home........ buuuutttttttttttt I live with Mike. He saves everything. I think he would be a hoarder if I allowed it. Now when I say he keeps everything I am not kidding. Last year my old trusty coffee maker gave in. I bought a new one and asked Mike to throw the old one away. ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?? I found that old coffee maker in the shed yesterday along with the broken plastic canister that goes to my carpet cleaner!!!! What the heck would anyone do with those things? OMG!!! So you see what I am up against. So today I will start in on the art room. Ohhh yessss I am going through everything!!!! Can't wait to start on Mike's spare room. Hee hee hee
Have a great day everyone!
Honor and Integrity in Life in Art
Nicole/Beadwright

11 comments:

Regina said...

Ohhh wish we lived closer together girl....we love yard sales, garage sales,flea markets...one man's junk truly is another man's treasure..LOL!! Have fun cleaning!!

Hugs,
Regi

Pamela said...

I AM RIGHT THERE WITH YOU SWEETIE!!!!!

PURGE
PURGE
PURGE
PURGE
PURGE

Orion Designs said...

Mike sounds a lot like Rick. I have to admit that he is a great recycler and can sometimes find a use for some obscure part in an old dead coffee maker (in my case, it was actually an old dead stereo!)

Unknown said...

Good luck with that! I did it a few (well more than a few) and this is what I did. If I love it keep it! If it is sentimental but no place for it make a special box for those. If you have no use for it or really don't care for it (or haven't touched it in years) toss it. While I am not entirely minimalist it is much better!

Hugs

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Hi Nicole
Is Mike my husband's long lost brother. Or maybe they went to separate schools together!! ~lol~

Terry even goes through the bags I gather for Goodwill to be sure I am not giving anything away he wants to keep. O I could tell you lots of stories ~lol~

Enjoy yourself. And hide the bags!!

Bellesanbeaus said...

Good luck sweetie...I did this a year ago and am surprised at how much of it got replace with newer stuff! Got me no where...hoping you will have better luck...i should have a yard sale...i have 125 pieces of crackle glass alone that I hate to clean! lol but at the same time wished I lived closer to go to your yard sale!!! Oh i will never win! have an awesome day...big hugs beth

Unknown said...

My boyfriend is the same way. I tease him that he would totally be a hoarder if I wasn't around to purge.

Julz said...

Sounds like a rather enlightening experience!!! I used to collect all sorts of things...but when I got divorced...lots of those things were thrown out!!! I would love to live in a home with few 'bits n pieces', everything in its place...but there are teenagers here abouts...no hope...hehe! Enjoy your clean out!

Jan said...

You sure struck a nerve with this post! It seems many of us are in the same boat. My BF saves so much junk! I wouldn't mind so much if he would organize it. I feel real sorry for whoever ends up with this mess when we are dead and gone. good luck with your task, I'm sure it will take you the rest of the year. with Mike fighting you every inch of the way;=)

Healing Woman said...

I feel so bad that you have lost siblings. It must be very hard for you to have to go in and clean out their treasures. In the end, as you say, it will all be thrown away..all those keepsakes that we love so much...gone. Sort of sad but life lessons for sure.

beadbabe49 said...

Looks like it's going to be a great day to sort the treasures you must keep from the ones you can bear to part with, lol! (I hate to "waste" sunny days on indoor work in the summer!)